Marvel Legends Amazon Exclusive West Coast Avengers Boxset Revealed

JayC

On 5/28/2023 at 10:26 PM, McHogan said:

This set gives us two more much requested West Coast  Avengers and another shot at three others if you missed them or want updated versions (for better or worse). 

Hasbro probably can never truly complete the Avengers (or XMen) since new members are constantly being added. But the WEST COAST AVENGERS only needs a few more characters to give us the complete team. They are:

The Thing.  he'd need to be in his Black and red suit to represent his time with the WCA (like 4 or 5 issues haha)

Firebird. Or Espirita depending if you count her very short time as this incarnation 

Moon Knight of course with the gold accessories

Jim Hammond Human Torch. Currently using the translucent Johnny Storm as a stand in. This guy would be so easy to do powered up or down

Living Lightning, again would need a powered up and down version

That's it. Shoot there's our next box set. 

I don't count the Shroud, seems people always confuse him as an early member because of a pin up in the back of an Annual but his entire association as it were was listening to Hawkeye's recruitment pitch and deciding he was going to keep doing his own thing. Nor do I count the recent team led by Kate Bishop. Strictly classic WCA

In one form or another we've got Darkhawk, Machine Man, to fill out their ranks as well as the versions JayC posted at the top.

Here's to completing a classic Marvel Team

Be that as it may, I really love the character of the Shroud and really hope this easy redo of a Cloak figure with new head sculpt and solid black cape is done in the near future. He was kind of another Batman photo-copy with elements of the old 70's television show Kung-Fu thrown in. The hero fighting crime from the inside as a boss villain. And I just love the Darkforce characters, I hope an effect is made for them and Marvel explores that dimension in the near future in the comics.

Bear with me, I'm espousing a ( maybe silly) "conspiracy theory" of mine.....

That maybe Hasbro is DELIBERATELY getting the looks of some of these characters "wrong" so that they have an excuse to come back and revisit them again......and ....maybe, again.
Those that require newly-tooled parts get "new parts", but not enough or incorrect new parts, but just enough to flop a new set that collectors (grudgingly) consider must-have.  The perennial pervasive thinking is that "this will be all we ever get", which fuels  the buys, but then a year later down the road we get the "correct" version.
I mean.........there's multiple sales in that scheme, which is the point, and it allows for new "fresh" tooling of parts over time.
Of course they could just give us the accurate version at the outset and be done with it...........but they cannot milk it dry then.
Just a thought of mine....

Oh man Hasbro #@$%ed me again with early releasing this set. I mean it was scheduled for OCTOBER. Now it's arriving in 4 days. 

I love this set and can't wait to get it in hand and the unexpected cost 2 months earlier than planned won't deter from that. But this practice of setting a date ( guesstimate I know) then surprising collectors months early has got to stop. This and the staggering of pre-orders weeks and months apart then releasing it all within days of each other is equally pointless. As literally hundred of dollars has come out of my account int he past 2 weeks.

You can count on this happening around Xmas as well. I'm not sure what Hasbro is thinking but it's staring to feel inconsiderate. 

As for the set: still love it! Pym and Mockingbird are incredible additions in a summer of amazing Avengers releases. 

On 8/4/2023 at 6:44 PM, TheArrow said:

Bear with me, I'm espousing a ( maybe silly) "conspiracy theory" of mine.....

That maybe Hasbro is DELIBERATELY getting the looks of some of these characters "wrong" so that they have an excuse to come back and revisit them again......and ....maybe, again.
Those that require newly-tooled parts get "new parts", but not enough or incorrect new parts, but just enough to flop a new set that collectors (grudgingly) consider must-have.  The perennial pervasive thinking is that "this will be all we ever get", which fuels  the buys, but then a year later down the road we get the "correct" version.
I mean.........there's multiple sales in that scheme, which is the point, and it allows for new "fresh" tooling of parts over time.
Of course they could just give us the accurate version at the outset and be done with it...........but they cannot milk it dry then.
Just a thought of mine....

You may be onto something. How else do you explain 5 releases of Infinity War Iron Man and Thanos. The last of which was  Arguably the best version of each BTW. And Far From Home Spidey has nearly as many releases. 

And then there was the pre Walanda Forever wave that was all re-releases but with better paint and sculpts. Then animated Killmonger.Then Ragnarok Hulk. Then a rumored Best Of MCU wave. And one could argue the Thor's bearded headfrom the Destroyer box set should have been included with the 80th anniversary figure. But fans had to buy it again. The list goes on and on.. classic Dr Strange,  Siryn...

You may have uncovered a "grassy knoll" conspiracy here after all....

On 8/5/2023 at 1:28 AM, McHogan said:

Oh man Hasbro #@$%ed me again with early releasing this set. I mean it was scheduled for OCTOBER. Now it's arriving in 4 days. 

that's not on Hasbro. Once it leaves the factory it not and shipped to distribution centers, they have no control over when stuff arrives. if anything this is one Amazon themselves. They could have stuck to the date but decided not to.

On 8/4/2023 at 7:28 PM, McHogan said:

I love this set and can't wait to get it in hand and the unexpected cost 2 months earlier than planned won't deter from that. But this practice of setting a date ( guesstimate I know) then surprising collectors months early has got to stop. This and the staggering of pre-orders weeks and months apart then releasing it all within days of each other is equally pointless. As literally hundred of dollars has come out of my account int he past 2 weeks.

You can count on this happening around Xmas as well. I'm not sure what Hasbro is thinking but it's staring to feel inconsiderate. 

As for the set: still love it! Pym and Mockingbird are incredible additions in a summer of amazing Avengers releases. 

Yeah, Hasbro's horrible inconsistencies with estimated release dates are one of multiple reasons that I pre-order less and less from them. I didn't order this set, but I pre-ordered 4 GI Joe figures (scheduled for September) and one Indiana Jones figure (scheduled for December), and they all just shipped. 

On 8/4/2023 at 6:36 PM, McHogan said:

You may have uncovered a "grassy knoll" conspiracy here after all....

We're all marks, right??  How many times have we been suckered by "teh BEST all-new Captain America figure, EVAH!!!"   <coughs....shows hand>
I mean, pick a character.......they can get us with anyone.

Hasbro upgrades...and then upgrades the upgrade! 
I'm not complaining, I'm kinda bemused by it all--because the collecting mindset is really kinda self-defeating in this.
FOMO plays on EVERYONE'S mind at some point.....and we all have our own personal anecdotes about FOMO.

And really.........a lot of this is simply the dreaded " Malibu Stacy WITH HAT" thing at work.   Ugh.

I just wish I wasn't so weak, LOL.

I woke up to find out that this set is coming today!! I am really excited. I definitely understand the annoyance with the pre-order date vs when you get it. Most of my Avengers 60th stuff either got here or is shipping, got Drax and Moondragon last week and now this. Didn't expect all this charged so close together. In all honesty, the only reason I'd actually complain about that is to sound like a responsible adult lol. I'm getting a bunch of awesome figures!

Have we seen in-hand review images of the Tigra included in this set yet? Just curious to see if the orange is less neon enough to justify the hunt for her.

I'm really not that interested in any of the other figures included, but I'd love to have a Tigra that I CAN'T spot from across a dark room. And with better hair! 🐯

Mine looks like it's scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday. Even though I purchased this, I can't say that I'm super excited about it. My favorite figure in the set is probably Mockingbird. Arachne and Tigra are probably just minor upgrades over those that came prior. Civilian Hank is nice, but I probably won't actually use it for Hank. Then there's another Iron Man for the ever expanding Hall of Armors. I would have like it if they could have given us at least one character here that hadn't been made before. Mockingbird was done during the dark days she was definitely due for a re-do, but someone new to the line would have been nice. Someone else mentioned The Shroud in another recent post - this would have been a decent place to have put him.

My set will be here Tuesday. Seeing better pics I'm super excited to get this set. 

I don't mind the double dipping here on Iron Man, Spider Woman and Tigra since my plan is to display favorite lineups and except for Spidey Woman, the rest have been on multiple lineups.

Pym and Mock are awesome.  I get the knocks and I'm sure we will see at least Mock improved down the line but I'm chalking these two up as wins for my collection 

The set does look great. I would have liked to see them tweek the Iron Man buck a bit more, the head/ neck thing, but even boot swivels would have been nice. And yes, Tigra and Spider Woman are huuuuge improvements indeed! Mockingbird looks better up close than I thought too, This set is coming early to Canada yet, but it's all the better; been an expensive month! 

On 8/4/2023 at 10:56 PM, TheArrow said:

And really.........a lot of this is simply the dreaded " Malibu Stacy WITH HAT" thing at work.   Ugh.

I just wish I wasn't so weak, LOL.

On the one hand, its a nice box set if you never got the chance to get these. Its sad that they decided to put so little effort into correcting the errors from before. Iron Man's armor backpack, for example, would have been a simple fix, as the piece never looked like that in the first place. Instead of the simple and distinct geometric design, they added complications which just made more work for them. Marvel Select got it right, even Toybiz's version was more accurate. I am baffled that they made Pym without the pockets (look at Spiral) but even more floored they gave Mockingbird such weird, stunted sleeves when they could've re-used the ones from Lady Deathstrike. Tigra, at least, does look like the orange won't burn your retinas so that's good. 

Bottom line, they only needed to make a few tweaks here and there to make the set stellar instead of phoned in. 

On 8/5/2023 at 5:43 PM, tarot said:

Spider-woman and Tigra are huge improvement. Also, nice to see you can use the Spider-web effect on the new one. 

See I agree that Tigra is a improvement, her colors are better muted, and is tempting, but not to buy the whole set, Julia however has a better buck, but I actually think the old head is way better and has more detail, this new head is really soft in the features, the older one looks to have better hair as well IMO, I prefer the old head, I would buy this figure if it had been released alone and pop the old head on it (will someone who has both show us what that looks like?), same with Tigra or Bobbi, although I never really cared for bobbi in this outfit, Iron Man doesn't look like they fixed the neck issue which is too bad, I also prefer the silver, this seems like it's white?, too bad they could have made that figure far better, it's a great armor but now that they did this, probably won't be likely anytime soon we'd see the update we should have gotten which is improved neck articulation.

I feel like Bobbi is the standout. I don't mind the sleeves as much in hand.

So awesome that we actually have a team!!!

Btw, if anyone hasn't tried switching that Wonderman's head with the red coat one should check it out. He looks pretty perfect to me. Like the 90s series covers.

Mockingbird is decent enough, I would prefer double jointed elbows with crazy sleeves which would be hard to do but not impossible, also I can't figure out if it's actually Shriek legs she has or it's something new, looks kinda thinner. Tigra is a definite improvement with her more yellow fur color, I could say the same for Spider-Woman but the way they painted legs without properly color matching black plastic is really bad, however original head is suprior even tho new head is totally accurate to comics. 

Hmmmm.... I changed my payment method for this set and it no longer says arriving tomorrow.  Instead it reads they will email me when they have an expected delivery date.

Did somehow changing which credit card I'm using make me lose my early delivery? Weird.

But also, I've got a other set ordered for a friend that still reads that the set will be delivered before 10 tomorrow.  Even though it still hadn't been charged? The heck is going on with Amazon these days?!?

On 8/7/2023 at 8:55 PM, McHogan said:

Hmmmm.... I changed my payment method for this set and it no longer says arriving tomorrow.  Instead it reads they will email me when they have an expected delivery date.

Did somehow changing which credit card I'm using make me lose my early delivery? Weird.

But also, I've got a other set ordered for a friend that still reads that the set will be delivered before 10 tomorrow.  Even though it still hadn't been charged? The heck is going on with Amazon these days?!?

I don't think it has anything to do with your payment change. I originally was supposed to receive this today also but I had to approve a delay today and I didn't make any change. There is no updated estimated delivery date available. What is weird about that is that I know of people who already received it over the last few days. It's possible that Amazon ran out of stock, found what they had in the warehouse was damaged or Hasbro asked them to hold until closer to original expected release date. It could be just about anything. Who knows, really? I'm disappointed because I was looking forward to getting these today.

Oddly enough my set has already been delivered and I am really pleased with the set. I'm really happy with the body models they used and there is no Kate body in sight. The Mockingbird body seems to be the Psylocke body which I really like in spite of the larger upper thigh gaps. But this is a far better looking model for the more athletic females than the Kate model. Spider-Julia is thankfully using the Shriek model now but I will be swapping the head portrait out from the older figure. The Pym figure looks a little larger but he is the best Pym to date. The head sculpt is exceptional. Tigra's colors are much better but I must admit I wish she was on a buffer body mold. To me as a feline character with great strength and agility she should look the part. But again it is better than the previous and at least they didn't try to put her in a full bodysuit. The ugly duckling of the crew is Iron Man. The color switch from silver to white is nonsensical but that seems to be the only change. I really was hoping they'd take the opportunity to fix the entire head and neck issue. It can be done. Not only have many people done it on Youtube and other socials but the Marvel Select team didn't seem to be plagued with the same restrictions that the Hasbro team sights as reasoning even though MS is clearly the inferior brand.

• 2 months later...