The Fall Of X Begins At This Year's Hellfire Gala And Calls For The Return Of The Uncanny Avengers

JayC

Fans who tuned into Marvel Unlimited’s X-Men: 60 Uncanny Years Live Virtual Event today got the exclusive scoop on what’s on the horizon for mutantkind! Announced by X-Men architect Gerry Duggan in a special video message, an all-new run of UNCANNY AVENGERS will kick off this August, spinning out July’s X-MEN: HELLFIRE GALA one-shot where FALL OF X, the X-Men’s upcoming era, will officially begin!

Hellfire Gala

The Hellfire Gala is always the biggest event of the season…but this year’s will upend Krakoa as we know it. What is meant to be mutantkind’s greatest night becomes their worst nightmare as the FALL OF X begins! Written by Gerry Duggan alongside an all-star lineup of artists including Kris Anka, Joshua Cassara, Russell Dauterman, Adam Kubert, Pepe Larraz, R.B. Silva, and Luciano Vecchio, X-MEN: HELLFIRE GALA #1 will be a giant-sized one-shot that propels mutankind into an unpredictable future. All your favorite X-Men are going to be left reeling after a series of shocking revelations, stunning betrayals, horrifying tragedy, impossible deaths…and more. Fans will also see their favorite heroes from throughout the Marvel Universe turn out in the most glamorous looks of the year and witness the reveal of the all-new X-Men lineup, including the winner of this year’s X-Men Fan Vote! Page after page of jaw dropping moments that no one will seeing coming, all in one CANNOT-MISS package!

Uncanny Avengers

THE FALL OF X will be a major turning point for the X-Men franchise that will see huge changes in current ongoing X-titles and the launch of multiple exciting new series! The devastating events of the Hellfire Gala and the tragic circumstances of FALL OF X calls for the return of the Avengers’ Unity Squad in a new run of UNCANNY AVENGERS written by Gerry Duggan and drawn by Javier Garrón! Innocent people and world leaders are dead after simultaneous attacks on the U.S. and Krakoan governments, and that means one thing: it's time for a new squad of Avengers. False flag attacks meant to whip up anti-mutant hysteria are unfolding and hey, some of Steve Rogers' best friends are mutants. Marvel’s new unity squad will include Captain America, Rogue, Deadpool, Quicksilver, Psylocke, and Penance. This powerhouse new team must solve the mystery of who the new, murderous Captain Krakoa is -- and stop his team of killers from igniting the fires of a new world war.

“Everything we’ve been working towards in our third act is coming to a head this summer,” Duggan told fans in a video message. “The Uncanny Avengers have existed to provide an example of unity between humanity and mutantdom, and they will need to work extra hard at that now as relationships and friendships have frayed in the events of FALL OF X.”

Also revealed at Marvel Unlimited’s X-Men: 60 Uncanny Years Live Virtual Event, Marvel Comics is thrilled to announce that D23: The Official Disney Fan Club will be hosting the first ever REAL-LIFE Hellfire Gala during this year’s San Diego Comic-Con in July! Get your gowns, crowns, and capes ready, and stay tuned for more details coming soon at D23.com/HellfireGala.

Take your first steps into the FALL OF X era in this year’s FREE COMIC BOOK DAY: AVENGERS/X-MEN #1 which will include special lead-in stories for the HELLFIRE GALA and UNCANNY AVENGERS. Stay tuned for more news including the debut of this year’s HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVERS, the reveal of the UNCANNY AVENGERS #1 cover, and exciting FALL OF X title announcements!

FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2023: AVENGERS/X-MEN #1 [GOLD TITLE]
Written by GERRY DUGGAN & JONATHAN HICKMAN
Art by JOSHUA CASSARA, JAVIER GARRÓN & VALERIO SCHITI
Cover by JAVIER GARRÓN
Available 5/6

X-MEN: HELLFIRE GALA 2023 #1
Written by GERRY DUGGAN
Art by KRIS ANKA, JOSHUA CASSARA, RUSSELL DAUTERMAN, ADAM KUBERT, PEPE LARRAZ, R.B. SILVA, LUCIANO VECCHIO & MORE!
Cover by PHIL NOTO
On Sale 7/26

UNCANNY AVENGERS #1
Written by GERRY DUGGAN
Art and Cover by JAVIER GARRÓN
Cover by JAVIER GARRÓN
On Sale 8/16

FCBDAVENXMEN2023_Cover.jpg

XMENHELLFIRE2023001_Cover.jpg

On 3/17/2023 at 3:07 PM, since83 said:

Seems a bit Uncanny heavy to me. Cap is the only Avenger, and Quicksilver is a tweener. Woulda liked to see one more just Avenger on the team. Looks good though. I loved the previous series.

despite what some writers would make you believe, Deadpool isn't a mutant either. He was given Wolverine genes to get his healing factor. that makes him a Mutate.

On 3/17/2023 at 10:12 AM, tarot said:

despite what some writers would make you believe, Deadpool isn't a mutant either. He was given Wolverine genes to get his healing factor. that makes him a Mutate.

He isn't really an Avenger either. Definitely an X character. I wanna read this either way though.

On 3/17/2023 at 12:39 PM, leokearon said:

The Uncanny Avengers was a good idea badly implemented

Whoo boy do I agree there. I picked up the trades of the original series or two ( was there 3 runs?) and they were tough to read through. 

And were the stories canonical? I've not heard anything about the child that Janet Van Dyne and Havok had since. Did that reality get wiped? Or disregarded? in the end the stories were forgettable anyway

On 3/17/2023 at 11:42 AM, since83 said:

He isn't really an Avenger either. Definitely an X character. I wanna read this either way though.

So... I agree with you about Deadpool. And this is definitely a "me" issue...but my problem is acquiring anyone who has served as an Avenger for my Legends collection 

So because of this book I'm accidentally collecting XMen now too. Off the top of my head  because they were on the Uncanny Avengers team I added Sunfire (both classic and that other version. AoA?), Rogue, Havok, Deadpool, Cable.. I'm sure there have been more that escape me at this moment. 

But in my gut none of the above feel like Avengers. Beast? Definitely,  but he joined when jumping teams was a rare thing and he certainly proved himself as one of Earth's Mightiest. 

I begrudgingly accepted Wolverine from New Avengers too but he was a very era specific addition. 

Gah, and don't get me started on the Savage Avengers....

I'll probably grab the inevitable TPBs since I no longer collect comics but more out of curiosity than excitement that they are putting out another Uncanny Avengers title

On 3/17/2023 at 6:23 PM, McHogan said:

Whoo boy do I agree there. I picked up the trades of the original series or two ( was there 3 runs?) and they were tough to read through. 

And were the stories canonical? I've not heard anything about the child that Janet Van Dyne and Havok had since. Did that reality get wiped? Or disregarded? in the end the stories were forgettable anyway

Yes the stories were canon as they led into AXIS but very few writers followed on from them

I'm thrilled to see the title return. But, this squad absolutely needs more Avengers representation. This just looks like an X-Men team being led by Captain America. I feel like an Uncanny Avengers squad she be about 60% Avengers and 40% X-Men characters, much like the previous volumes. The original volume added Wonder Man, Wasp and Sunfire to the team around the fifth issue. I'm sure more members will be added to this one. They probably just don't want to give everything away in a promo ad, especially a promo for a free book.

On 3/17/2023 at 2:37 PM, McHogan said:

Savage Avengers was NOT an Avengers book. They were just milking the franchise name to sell a book with random characters teaming up. Even though it wasn't a bad book, I hate it when the water-down the franchise by doing that.

On 3/17/2023 at 2:45 PM, leokearon said:

Yes the stories were canon as they led into AXIS but very few writers followed on from them

But where did Axis lead? Haha 

Were any plot.points or threads continued from there?

On 3/17/2023 at 3:32 PM, GarimusPrime said:

I did not know they weren't an official team. I read the first run and ot was okay but it didn't feel like an Avengers book. I actually wondered why it had ties to the Avengers at all as not once did anyone on the team say the word "Avengers". Guess that should have tipped me off 

I get what you're saying about watering down a franchise. Being a huge horror movie fan I often see films take the name of an established franchise and basically bastardize it into something unrecognizable.  Too bad I this case

On 3/17/2023 at 11:22 PM, McHogan said:

But where did Axis lead? Haha 

Were any plot.points or threads continued from there?

Kinda, it put Sabretooth on the road to redemption, and had him replace Wolverine (after Logan's death) in the Uncanny Avengers. That's the only real carry over, from what I remember. It was still one of the better event books in the last decade or so. Fun story, with decent artwork.

On 3/17/2023 at 11:27 PM, McHogan said:

I did not know they weren't an official team. I read the first run and ot was okay but it didn't feel like an Avengers book. I actually wondered why it had ties to the Avengers at all as not once did anyone on the team say the word "Avengers". Guess that should have tipped me off 

I get what you're saying about watering down a franchise. Being a huge horror movie fan I often see films take the name of an established franchise and basically bastardize it into something unrecognizable.  Too bad I this case

Savage Avengers was basically a vehicle to integrate Conan into the modern day Marvel Universe. After the opening story arc, there wasn't even really a team. It mostly featured Conan, and Dr. Doom. I never cared for Conan. The guy wears a loincloth and knows how to wield a sword...got it. Still, the writing was on point, at least with the stories that didn't tie into larger event books. And, Deodato's artwork is always a visual treat. So, it was a decent book. It just shouldn't have held the Avengers title on the cover. This would've worked much better as a Defenders book. But, well, as I stated before, the Avengers brand sells, even when it's not really an Avengers book.

On 3/17/2023 at 12:39 PM, leokearon said:

The Uncanny Avengers was a good idea badly implemented

I feel exactly the opposite. That series was incredible, despite featuring a bunch of Avengers I didn’t care about and revolving around a relatively lazy premise. I can imagine it didn’t make a whole lot of sense to people who didn’t previously read Uncanny X-Force, but I loved it.

On 3/17/2023 at 2:23 PM, McHogan said:

Yes, it was canonical, but the resolution to the story meant that Alex and Wasp’s kid was only ever born in a timeline that never came to be. They still remember her, though.

On 3/18/2023 at 6:22 AM, Benn said:

I feel exactly the opposite. That series was incredible, despite featuring a bunch of Avengers I didn’t care about and revolving around a relatively lazy premise. I can imagine it didn’t make a whole lot of sense to people who didn’t previously read Uncanny X-Force, but I loved it.

Yes, it was canonical, but the resolution to the story meant that Alex and Wasp’s kid was only ever born in a timeline that never came to be. They still remember her, though.

My main problem was that for a Unity Squad the team spent more time fighting with each other. I was especially disappointed with how Rogue was done.

That was sort of the point, though. They were called the Unity Squad because Captain America wanted to show the world that mutants could be heroes too, by pairing them with more socially accepted heroes, but they had literally just come out of a war with one another. They didn’t trust each other, and their “unity” was a (well intentioned) PR stunt. Hell, Cap even made Havok the leader as a symbolic gesture, but then couldn’t help himself from second-guessing and/or overruling every decision Alex made. It came across as very realistic and poignant take on what happens when you try to force unity for the sake of progress. It’s always ugly, even if it’s necessary.

On 3/17/2023 at 10:58 PM, GarimusPrime said:

Kinda, it put Sabretooth on the road to redemption, and had him replace Wolverine (after Logan's death) in the Uncanny Avengers. That's the only real carry over, from what I remember. It was still one of the better event books in the last decade or so. Fun story, with decent artwork.

I hated that story.  The only thing good about it was that it was short.  That’s also where we got the Wanda and Quicksilver are not mutants in the dumbest explanation possible.  It did lead to Superior Iron Man as well which was ok but short lived and not something anyone wanted.  Plus I’m real tired of Sabretooth redemptions.  Keep X-Villains as villains, especially him who is arguably the worst

On 3/18/2023 at 10:09 AM, TheJoaker said:

I hated that story.  The only thing good about it was that it was short.  That’s also where we got the Wanda and Quicksilver are not mutants in the dumbest explanation possible.  It did lead to Superior Iron Man as well which was ok but short lived and not something anyone wanted.  Plus I’m real tired of Sabretooth redemptions.  Keep X-Villains as villains, especially him who is arguably the worst

Oh, it was completely stupid. And don't get me started on the whole Wanda and Pietro no longer being mutants thing. Yeah, let's just erase 50+ years of established continuity, just so we can have the comics synergize with a movie that nobody is gonna care about in six months...

Superior Iron Man was interesting, but would've gotten old real quick. That's probably why they planned to have it come out just before Secret Wars (2015), because they knew they were hitting the reset button with the event, so they could really just do whatever they wanted beforehand. Probably the same reason that final issue of Hickman's Avengers book looks like it ended with Captain America and Iron Man dying while fighting each other.

On 3/18/2023 at 4:30 PM, GarimusPrime said:

Oh, it was completely stupid. And don't get me started on the whole Wanda and Pietro no longer being mutants thing. Yeah, let's just erase 50+ years of established continuity, just so we can have the comics synergize with a movie that nobody is gonna care about in six months...

Superior Iron Man was interesting, but would've gotten old real quick. That's probably why they planned to have it come out just before Secret Wars (2015), because they knew they were hitting the reset button with the event, so they could really just do whatever they wanted beforehand. Probably the same reason that final issue of Hickman's Avengers book looks like it ended with Captain America and Iron Man dying while fighting each other.

While I was never a fan of Magneto being Wanda and Pietro's dad, I still didn't like the Axis retconning them not being mutants for the lamest of reasons. Oh Magento isn't their dad so they must not be mutants either. What logic is that?

On 3/18/2023 at 12:58 PM, leokearon said:

While I was never a fan of Magneto being Wanda and Pietro's dad, I still didn't like the Axis retconning them not being mutants for the lamest of reasons. Oh Magento isn't their dad so they must not be mutants either. What logic is that?

I don't think their parentage and their status as mutants were specifically tied into each other, but, I absolutely hate the fact that they undid it. Having Magneto be their father was a fun way to tie the X-Men and Avengers universes to each other. The editorial reason for taking away their mutant status was due to Disney/Fox hating each other, and dropping their mutant origin was the only way they could appear in the MCU. Naturally, as always, the comics have to suffer because of it.

On 3/19/2023 at 10:03 PM, GarimusPrime said:

I don't think their parentage and their status as mutants were specifically tied into each other, but, I absolutely hate the fact that they undid it. Having Magneto be their father was a fun way to tie the X-Men and Avengers universes to each other. The editorial reason for taking away their mutant status was due to Disney/Fox hating each other, and dropping their mutant origin was the only way they could appear in the MCU. Naturally, as always, the comics have to suffer because of it.

Yeah, their parentage should have no bearing on their mutant status, after all they were mutants for 20 years before Magneto was retconned to being their father, so why should that change when he isn't. Avengers and X-men were already linked due to Wanda, Pietro and even the Beast and it wasn't really used much by either comic barring the odd reference.

FALL OF X is coming, and as the X-Men brace themselves for the dark road ahead, they’ll also find strength in mutantkind’s new ally: Iron Man! Writer Gerry Duggan, currently helming the X-MEN and INVINCIBLE IRON MAN ongoing series, will weave together and feature essential stories in both titles that will impact the X-Men’s upcoming status quo.

Things have already been set in motion as Feilong, the mutant-hating industrialist from Duggan’s X-MEN, is now in control of Stark Unlimited’s incredible resources and plans to use them in Orchis’ vicious war against mutants. As events escalate, will Tony step up to become one mutantkind’s greatest defenders? Or will he join them in the bleak world that awaits them all in FALL OF X?

Don’t miss these key turning points in both titles starting in June:

Following their soon-to-be-shocking debut in FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2023: AVENGERS/X-MEN #1, the new Stark Sentinels will have their first run-in with the X-Men in X-MEN #23. Feilong has devoted Iron Man’s technology to build the next generation of Sentinels! These upgraded versions are as hard to beat as old Shellhead himself and are fully devoted to crushing the X-Men!

Then in INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #7, Tony Stark is in dire need of a win! But how does he plan to get ahead? By building a new suit of armor! The suit’s first objective? Infiltrate and destroy Stark Industries! And that’s not all, July’s INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #8 will tie directly into this year’s HELLFIRE GALA! As the X-Men celebrate mutantkind’s biggest night, Iron Man has to contend with the new Stark Sentinels flying through New York! Can Tony stop these mutant-hunting machines alone?

Check out the covers now and stay tuned for more FALL OF X news, including new title announcements!

00-XMEN2021023_cvr.jpg

INVIM2022007_CVR.jpg

INVIM2022008_CVR.jpg