Blade Production Delayed Due To Writers Strike

Outsiders

Due to the writers strike, Marvel Studios has shut down preproduction on Blade starring Mahershala Ali.

This is the second time the project has been paused with the first time back in November to search for a new director and writer, which the studio hired Yann Demange, and Michael Starrbury to write a new script.  Starrbury didn't work out and the studio has hired True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto to work on the new script.

The studio wanted to begin production next month in Atlanta and will restart once the strike is over.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

On 5/6/2023 at 8:56 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Wow this movie is finding it'self hitting tons of roadblocks, I just hope this all doesn't wreck the quality of the final product.

I imagine as long as Marvel Studios doesn't hire any scabs to write this or try using an AI, and waits for the strike to end, the final product should be fine.

Not just Blade but all the upcoming movies and tv shows that aren't in post production, Main question is what about Deadpool 3, Cap 4 and Thunderbolts?  Are they safe since they are shooting or about to start shooting?  I'm sure they still need writers in the process of shooting, so at minimum it will be problematic. 

On 5/6/2023 at 5:40 PM, SpiderS said:

Not just Blade but all the upcoming movies and tv shows that aren't in post production, Main question is what about Deadpool 3, Cap 4 and Thunderbolts?  Are they safe since they are shooting or about to start shooting?  I'm sure they still need writers in the process of shooting, so at minimum it will be problematic. 

Then Disney should hurry up and make try to make things right. They can't do it by themselves, of course, but they're the biggest entertainment company in the world, and other studios would likely follow their lead if they were to negotiate in good faith and make real gestures toward compensating writers fairly for the 2020s and agreeing to regulations on generative AI.

On 5/6/2023 at 4:40 PM, SpiderS said:

This is a Writers' strike so any movie/TV series script that has been submitted and approved can begin production...

Captain America: New World Order is currently filming in Atlanta.
TV show Agatha: Coven of Chaos is also shooting in Atlanta.
TV show Wonder Man is shooting in Los Angeles.
Deadpool 3 will begin filming later this month in London.
Thunderbolt will begin filming in June in Atlanta.
Fantastic Four will begin shooting in London in January 2024 if Marvel has selected a cast.
Venom 3 is expected for a London shoot in a few months.

On 5/6/2023 at 8:38 PM, Outsiders said:

This is a Writers' strike so any movie/TV series script that has been submitted and approved can begin production...

Captain America: New World Order is currently filming in Atlanta.
TV show Agatha: Coven of Chaos is also shooting in Atlanta.
TV show Wonder Man is shooting in Los Angeles.
Deadpool 3 will begin filming later this month in London.
Thunderbolt will begin filming in June in Atlanta.
Fantastic Four will begin shooting in London in January 2024 if Marvel has selected a cast.
Venom 3 is expected for a London shoot in a few months.

They can begin, but MCU productions make extensive use of rewrites and reshoots during production, "enhancing both the storytelling and the bottom line" [Disney speak for fixing what's not working and filling in gaps.] Can't really do that with the writers on strike.

On 5/6/2023 at 8:09 PM, Satam said:

They can begin, but MCU productions make extensive use of rewrites and reshoots during production, "enhancing both the storytelling and the bottom line" [Disney speak for fixing what's not working and filling in gaps.] Can't really do that with the writers on strike.

I'm wondering if just using the scripts as is might be a good thing. A lot of these writers have their own vision and just do things they want without respecting the characters anyway. It brings to mind the constant reshoots and rewrites of shows like She-Hulk whereThe writer really sold it hard how much of a fan she was of the yet in the end it was clear she was not.

On 5/8/2023 at 9:00 PM, AndyL said:

I'm wondering if just using the scripts as is might be a good thing. A lot of these writers have their own vision and just do things they want without respecting the characters anyway.

I'm reading a bit of a contradiction here.

Anyway, I just saw an article about how Deadpool III could be in trouble, because Ryan Reynolds can't do any of his trademark improvisation as that constitutes making changes to the script, which is forbidden during a strike under WGA rules.

Also, as mentioned in the Daredevil thread, there's more to these productions than what a lot of people think about. A lot is done by workers in other unions, who won't work when the productions are being picketed by the WGA, as they consider that crossing the picket line. So, disruptions are happening even on projects that were already in production and in other areas besides writing.

On 5/8/2023 at 8:07 PM, Satam said:

I'm reading a bit of a contradiction here.

Yes and no. I was thinking of Daredevil and the massive changes in the original script against what made it to theaters. Keven Smith almost outright said the original was closer to the comic origin story. But he had so many ideas in his head and wanted to do so much that he tried to cram like 3 movies worth of story into one movie and the result was a cluttered mess that had to be massively cut just to make any sense. Ever since then every time a movie should have been great I wonder if it's another kind of situation like that. The writer or director starts to get tunnel vision on what the want to do and they write and rewrite a script so much it overtakes the soul of the project.