Marvel Legends The Marvels Themed Wave Revealed

JayC

On 6/6/2023 at 2:46 PM, GarimusPrime said:

Karnak...I'm not a big Inhumans fan, (I used to simply be indifferent towards them until they crammed the Inhumans down our throats in an attempt to replace Mutants, a few years back, now I downright despise them) so he's 50/50 for me.

It's hard to blame Marvel for this. Basically while Fox held the movie and television rights to the X-Men and Fantastic Four any characters or storylines that they introduced in those books would immediately become owned intellectual property for Fox for movie/television. It also just so happens that the movies/shows make far more money than the comics. Eventually Marvel got tired of feeding Fox's pockets with their creative - so they almost completely stopped using those properties for a while. We know that eventually Disney bought out Fox's interests in those intellectual properties when they acquired the movie studio and thus it's no longer an issue.

I personally feel that the X-Men are likely the most valuable intellectual property in comics, probably even more so than Batman. I just can't blame Marvel for giving Fox the middle finger and sidelining these characters for a bit. It would be like you completing a project at work but your rival getting all of the credit and raise for your work. I'm glad that these properties are back at Marvel and we don't have to worry about it anymore! Now if they just could get the full rights back for Spider-Man, Hulk, Namor, etc... not to even mention ROM and the Micronauts....

I don't enjoy the Inhumans any where near as much as the X-Men (although I do still enjoy them!), but I certainly don't blame Marvel one bit for trying to increase interest in the Inhumans at the expense of the X-Men during that time.

Karnak is definitely my favorite figure from this wave (although I love the Brawn BAF too!)

Now that I had a proper chance to look through them:

• Karnak - Instant buy. In defense of the Pizza Spidey, it works for this character. He has always been a lean and short person, so it was either this or the new teenage mold for him they used for Franklin and Quentin.
  • Noh-Varr - Another instant buy. The Protector version is reeeeaaallllyyyyy showing it's age. Plus Now I can add this to my Young Avengers. Hopefully we can get a new Hulkling and Wiccan and a comic version of America soon
  • Heroes Returns Iron Man - This was the armor he was wearing when I started reading comic so it has always been "my" armor for the horn head. THAT being said, this will be put into the villains display as I will be using it for the Sentient version (yes Adour, I know I know).
  • Commander Rogers - This one actually pisses me off. Not that it's not a fantastic figure because it is and a massive improvement but they could have easily included Nick Fury Jr. part for it if they had just paint the neck.
  • Ms. Marvel - That face but I do like the Flarken dog?
  • Captain Marvel - MEH. Nothing too exciting. Kind of wish she was the one without a baf piece. The least liked of this wave
  • Photon - Absolutely gorgeous. If I didn't have the 2-pack classic version comic she would be my display version as it's very like the one from the recent comic.
  • Totally Awesome Hulk - Love this BAF and will make me buy the wave. Yes, it's a bit generic but You give me a new character and I will buy it. Now Hasbro. VIV and Teenage Scott next. Let's complete the founding Champions.

Over all I give it a 7 /10

On 6/6/2023 at 6:27 PM, ADour said:

😛

In your defense, I am thinking of buying a duplicate and painting pupils in its eye slits for my Iron Man villains shelf.

Is purple eyes the only difference between Starks armor and the sentient suit? I may do the same as you. Even with my limited skills as a painter can't mess that up ! 

I know this is another start to another era of the Avengers but I'd love Hasbro to knock out some of these costumes. In truth, we have or will be getting a lot of these with the bearded head on the Masterson Thor, the upcoming Hawkeye, I swear Cap had his Photon shield here but he will be using it soon enough.. not a huge fan of this version of Wanda but she almost never gets anything but her classic suit, this Quicksilver would be amazing... I may be in the minority but it would be nice to get alternate classic suits every now and again. 

avengersreturn.jpg

On 6/6/2023 at 9:28 PM, McHogan said:

I know this is another start to another era of the Avengers but I'd love Hasbro to knock out some of these costumes. In truth, we have or will be getting a lot of these with the bearded head on the Masterson Thor, the upcoming Hawkeye, I swear Cap had his Photon shield here but he will be using it soon enough.. not a huge fan of this version of Wanda but she almost never gets anything but her classic suit, this Quicksilver would be amazing... I may be in the minority but it would be nice to get alternate classic suits every now and again. 

avengersreturn.jpg

Cap's photon shield probably came along at about issue #4 of this series, right after the events in his own book.

On 6/6/2023 at 10:21 PM, McHogan said:

Is purple eyes the only difference between Starks armor and the sentient suit? I may do the same as you. Even with my limited skills as a painter can't mess that up ! 

The difference is that the Sentient Armor gave itself eerie white pupils:

sentient.png

And thinking about it, if you paint the eyes of this figure orange you can get yourself a Dimitrios from Avengers A.I., he was an evil A.I. who housed itself in the corpse of the Sentient Armor, and he was the main villain of the book:

dimitrios.png

That being said, I think a Dimitrios custom would go over most people's heads since glowing eyes for Iron Man are common, whereas the eerie white pupils are a much more clear visual cue that this Iron Man isn't your regular Iron Man.

On 6/6/2023 at 11:46 AM, Ironspider428 said:

The BAF being comic saves me so much money lol. No interest in any of the comics stuff here. The movie stuff looks good, I’ll have to see the movie to be really excited about it but the suits and likenesses all look great. So glad to see Carol in that suit, as opposed to her other one from the trailer. Also is that supposed to be Goose included with Kamala? Why is he white instead of orange? Maybe a different flerken? Monica looks great, I may grab a second one for the Wandavision display. I do hope we get more figures from the movie, especially the villain.

From what I can tell on the trailer, it is adifferent flerken. There appeared to be a new litter of kittens

A very random wave, still not that many must gets for me.

• Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers): Looks really nice but already having both comic and MCU Carols, I don't really see the need for another one
  • Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan): Interesting she's unmasked but the expression looks a bit off
  • Photon: Looks really got, but no effect pieces is a bummer
  • Marvel Boy (Noh-Varr): Don't like the character, so passing
  • Commander Rogers: Don't like the Smelt the Fart face, might see if I have or can find a MCU Nick Fury head and make Nick Jr instead.
  • Iron Man: The Renaissance Armour was one of main Armours I read about, so this is a must get
  • Karnak: Wish he came with more hands, still nice to have
  • TAH: A bit dated but having a CHo figure is still good

On 6/6/2023 at 5:58 PM, GarimusPrime said:

Yeah, I know. That was just a typo on my part.

I initially got them confused to. When I started reading I thought they were doing the Reborn thing so I thought we were getting a redo of that figure who's funky design I actually really liked. Minus those weird exhaust ports. The story was terrible though. This one is cool too. I'm one of those who can never have too many Iron Man. As long as they aren't doing the same exact one over and over. I would say the same about his enemies. Do several versions of Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man. I will buy them all.

On 6/6/2023 at 10:09 PM, Inspection12e said:

I'm sorry but no that Ms Marvel is a travesty and the worst figure of 23.

Almost have all the Champions now. Hopefully Viv Vision is coming soon. 

Yes the facial expression on Kamala is pretty awful, but if you look past the stupid smirk, it's actually a well done face likeness and sculpt looks like Iman Vellani, it's a well done figure, just the expression is horrific, but well executed for what it is.

Sigh, pre-ordered Noh-Varr and Karnak, that's going to be it for me with this wave, but I really do want that Cho BAF, but just don't want any of the other figures, Hope there is a Deluxe someday, or if anyone doesn't want him could hook me up with the Parts.

On 6/6/2023 at 10:37 AM, Reno said:

I would have actually rather had a figure of her in the jeans and t-shirt that she's shown in during some of the previews. I think Brie looks amazing in that scene, such a beautiful woman. 

LOL. I just read this and it's like you read my mind. Yes you can tell with that scene that she's really put the work in for this part. No doubt that is part of the reason they put that specific part in the trailer. It's almost a part of her personal brand. That solemn deadpan face she makes but when they catch her doing a natural smile like somewhere on the red carpet or where she doesn't realize she's being watched it really is a stunning smile. Not that forced one from the Kong movie. That was a tad bit creepy.

So they really had to wedge a Cap and an Iron Man in there? I could list alternatives all day...Viv Vision to finish the Champions with Cho perhaps. Carol or Kamala coulda been the double pack not IM. I want Photon alot. Karnak, Steve and Marvel Boy too. Probably will get the others to build Cho, but I'm gonna wait for sales on most of these. Currently waiting for sales on the Ch'od wave and Ant Man wave. Most of them do look nice, just not very excited for anyone but Monica.

On 6/6/2023 at 8:36 PM, ADour said:

The difference is that the Sentient Armor gave itself eerie white pupils:

sentient.png

And thinking about it, if you paint the eyes of this figure orange you can get yourself a Dimitrios from Avengers A.I., he was an evil A.I. who housed itself in the corpse of the Sentient Armor, and he was the main villain of the book:

dimitrios.png

That being said, I think a Dimitrios custom would go over most people's heads since glowing eyes for Iron Man are common, whereas the eerie white pupils are a much more clear visual cue that this Iron Man isn't your regular Iron Man.

I wouldn't be surprised if some time down the line, Hasbro does a repaint of this as the Sentient Armor, maybe with an alternate Ultron head. 

1283917-3.jpg

On 6/7/2023 at 2:19 PM, AndyL said:

LOL. I just read this and it's like you read my mind. Yes you can tell with that scene that she's really put the work in for this part. No doubt that is part of the reason they put that specific part in the trailer. It's almost a part of her personal brand. That solemn deadpan face she makes but when they catch her doing a natural smile like somewhere on the red carpet or where she doesn't realize she's being watched it really is a stunning smile. Not that forced one from the Kong movie. That was a tad bit creepy.

The woman is a national treasure. I'm always amazed at how much hates she gets. I'm sure that's why she thinks she has to try to come off as so hard so much off of the time. It's like she's almost always "on guard." I've seen videos of her singing and giggling and interacting with fans and she's an absolute delight. That's my best PG / family friendly way to describe my appreciation for her. I'm looking forward to seeing her in the new Fast and Furious movie also, but only once it gets to streaming as the MCU films are the only things I ever pay to see in a theater.

Her figure is still my least favorite of this wave, though - just too plain. The face sculpt is improved over prior attempts, but that's it. In fairness the Kamala figure is probably actually worse, but at least I want that Flerken that comes with her. I pre-ordered the whole wave for the BAF parts, but will be selling off the 3 movie figures (minus the Flerken). I'm not crazy about the Cap figure either, but it will come in useful for a custom -- and it's certainly an upgrade over the original from the early Hasbro days.

On 6/7/2023 at 4:04 PM, Reno said:

The woman is a national treasure. I'm always amazed at how much hates she gets. I'm sure that's why she thinks she has to try to come off as so hard so much off of the time. It's like she's almost always "on guard." I've seen videos of her singing and giggling and interacting with fans and she's an absolute delight.

😆

On 6/6/2023 at 1:56 PM, Hogun said:

I only want Karnak. I hate the re-use of the Pizza Spider-Man mold though.

It is a pity, because they do have better molds. Also, I would've gone for the same gleaming green paint they used on Psycho-Man, for Karnak's wrist bands and cestus.  Lack of boot/calf swivel is also an issue, since he is so agile. I do hope however, with his appearance this means the remaining Inhumans will show before the end of the year, and on better molds. A box set with Triton, Gorgon, updated/improved Medusa, and Lockjaw wouldn't be a bad idea...