Hasbro Spider-Man: The Animated Series 2-Pack - the Marvel Legends Series Mary Jane Watson and Green Goblin

toynewman

Both of these are looking good, that's a nice Green Goblin, it's very much spot on to the Animated Series, but could pass for comic, I do wish they gave us a face more like this with the Retro figure, but ah well, Mary Jane looks nice, but she's very specific with that outfit being the animated look which is great for what it is, I'll pass on both since, not doing Animated, but if I didn't have one of these guys I'd have probably got em to fudge into a comic display, I am pretty content with my Kitbash Mary Jane I got right now.  This Spidey Animated Series looks like it's shaping up pretty nicely, they seem to be getting things pretty correct and the cellshading thing they seem to be doing better at then the sweaty looks of the X-Men.

They look good enough but those headsculpts seem to only confirm my personal biased observation that Hasbro head sculpts are slowly declining in quality. Goblin is close enough but again it is as if a very talented sculptor only get to do first draft without any revision, Mary Jane has good body but head sculpt is far inferior to her previous Gwen pack headsculpt and two - pack, but that could be not due to sculpt but rather due to plastic they used that makes her look far worse than it should. I think DST bust really captured animated Goblin. I really wish they used pinless limbs for Goblin, that really could have salvaged figure for me, it looks pretty dated with 2012 buck cap parts, especially when we talking about exclusive set and the main Spider-man villain. 

spacer.png 

On 4/20/2023 at 10:34 PM, Itsybitsyspider said:

No offense, but your comparing an $90 dollar bust to a $25 figure.

You would be correct if it was movie or realistic comic book style but it's super simplistic animated style that is literally meant to be easily recreated by other artists. Irony here is that Hasbro proved they can do amazing movie figures with excellent detail work that is comparable to lower end statues, take Hela from Thor Ragnarok two pack. 

Almost all figures are digitally sculpted now, so the scale is only concern when it's time for reproduction, and Hasbro proved they can reproduce sculpts well enough.

There's actually no issue with the paint (aside from wrong choice of outright pink costume) but with sculpt, eyes are just different in animation (only one screen of secondary animation has somewhat small eyes), they have bigger size and different shape and when Hasbro manages to capture real life actors face they should also be able to capture simplistic animation especially when headsculpt is the only new thing for Goblin. You can also see how they couldn't capture MJ's animated likeness. 

spacer.png

Not enthused over this body being used again for GG but at least the green looks better this time and the smooth limbs look nicer than the scales. Annoyed that they gave him swashbuckle style boots again too. Maybe they’ll get it right on the next one,..when they make a pinless classic. 🤞👀 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 2:44 PM, Atlantis said:

I gotta wonder who designed MJ's outfit for this series. 

I don't know the answer to that, but I came across something a few months ago that I thought was really cool: this page from Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1, #168:

Screenshot(1606).thumb.png.3762323dc42422708d7110b2725fe2d0.png

I strongly suspect her outfit was heavily influenced by this issue.  Who knew MJ had a tucking-her-purple-jeans-into-cowbow-boots phase in actual continuity?

On 5/17/2023 at 1:01 PM, MonsterChris said:

I don't know the answer to that, but I came across something a few months ago that I thought was really cool: this page from Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1, #168:

I strongly suspect her outfit was heavily influenced by this issue.  Who knew MJ had a tucking-her-purple-jeans-into-cowbow-boots phase in actual continuity?

Whoa interesting find here, no doubt this must have been the influence on them designing her character the way they did for the Animated Series, because this is that look in the books, I always thought that her Animated look was just completely made up, but it seems they did put her in an outfit extremely similar here. I like that, always happy to know that source material was being taken into consideration.

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2023 at 9:01 AM, MonsterChris said:

That's wild. I wonder if they really did use this outfit for that. Added in the weird pink turtle neck thing and then changed the original yellow turtle neck to a kind of half-button pull over. Or maybe its just a wild coincidence. Either way, the colorist sure must have had fun. I'm guessing Peter borrowed these purple pants from Banner?  LOL

• 4 months later...

I'm definitely not a fan of the cel-shaded figures but I the spiderman animated series line definitely fired on all the nostalgia cylinders. Not enough for me to ever commit to collecting them but they are fun to look at. In particular, I like this interpretation of the Green Goblin. If the Peter Parker/Smyth offering is anything to go off of, maybe they will continue this animated series line without the cel-shading. That might be enough to tip me in favor of picking them up.