The Fall Of X Begins At This Year's Hellfire Gala And Calls For The Return Of The Uncanny Avengers

JayC

On 3/19/2023 at 5:03 PM, GarimusPrime said:

"...and dropping their mutant origin was the only way they could appear in the MCU..."

This is widely believed but not actually true.  There was already a usage agreement in place long before this change was made (heck, Aaron Taylor-Johnson was cast in the role way back in 2013).  The only stipulation for the usage was that they couldn't be called Mutants and Magneto couldn't be referenced.  

You are definitely correct that the change was due to animosity between the two companies, though.  Probably came straight from Perlmutter as nothing more than a petty way to needle the competition.  Nonetheless, they didn't *need* to change it for the MCU, they just did it anyway. 

On 3/23/2023 at 12:05 AM, RobertD said:

Probably came straight from Perlmutter as nothing more than a petty way to needle the competition.  Nonetheless, they didn't *need* to change it for the MCU, they just did it anyway. 

And this is why I'm grateful that racist and sexist P***k is gone. All he cares about was getting his way and damn the consequences.

Beside they could always change it back by simply saying High Evolutionary was lying or insane. Though the Magneto thing is something I could do without.

On 3/23/2023 at 12:09 AM, tarot said:

And this is why I'm grateful that racist and sexist P***k is gone. All he cares about was getting his way and damn the consequences.

Beside they could always change it back by simply saying High Evolutionary was lying or insane. Though the Magneto thing is something I could do without.

What has always been a problem I've had with Wanda's parentage, is the fact that she takes all the revelations at face value. She doesn't question them, to find anything to back it up. If she wanted to know about her parents then get a DNA test also ask her aunt who is still alive for more information.

On 3/22/2023 at 7:05 PM, RobertD said:

You are definitely correct that the change was due to animosity between the two companies, though.  Probably came straight from Perlmutter as nothing more than a petty way to needle the competition.  Nonetheless, they didn't *need* to change it for the MCU, they just did it anyway. 

Similarly, that was the same childish, petty, immature BS that made them try, and miserably fail, to kill off the Mutants and replace them with the oh so booooring, step-sister, perpetual extras the Inhumans. Now where are they? No one knows. I mean Black Bolt, errrrrrrr.......I mean Blackagar Boltagon made an appearance, and met a very satisfying end, in Multiverse of Madness, so we can assume they exist in the MCU, but now one of the most notable Inhumans in recent Marvel, Ms. Marvel herself, has been turned, or very strongly insinuated to be a mutant. That's what makes me angry that she's suddenly the first Mutant in the MCU. Of course, people hit me with the go-to rhetoric that I was full of hate and all the other locked and loaded cheap shots that are the norm for this time in history, but it had nothing whatsoever to do with that. These idiots, overly confident by the success given them by the MCU, put all their power and push behind the Inhumans to get rid of the Mutants and in the end they ended up having to back up a money truck to Fox to get those characters back. Now Mutants are the big game in town, and all is supposed to be forgiven, and suddenly there's a ton more characters that turn out to be Mutants after all. It's all so ridiculous, but hey, they gave Marvel a ton or "Return Of" stories to milk for many years to come.

On 3/23/2023 at 11:12 AM, monron999 said:

Similarly, that was the same childish, petty, immature BS that made them try, and miserably fail, to kill off the Mutants and replace them with the oh so booooring, step-sister, perpetual extras the Inhumans. Now where are they? No one knows. I mean Black Bolt, errrrrrrr.......I mean Blackagar Boltagon made an appearance, and met a very satisfying end, in Multiverse of Madness, so we can assume they exist in the MCU, but now one of the most notable Inhumans in recent Marvel, Ms. Marvel herself, has been turned, or very strongly insinuated to be a mutant. That's what makes me angry that she's suddenly the first Mutant in the MCU. Of course, people hit me with the go-to rhetoric that I was full of hate and all the other locked and loaded cheap shots that are the norm for this time in history, but it had nothing whatsoever to do with that. These idiots, overly confident by the success given them by the MCU, put all their power and push behind the Inhumans to get rid of the Mutants and in the end they ended up having to back up a money truck to Fox to get those characters back. Now Mutants are the big game in town, and all is supposed to be forgiven, and suddenly there's a ton more characters that turn out to be Mutants after all. It's all so ridiculous, but hey, they gave Marvel a ton or "Return Of" stories to milk for many years to come.

And this is exactly what I'm talking about. The whole trying to replace Mutants with Inhumans thing was complete crap. And they tried to do it because of the Disney/Fox feud. Same reason why the Fantastic Four was banished from the comic books for three years. When you try to turn the comic books into the movies, all you're succeeding in is ruining the comic books. The movies are fun to watch, but then then they're forgotten about. They should NEVER dictate what happens in a comic book, especially books like Avengers, X-Men and Fantastic Four, which each carry 60+ years of continuity under their belts. Wanna make MCU-based comics? Great. Start an imprint, like Ultimate Comics. Let it have its own separate universe. You can water down the characters as much as you want, and have all the bland adventures and terrible retcons your eyes can handle. Just leave the mainstream comics alone. They were fine for 50+ years before the MCU came along, and they'll be around long after the movies are no longer being made. They (and the true fans) don't deserve to have decades of continuity tossed out the window, just because they want to synergize with an upcoming movie that no one will care about in six months.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 12:30 PM, GarimusPrime said:

Oh, it was completely stupid. And don't get me started on the whole Wanda and Pietro no longer being mutants thing. Yeah, let's just erase 50+ years of established continuity, just so we can have the comics synergize with a movie that nobody is gonna care about in six months...

Superior Iron Man was interesting, but would've gotten old real quick. That's probably why they planned to have it come out just before Secret Wars (2015), because they knew they were hitting the reset button with the event, so they could really just do whatever they wanted beforehand. Probably the same reason that final issue of Hickman's Avengers book looks like it ended with Captain America and Iron Man dying while fighting each other.

Wait, what?? That whole thing about changing Quicksilver's and SW's parental origins was all about trying to link movies together and inter-studio feuding?? That retcon really, really irked me, but on one hand knowing this makes it a bit easier for me to digest. Dogs like the occasional roll in another dog's business and Hollywood holds nothing sacred in their shenanigans; it's just their nature. Still, how grossly petty all the same.

On 3/23/2023 at 1:02 PM, GarimusPrime said:

And this is exactly what I'm talking about. The whole trying to replace Mutants with Inhumans thing was complete crap. And they tried to do it because of the Disney/Fox feud. Same reason why the Fantastic Four was banished from the comic books for three years. When you try to turn the comic books into the movies, all you're succeeding in is ruining the comic books. The movies are fun to watch, but then then they're forgotten about. They should NEVER dictate what happens in a comic book, especially books like Avengers, X-Men and Fantastic Four, which each carry 60+ years of continuity under their belts. Wanna make MCU-based comics? Great. Start an imprint, like Ultimate Comics. Let it have its own separate universe. You can water down the characters as much as you want, and have all the bland adventures and terrible retcons your eyes can handle. Just leave the mainstream comics alone. They were fine for 50+ years before the MCU came along, and they'll be around long after the movies are no longer being made. They (and the true fans) don't deserve to have decades of continuity tossed out the window, just because they want to synergize with an upcoming movie that no one will care about in six months.

Agreed, though imo, Marvel comics had already taken retconning to ridiculous levels well before the MCU. The Spider Clone arc as well as the 'return' of Norman Osborn were the collective bridge too far for me, and I've not looked back. The mythology starts in the 60s and ends in the mid 90s, and everything else for me is apocrypha, lol.

On 4/2/2023 at 3:02 PM, Air-Walker said:

Agreed, though imo, Marvel comics had already taken retconning to ridiculous levels well before the MCU. The Spider Clone arc as well as the 'return' of Norman Osborn were the collective bridge too far for me, and I've not looked back. The mythology starts in the 60s and ends in the mid 90s, and everything else for me is apocrypha, lol.

I loved the mythological tapestry element of comics continuity until the constant reboots and mega events just ruined it all. The long running titles and continuities were a reason for me to be into it, not off-putting. Then it got to "should I bother reading this? It's going to be rebooted in 6 months anyway." And having individual issues driven by company wide mega events instead of the ideas of the book's writers isn't conducive to quality. "Writing for the trade" has also changed things to eliminate the overlapping B and C story arcs that made comics unique.

On 4/2/2023 at 9:02 PM, Air-Walker said:

Wait, what?? That whole thing about changing Quicksilver's and SW's parental origins was all about trying to link movies together and inter-studio feuding?? That retcon really, really irked me, but on one hand knowing this makes it a bit easier for me to digest. Dogs like the occasional roll in another dog's business and Hollywood holds nothing sacred in their shenanigans; it's just their nature. Still, how grossly petty all the same.

I'm dreading what Uncanny Spider-Man is about

Why did they have to do Beast dirty like that? He is an original X-Men and unlike Jean, Cyclops, and Angel who had the argument that an evil force influenced them. Beast does not have that going for him and so, it just feels wrong on the writers' part to make him a complete villain.

On 4/5/2023 at 3:38 PM, Hogun said:

Why did they have to do Beast dirty like that? He is an original X-Men and unlike Jean, Cyclops, and Angel who had the argument that an evil force influenced them. Beast does not have that going for him and so, it just feels wrong on the writers' part to make him a complete villain.

Yeah, I'm still wondering how long it will be until he starts wearing metal pants

• 3 weeks later...