A Second Marvel Legends Squadron Supreme 2-Pack Coming In 2023?!?

JayC

Last week we saw the Marvel Legends Squadron Supreme Hyperion and Doctor Spectrum 2-Pack from Hasbro go up for pre-order at places like our sponsors BigBadToyStore.com and Entertainment Earth.

Well it looks like Hasbro is going all in on the Squad this year as we have seen listings pop up for a second Squadron Supreme 2-Pack coming later this year. The second set looks like will include Supreme members Nighthawk and Blur. Like with Hyperion in the first 2-pack, we have already gotten a Nighthawk figure in the Marvel Legends line before. Since these characters have had multiple looks over years I can't say how exactly the figures will appear and the images below are for reference only, and of course these have yet to be officially confirmed by Hasbro so we will treat this as RUMOR for now.

Squadron-Supreme-2-Pack-2.jpg

On 3/20/2023 at 2:39 PM, since83 said:

If they do another 2 pack, and Power Princess isn't in it I'm gonna be annoyed. Just finish A team at some point!

he just told you that it would contain Nighthawk and the Blur. LOL Beside Zarda could be in a 2-pack with Phil Coulson or part of an Avengers Wave.

Normally I'm not a big fan of the redo's that almost certainly come with every multi-pack, but in this case I'm certain a new Nighthawk is almost certain to be an improvement on the old one. It was pretty bad and it wouldn't take much to outdo that one. Maybe with a bit more modern design and hopefully on the Vulcan buck since he's supposed to be of the athletic, agile sort and he would benefit from butterfly joints. What will probably happen is Hasbro will go overboard and use the new Spidey Super Posable mold.

There are so many iterations of the Squadron, it can be hard to keep track of them all. From the Squadron Sinister's first appearance in Avengers #69-70, to the Squadron Supreme's first appearance in Avengers #85, there have been so many characters, name changes and lineups of this team. My personal favorite is the Squadron Supreme from Mark Gruenwald's 12 issue limited series in 1985-86. It was Marvel's first extensive foray into the idea of parallel universes. Featuring a full team of Justice League copies as well as some interesting villains and secondary new members, it was very ahead of its time in how it portrayed an earth ruled by superhumans may really look like. I encourage anyone who still likes a well told and thought-out comic story to find old back issues or the trade paperback version. It is worth the read, even nearly 40 years later. I can only hope they continue to give us characters from this universe - Power Princess, Nuke, Skymax, America Eagle, Amphibian, Lady Lark, Arcanna, Tom Thumb, Golden Archer, Master Menace, Scarlet Centurion, Quagmire, Overmind, Lamprey, Shape, Ape X, Foxfire, Dr. Decibel, Pinball, Mink, Remnant, Redstone, Moonglow, Haywire, Inertia, and Thermite. X-men and other alt-universes have gotten love from the Legends line, I hope this one finally gets a little too. Chances are slim, but I hold out hope.

On 3/20/2023 at 12:03 PM, Air-Walker said:

Awesome, but yeah, if they're more modern I'm not sure I'll get them. The recent Dr Spectrum looks enough like his classic villain self, and the Hyperion can look like his classic bad-self too with a few mods. We'll see. I would absolutely get a modern style Power Princess though! 🙂

I'm with you on all of this.  Give me the Whizzer, not this "Blur" guy!    Already have classic Nighthawk so I'm good on that front.  Doc Spectrum and Hyperion can blend in just fine as classic Squadron, but I have no grand affinity for this weirdo Mephisto team iteration.  Power Princess is the only updated look that's bringing anything to the table.   I just want to see some classic Squadron members.  Preferably Gruenwald Maxi-series era but that's me. 

So to be clear we have Hyperion (Hit Monkey BAF) and Nighthawk (Thanos BAF) from one version of the Squadron. Then we have Hyperion and Dr. Spectrum from a different version. And a 2nd box set of the Hyp/ Dr. Spec team coming. Maybe.

There may be some cross over here but would it have been too much to ask to stick to one version? It's not like Hasbro has a great track record for completing ANY team let alone two versions of one team. 

And need I point out that another 2 pack leaves the newest version of the Squadron one member short? I think we can all imagine Hasbro leaving us one member short of a team again.

One could argue that Rachel or Marinna are more well known than Power Princess ( for example) but Hasbro has yet to complete Excalibur or Alpha Flight. 

All this being said my tastes lean towards the the older versions of the Squad but I love super teams so I've got some decisions to make regarding these sets.I've flip flopped on the Hyp/ Spec set so many times already. 

On 3/20/2023 at 1:21 PM, RobertD said:

I'm with you on all of this.  Give me the Whizzer, not this "Blur" guy!    Already have classic Nighthawk so I'm good on that front.  Doc Spectrum and Hyperion can blend in just fine as classic Squadron, but I have no grand affinity for this weirdo Mephisto team iteration.  Power Princess is the only updated look that's bringing anything to the table.   I just want to see some classic Squadron members.  Preferably Gruenwald Maxi-series era but that's me. 

I'm right there too. The Gruenwald series is really what I call the classic version. I remember reading the issue where Dr Spectrum inadvertently kills Nuke while trying to restrain him. There is a one panel throw away scene where a little kid (Nuke's little brother?)  is playing with Squadron Supreme action figures. Now all these years later we are getting SS figures. Pretty cool.

I always thought there would be no way we'd get any version of the Squadron due to their inspiration being the heavy hitters at DC. but now if we get an updated Nighthawk, he will ironically look the closest he ever has to Batman. 

On 3/20/2023 at 1:21 PM, RobertD said:

And me! Long live the 80s, say I! 

On 3/20/2023 at 4:16 PM, McHogan said:

One could argue that Rachel or Marinna are more well known than Power Princess ( for example) but Hasbro has yet to complete Excalibur or Alpha Flight. 

Or any version of the Avengers or 70s-80s X-Men, or Guardians, Defenders, Champions. I've been trying to be less cynical of late, but this is feeling pretty deliberate. They're stringing these things along like a day-time Soap Opera plot and it's grown wearisome indeed. At the very least I really feel they should make some effort to complete the original Avengers! Either way, one of the MAIN reasons I'm set on learning to just making these things for myself is that I don't want to still be waiting while I'm in a retirement home, lol.

On 3/20/2023 at 1:18 PM, Jormungand said:

There are so many iterations of the Squadron, it can be hard to keep track of them all. From the Squadron Sinister's first appearance in Avengers #69-70, to the Squadron Supreme's first appearance in Avengers #85, there have been so many characters, name changes and lineups of this team. My personal favorite is the Squadron Supreme from Mark Gruenwald's 12 issue limited series in 1985-86. It was Marvel's first extensive foray into the idea of parallel universes. Featuring a full team of Justice League copies as well as some interesting villains and secondary new members, it was very ahead of its time in how it portrayed an earth ruled by superhumans may really look like. I encourage anyone who still likes a well told and thought-out comic story to find old back issues or the trade paperback version. It is worth the read, even nearly 40 years later. I can only hope they continue to give us characters from this universe - Power Princess, Nuke, Skymax, America Eagle, Amphibian, Lady Lark, Arcanna, Tom Thumb, Golden Archer, Master Menace, Scarlet Centurion, Quagmire, Overmind, Lamprey, Shape, Ape X, Foxfire, Dr. Decibel, Pinball, Mink, Remnant, Redstone, Moonglow, Haywire, Inertia, and Thermite. X-men and other alt-universes have gotten love from the Legends line, I hope this one finally gets a little too. Chances are slim, but I hold out hope.

100% agree. The series was ahead if it's time. A rare case of the imitators rising above their original premise. Great stuff

On 3/20/2023 at 12:16 PM, McHogan said:

"...There may be some cross over here but would it have been too much to ask to stick to one version? It's not like Hasbro has a great track record for completing ANY team let alone two versions of one team....One could argue that Rachel or Marinna are more well known ...Hasbro has yet to complete Excalibur or Alpha Flight....."

Considering how many years they've been at this, its hard to understand why hasbo Legends isn't completing these teams (except for a very few).  Example, there was all this hoopla about the og Guardians of the Galaxy, with Yondu on the way, but they don't have immediate plans for the rest of the group. If there really was no way to include Rachel and Marinna in the box sets, fine, but they could have been easily done by now. I do get that they want to stretch these things out, and actually I can see the merit behind that strategy. But really....this is too long.

On 3/20/2023 at 4:16 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Another Nighthawk, man I want Blur, but Don't want to buy another Nighthawk, the one I already have is fine enough, but I do want all of the members I could get, just don't think I need 2 Nighthawks having 1 is enough.

Yeah if they did the first one correctly, maybe I'd agree, but they didn't. The paint was sloppy, the double arm joints were wonky, and the cape was just a big hunk of stiff plastic that restricted the figure's movement. Funny, a lot of reviewers at the time actually liked the cape. For me, the pointy ends didn't work; I know they were going for a "Batman" feel because he's supposed to be an alt version, but when was with the Defenders in the 70s, he was anything but Batman. At any rate, they really should re-do this figure. They could even do a two-pack with him and classic Valkyrie, and finally have the Defenders team done.

On 3/20/2023 at 7:16 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Another Nighthawk, man I want Blur, but Don't want to buy another Nighthawk, the one I already have is fine enough, but I do want all of the members I could get, just don't think I need 2 Nighthawks having 1 is enough.

Generally I have the same reservations, but as I said earlier in the thread, that first Nighthawk was as about a mailed in spot filler effort as I've seen, so if they can do even a moderately better job with it I'll bite. I was hoping to someday get a figure of the more modern version, which was actually a pretty decent comic at first, but eventually fell victim to the same old modern day Marvel BS that so many promising books fell to. Still a pretty cool character with great potential. I hope to one day see the character in the hands of more competent talent.

On 3/21/2023 at 9:31 AM, monron999 said:

Generally I have the same reservations, but as I said earlier in the thread, that first Nighthawk was as about a mailed in spot filler effort as I've seen, so if they can do even a moderately better job with it I'll bite. I was hoping to someday get a figure of the more modern version, which was actually a pretty decent comic at first, but eventually fell victim to the same old modern day Marvel BS that so many promising books fell to. Still a pretty cool character with great potential. I hope to one day see the character in the hands of more competent talent.

Agreed that the Nighthawk we have currently is a pretty mailed in spot filler, it's "fine enough" I never was a huge fan of his look, but I do like the character, I actually liked him the most when he was a member of Defenders for a while, which was where I remember first becoming familiar with him, the current figure was a pretty sad looking thing though, horrible plastic lump cape (which I just hate that cape even in drawing form), so I guess in reality a newer better executed Nighthawk wouldn't hurt.

On 3/20/2023 at 12:18 PM, Jormungand said:

Agreed, SS was something that seemed to meet an abrupt, unfinished, unceremonious end, way too soon. I know it was Marvel's attempt to basically say "see, we can do DC, but now were gonna build our own brand bigger and badder". It was totally intentional, but they could have completely gone on doing an alternate reality where SS was the prime Super Team instead of the Avengers (or others). It was the original Ultimate Universe. Of course, at the time Marvel threw all their efforts into their own characters and the "Copies" took the back seat, and to Marvel's credit they did will with their originals, but once the established them they could have gone back to fill out and build the SS Universe. People seemed to like those characters and particularly liked the way Marvel did Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman. etc. They had a good base, but basically failed to capitalize on it. Maybe they didn't want to use copies or maybe they didn't want to seem like property thieves, or maybe they were even afraid of litigation, but whatever it was it was a concept that never reached full fruition.