Next Marvel Legends Pre-Order Happening On 4/20 - What Could It Be?!?

JayC

On 4/20/2023 at 10:25 AM, tarot said:

actually pretty standard price. Surtur was 60 2/3 years and with the inflation and larger size it would be that price.

Surtur was only $52 at the time of release, the price of a 2-pack. By that logic, SA should be $56-60. Though to be fair, prices haven't been very consistent across this particular anniversary line. MK 1 is $28 and the Skrull set is the typical $56 for 2-packs, but then the Doom and Hulk 2-packs are both as much as they would cost as mainline releases. It's very bizarre.

Hmm inflation or not Super Adaptoid does not FEEL like a $70 product to me. And I'm fine with the reuse of the 12" Cap. The accessories, or lack thereof, are another story. Hasbro definitely could have included a more accurate shield, wings and bow and quiver. 

For me, the problem breaks down like this: this guy is 12" or roughly 2 standard 6" figures. Then there is just 2 accessories or what equals 1 per 6" figure. 6" figures are 24.99 each. Hasbro wants $20 more for essentially the amount  if plastic and accessories we get for 2 standard figures.

Hey maybe my toy math is wrong and maybe someone with business knowledge can try to convince me why Hasbro’s price is actually a good deal but this feels like a huge rip off. I'll wait for a sale or do without

Yeah, just, wow! Feels like a smaller, marketing cash grab version of the Hell Charger to me. Way more than it should be and doesn't have the value I hoped for with that lame buck reuse and no wings. Never thought I would say this, but I am not purchasing the Super Adaptoid. 

On 4/20/2023 at 1:26 PM, Jormungand said:

"...Feels like a smaller, marketing cash grab version of the Hell Charger ...Way more than it should be and doesn't have the value I hoped for with that lame buck reuse and no wings...."

Let's be clear: if a customizer had done this, they not only would have done a better over all job, they would've included the wings, probably the bow. In comparison, the multi billion dollar international toy company can only do this?? Given the overwhelming resources, funding and expertise at their disposal, there's no viable excuse for hasblo turning in this kind of product, and then charging such an outlandish price. 

On 4/20/2023 at 5:26 PM, Jormungand said:

Yeah, just, wow! Feels like a smaller, marketing cash grab version of the Hell Charger to me. Way more than it should be and doesn't have the value I hoped for with that lame buck reuse and no wings. Never thought I would say this, but I am not purchasing the Super Adaptoid. 

Yeah exactly. The Hell Charger was my first idea when I saw the price. I don't get the worth Hasbro placed on this offering. It feels expensive for expensive sake 

As my grandpa use to say,"I'm not mad... I'm just disappointed in you" Hasbro! Which is always way worse. I really expected a price point much more in line with the 12" MCU Surtur from the other year. That was not only a brand new sculpt, but I'm sure a fair amount of R&D went into the translucent orange covered in spot black paint app to get it looking as good as it did. This is a reused 12" Cap buck with and enlarged shield and Thor hammer, along with new gloves, boots and head. Not exactly the pricey creative/production process I would have imagined a $70.00 figure would require. Sure I know there has been rampant inflation over the last year, but that still doesn't account for this price. And let's be clear, thats the MSRP for the figure here in the USA. Then add state taxes and shipping charges and guess what kind of cost you're looking at... or much worse, our collecting friends up in the Great White North and overseas will be looking at $100.00 plus for this figure. I always try to see the Hasbro, corporate money making machine side of things, but it really feels like somewhere along the line on this figure, someone lost the plot.

On 4/20/2023 at 11:58 PM, super-chillin said:

Geez, would it have killed them to make an accurate SA with a price tag like that? I mean, gaw daang 😳

Exactly. The Saga of the Super-Acraptoyd (shout out to @super-chillin) continues. But unlike a number of posters here, I actually think this one stands a chance of being re-done down the line, this time accurately. Especially if collectors let this one go to the clearance bin. That may seem counter intuitive, but its possible they could see that their little cash grab trick didn't go as well as they thought, BUT they can see there's a great desire for this figure (if correctly done). In which case, they redeem themselves (not that they care much about that), AND also make a boat load of $ (something they DO care about). 

Or...I'm just totally wrong.

Time will tell.

On 4/21/2023 at 10:24 AM, Atlantis said:

Exactly. But unlike a number of posters here, I actually think this one stands a chance of being re-done down the line, this time accurately. Especially if collectors let this one go to the clearance bin. That may seem counter intuitive, but its possible they could see that their little cash grab trick didn't go as well as they thought, BUT they can see there's a great desire for this figure (if correctly done). In which case, they redeem themselves (not that they care much about that), AND also make a boat load of $ (something they DO care about). 

Time will tell.

It'll be rereleased with minimal updates in a 2 pack with Mephisto 🤣

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2023 at 12:24 PM, Atlantis said:

Exactly. The Saga of the Super-Acraptoyd (shout out to @super-chillin) continues. But unlike a number of posters here, I actually think this one stands a chance of being re-done down the line, this time accurately. Especially if collectors let this one go to the clearance bin. That may seem counter intuitive, but its possible they could see that their little cash grab trick didn't go as well as they thought, BUT they can see there's a great desire for this figure (if correctly done). In which case, they redeem themselves (not that they care much about that), AND also make a boat load of $ (something they DO care about). 

Time will tell.

We can only hope my friend. Personally I plan on doing my part to initiate this by saving my money. I know it's okay to a lot of people and as @tarot just showed with the Heroclix it's not the first time the design was used but for me it's just not enough to part me from my dollars. I think sales performance will be okay but not exactly as good as Hasbro expects it to be. There is something about those small details that matter. Especially at a time where prices are at now. Another one is the FA Hulk/Banner pack which MCUCollector has put a review on already. The Hulk himself looks great. The headsculpt is great. They put a little effort into smoothign out the muscle detail which was was unexpected but he should have been smaller. FA Hulk was actually a lot smaller than the current behemoth he is now. It even says in his character bio that he was orginally much smaller but grew much larger and stronger over time. Its just a little frustrating. Like why go through the trouble if you arent going to go all the way? Many will be okay with it. And many people will get it because it's probably the only chance to get that character. And many will get it because it's a new character in the line. And I'm sure with the Hulk set many will get it because of banner. To me they are new and they are different characters but they are just not essential to my colletion. And I've moved my collecting strategy when it comes to those type characters to be if it isn't right it's probably not for me. Now if SA had had the Bow and Arrows and the Wings I would have bought it for sure. No doubt in my mind. And if Hulk had been smaller he would be on pre-order right now. There's just that fine line and the biggest determining factor when it gets to that point and it's the money factor. I'd rather not buy altogether than buy and just not be happy with it. My modern Hulk is the one I'll be using in my main display and honestly SA is really not one of my favorite villains that would make my display. But I would have loved to have one in my collection if they had just done better.

On 6/12/2023 at 7:14 AM, AndyL said:

We can only hope my friend. Personally I plan on doing my part to initiate this by saving my money. I know it's okay to a lot of people and as @tarot just showed with the Heroclix it's not the first time the design was used but for me it's just not enough to part me from my dollars. I think sales performance will be okay but not exactly as good as Hasbro expects it to be. There is something about those small details that matter. Especially at a time where prices are at now. 

From the reactions here and across much of the community, collectors wanted a classic Adaptoid, this isn't it.  Bottom line, inferior and unwanted versions, which is a low bar, aren't justifying the price they want for this.

But believe it or not, I'm actually optimistic about this. I think there's enough pushback to convince the team to do this correctly down the line.  If they were to offer a classic correct version for Xmas or next year, I think a majority of collectors would absolutely jump on it. OR Marvel Select might take a swing, and frankly I think they'd do a great job just like they did with Titanium Man. If they did, it wouldn't cost $70.00 (T Man is going for $26.00 over at Amazon). At the very least hasbo knows there's an interest there and lots of money to be made!