Ray Stevenson, 'The Punisher: War Zone', 'Thor' Actor Dies At Age 58

Outsiders

Veteran actor Ray Stevenson of both film and TV credits, died Sunday in Italy at the age of 58.  No details were provided the cause of death.

Stevenson starred in numerous film and TV productions including such superhero movies as Jon M. Chu’s G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013) as Firefly, The Punisher in Lexi Alexander’s Punisher: War Zone (2008), and playing Volstagg — an Asgardian member of the Warriors Three — in Marvel’s Branagh-directed Thor (2011). He would reprise the role in a pair of sequels: Alan Taylor’s Thor: The Dark World (2013) and Taika Waititi’s Thor: Ragnarok (2017).

The actor also lent his voice to the character of Gar Saxon in the animated Star Wars series The Clone Wars and Rebels and was set to join Rosario Dawson in Disney+’s upcoming The Mandalorian spinoff Ahsoka.

Ray_Stevenson.jpg

Volstagg, my friend, my brother. You have brought so much to life each day. I cannot thank you enough for the memories from your brief time replacing Frank Castle as the Punisher to our many battles alongside brothers Fandral and Thor. May you find peace and rest in the halls of Valhalla. We shall see each other again, my brother.

Very sorry to hear this. He was a talented actor and if the right vehicle had come along, he'd be right up there with the likes of Bryan Cranston and James Gandolfini- types who did mostly "character" acting till they got the chance to headline a show, then showed the world they had the abilities of a Pacino or Deniro all along. Really liked his turn on Dexter. Gone too soon.

This is a sad piece of news, Ray was a great actor, did a ton of awesome characters in his day, and way too young to pass, was excellent as Punisher and Volstagg and Firefly, he did a ton of good voice acting over the years, and I was excited to see him in the upcoming Ashoka series, also if you have never seen the movie Cold Skin, that was a weird good one, R.I.P. Ray, you still had a ton to give us.

On 5/24/2023 at 11:03 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

This is a sad piece of news, Ray was a great actor, did a ton of awesome characters in his day, and way too young to pass, was excellent as Punisher and Volstagg and Firefly, he did a ton of good voice acting over the years, and I was excited to see him in the upcoming Ashoka series, also if you have never seen the movie Cold Skin, that was a weird good one, R.I.P. Ray, you still had a ton to give us.

You'll still see him in the Ahsoka series. It'll probably feel a bit weird, though.
Speaking of good voice acting, he voiced the Punisher in an episode of The Superhero Squad, which was a show for young kids, and it was hilarious.

On 5/24/2023 at 11:16 AM, Satam said:

You'll still see him in the Ahsoka series. It'll probably feel a bit weird, though.
Speaking of good voice acting, he voiced the Punisher in an episode of The Superhero Squad, which was a show for young kids, and it was hilarious.

Yeah I'd have imagined they finished Ashoka prior to this sad occurence, so we will see him, that's at least nice, and will bring him more attention, but sadly he wouldn't be able to push his career because of it, yeah I never watched Superhero Squad, I kinda remember him in Star Wars Rebels as a voice, he had a great voice, and well he was maybe the best Punisher IMO.

On 5/24/2023 at 11:24 AM, Satam said:

I misspoke. Ray's appearance in the show was hilarious. I think I only watched the episode he was in, and not the whole thing, either.

Edit: I found the clip

Ha yeah I've actually seen that Clip, I forgot I had, not sure why I have seen it, but clearly somebody in internet land posted it somewhere, yeah a good cameo from Ray, his voice was pretty much perfect for Frank, gruff and menacing.