Jump to content

The Heart Of The Marvel Universe Will Be Reborn In 'Ms. Marvel: The New Mutant'


JayC

Recommended Posts

Ever since Kamala Khan took up her mantle as Jersey City’s greatest hero, fans have come to know her as an Inhuman. A Champion. An Avenger. And now, for the first time ever, fans will know her as…an X-MAN! This August, Ms. Marvel will return for her most pivotal and defining chapter yet, and it all kicks off with an all-new comic book series: MS. MARVEL: THE NEW MUTANT!

Announced exclusively by Entertainment Weekly, MS. MARVEL: THE NEW MUTANT will be a four-issue limited series co-written by Iman Vellani (Kamala Khan in Marvel Studios’ Ms. Marvel) and Sabir Pirzada (Dark Web: Ms. Marvel, Marvel Studios’ Ms. Marvel) and drawn by artists Carlos Gomez (Rogue & Gambit) and Adam Gorham (Star Wars: Darth Vader). Covers will be drawn by Marvel legend Sara Pichelli, known for her stunning and acclaimed work on titles such as Ultimate Spider-Man.

"This was way scarier than joining the MCU for me," Vellani told EW. "Those projects feel like they live in their own dimension, so I guess I can separate myself easier. But you can hold a comic book! I've never written anything before in my entire life, but I have read many comics, so I just wrote what I would want to read. I was given a very professional tool to write what is essentially my own fan fiction."

"It was actually a very humbling experience to work with Iman, because she knows her comics even better than I do, and that is saying something," Pirzada added. "She was throwing out references to specific comics that came out before either of us were born. She has a very great eye for what makes for a good sequence on the page as drawn by an artist. It was very impressive to me to see her throw out all these references to different artists that she's been following through the years."

After Kamala’s heroic sacrifice that saved the world in Amazing Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel’s tragic death sent heroes across the Marvel Universe in mourning. The Avengers, Spider-Man, Champions, and beyond came together to remember Kamala and Ms. Marvel’s life and legacy. But not all was as it seemed. Fans will finally start to learn the truth about Kamala’s mutant and Inhuman identity in the upcoming X-MEN: HELLFIRE GALA #1 one-shot later this month!

"I want to make it very, very clear that we are not reconning her Inhuman origin. That's a part of Kamala's identity that Marvel editorial and myself would very much like to keep and protect," Vellani shared. "Our book will absolutely reflect all those core themes of identity that the Ms. Marvel comics have consistently explored — only now there's a whole new label that Kamala has to learn to accept. It's going to be pretty crazy."

After being brought back via Krakoan Resurrection Technology, Kamala is shocked to learn she is mutant. But before she has a chance to come to terms with this revelation, the catastrophic FALL OF X will throw her world into chaos…and a secret mission on behalf of the X-Men.

MS. MARVEL: THE NEW MUTANT also marks the debut of Ms. Marvel’s new X-Men costume design, created by superstar artist Jamie McKelvie, who designed Carol Danvers’ iconic Captain Marvel suit and Kamala’s original Ms. Marvel look in the comics. Fans can get their first look at McKelvie’s new Ms. Marvel design, along with a stunning variant cover by artist Stanley “Artgerm” Lau depicting the same, on Marvel.com. Stay tuned for more showstopping cover reveals in the coming days!

Kamala Khan’s journey as Ms. Marvel began in her first headline series in 2014. Quickly becoming one of Marvel’s brightest stars and beloved characters among fans, Ms. Marvel grew to be a key pillar of the Marvel Universe. Over the years, her impact has only embiggened with hit solo comic runs, notable stints with the Avengers and Champions, pivotal roles in crossover events, and memorable team-ups with her favorite heroes. This summer, her next lifechanging story begins.

Don’t miss the beginning of Ms. Marvel’s mutant adventures this August in HELLFIRE GALA #1 and be there to witness the start of a new era in MS. MARVEL: NEW MUTANT #1!

Welcome to the X-Men, Ms. Marvel—hope you survive the experience!

MS. MARVEL: THE NEW MUTANT #1 (OF 4) – 75960620701500111
Written by IMAN VELLANI & SABIR PIRZADA
Art by CARLOS GÓMEZ & ADAM GORHAM
Cover art by SARA PICHELLI
Variant cover art by STANLEY “ARTGERM” LAU
On Sale 8/30

Ms-Marvel-New-Mutant-Design-Sheet.jpg

MSMARVELNEWMUTANT2023001_Artgerm_variant.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This comes as no surprise but I don't think this is going to make Kamala any more popular in the comics world and I really don't think this will bring any casual fans to the table. The first issue will move the needle a little like all first issues. This is why I'm a fan of having separate Main and MCU universes in the comics. This is just a small case but it won't be long before they're changing the entire Marvel Universe match the Cinematic one which in itself is starting to sour. In my mind they've completely ruined Moon Knight and Daredevil among others. The MCU is pretty much based on the Ultimate Universe where all powers pretty much come from some form of the Super Soldier Serum so why not just reboot the Ultimate U to match the MCU?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Screw it, make her Asgardian too.  No, you know what?  They shouldn't rest until she's a Mutant Asgardian Olympian Atlantean Eternal X-ternal Inhuman Skrull from the Savage Land bitten by a gamma-bomb irradiated spider which was bathed in cosmic rays, who was splashed as a toddler by the same canister that blinded DD before being injected with Super Soldier (Symbiote!) serum by a resurrected Dr. Erskine and adopted by Doctor Doom who trains her to be the next Sorcerer Supreme after being possessed by Zarathos and sworn into the Nova Corps, struggling to divide her time between schoolwork and her part-time job being a herald of Galactus.  And maybe give her some Adamantium Iron-Man armor powered by a Moon God or something.  Did I miss anything major?  Should I work Goblin Gas into this? 

I don't actually care what changes they make to the character.  I have nothing against her beyond the notion that she came along at a time when my interest in most comics had been in decline, so I don't have much attachment to the character.  I just think attaching additional identities to a character tying them to larger franchises in a naked effort to boost their popularity comes off as a bit hollow.  But that's just my opinion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2023 at 8:53 AM, Faust said:

A shock to literally no-one. 

But....but....this is impossible! They just recently announced she was dead. How can they bring her back to life?? She was dead, we all know thats IT when youre gone youre gone! Holy cow, this will set the comic world on its ear, nothing will ever be the same again!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2023 at 8:25 PM, Atlantis said:

But....but....this is impossible! They just recently announced she was dead. How can they bring her back to life?? She was dead, we all know thats IT when youre gone youre gone! Holy cow, this will set the comic world on its ear, nothing will ever be the same again!!

I will never be the same after this...considering the option of not reading any more comic books...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gee, what an amazing, astonishing revelation that literally nobody saw coming. 🙂 I hate it when they really try to push characters like this. Having the writers running around screaming "she's popular! she's popular!" doesn't actually make her popular. The way they handle Kamala is the same way they tried to handle The Inhumans a few years ago. How well did that work out for The Inhumans? Oh, right. It didn't. People went from merely being indifferent towards The Inhumans to actively hating them so much to the point that Marvel literally had to drop them off the face of the Earth. I really wish Kamala existed as a separate character, instead of a Carol Danvers fangirl. Carol never should've given up the Ms. Marvel costume. And because of MCU synergy, she'll probably never be allowed to wear it again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2023 at 1:53 PM, GarimusPrime said:

Gee, what an amazing, astonishing revelation that literally nobody saw coming. 🙂 I hate it when they really try to push characters like this. Having the writers running around screaming "she's popular! she's popular!" doesn't actually make her popular. The way they handle Kamala is the same way they tried to handle The Inhumans a few years ago. How well did that work out for The Inhumans? Oh, right. It didn't. People went from merely being indifferent towards The Inhumans to actively hating them so much to the point that Marvel literally had to drop them off the face of the Earth. I really wish Kamala existed as a separate character, instead of a Carol Danvers fangirl. Carol never should've given up the Ms. Marvel costume. And because of MCU synergy, she'll probably never be allowed to wear it again.

With comic sales still in the gutter, the popularity of any character is greatly reduced by sheer numbers, or lack of, following them. 

Unfortunately this is why there is so much synergy with the MCU, characters being forced down fans throats, event stories etc... anything to try to boost sales.

In truth, it's probably a handful of writers and editors who like Kamala and push her to the moon. Since they like her, they feel we should all like her. 

 Her "starring" role in the Avengers video game was my biggest exposure to her but all credit goes to her voice actor for that. Didn't watch her D+ show, though that young actress certainly looked right for the part, and never read her solo series.

This next attempt at refreshing her will go unnoticed as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2023 at 12:23 PM, RobertD said:

Screw it, make her Asgardian too.  No, you know what?  They shouldn't rest until she's a Mutant Asgardian Olympian Atlantean Eternal X-ternal Inhuman Skrull from the Savage Land bitten by a gamma-bomb irradiated spider which was bathed in cosmic rays, who was splashed as a toddler by the same canister that blinded DD before being injected with Super Soldier (Symbiote!) serum by a resurrected Dr. Erskine and adopted by Doctor Doom who trains her to be the next Sorcerer Supreme after being possessed by Zarathos and sworn into the Nova Corps, struggling to divide her time between schoolwork and her part-time job being a herald of Galactus.  And maybe give her some Adamantium Iron-Man armor powered by a Moon God or something.  Did I miss anything major?  Should I work Goblin Gas into this? 

I don't actually care what changes they make to the character.  I have nothing against her beyond the notion that she came along at a time when my interest in most comics had been in decline, so I don't have much attachment to the character.  I just think attaching additional identities to a character tying them to larger franchises in a naked effort to boost their popularity comes off as a bit hollow.  But that's just my opinion. 

 

LOL. Wow I thought I was being harsh. I actually toned down my statement for fear of being take to the woodshed. But I must say you speak to truth. The only part I think you might have forgot that she's probably a clone of the actual Kamala from an alternate universe that has all 6 infinity stones bonded to the polish on her toe nails and used them to place a variant of herself in every conceivable alternate universe and alternate time line to make her a nexus point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2023 at 9:53 AM, GarimusPrime said:

"Gee, what an amazing, astonishing revelation that literally nobody saw coming. 🙂 I hate it when they really try to push characters like this. Having the writers running around screaming "she's popular! she's popular!" doesn't actually make her popular. The way they handle Kamala is the same way they tried to handle The Inhumans a few years ago. How well did that work out for The Inhumans? Oh, right. It didn't...."

Well put. And it underscores the failure of the current "creatives" at Marvel.  Just saying something doesnt make it so. Like the old saying goes, show, don't tell. Actual writers get this, and wanna be's dont.

For example, Frank Miller revamped Daredevil, linking him to assassins, re-defining his radar skills, showing his considerable strengths, and weaknesses, and how he could come back from devastating losses (yeah, there's a reason the identity needs to be SECRET  lol). Marv Wolfman & George Perez took the Teen Titans from being silly sidekick jokes, to heights of popularity that matched the hottest selling book in the world, the X-Men.

Take a look at what Byrne did to Wolverine. Way back in the 70s, Marvel was gonna kill Wolverine off. He didn't add anything to the team, he wasn't unique, etc. But John Byrne thought there was something there and asked to work him before the axe. Bit by bit, readers got new flashes of this guy. Emphasized that he's Canadian. Mysterious background. Speaks fluent Japanese. Combat, martial arts skills right up there with Captain America, Shang-Chi, Iron Fist. Oh and guess what, those claws are grafted onto his SKELETON?! Before long this guy became one of the most popular X-Men and an international household name.

All these have this in common: they SHOWED the story, they took TIME. They didn't get to the top spots by someone just declaring they're popular. Calling this character the "heart of the Marvel Universe" is pretty much ridiculous, and frankly, an un-earned title. It looks to me like this is just setting them up for failure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2023 at 3:11 PM, AndyL said:

LOL. Wow I thought I was being harsh. I actually toned down my statement for fear of being take to the woodshed. But I must say you speak to truth. The only part I think you might have forgot that she's probably a clone of the actual Kamala from an alternate universe that has all 6 infinity stones bonded to the polish on her toe nails and used them to place a variant of herself in every conceivable alternate universe and alternate time line to make her a nexus point.

I actually considered the clone and infinity stuff, but I didn't want to be seen as going overboard, LOL.

I do like the Nexus element, though.  No, like I said, I don't actually care what they do with the character, I was never the audience for her and I'm completely cool with that.  I mostly just wanted to make a fantastically dumb joke. Still don't love it when writers feel the need to interconnect everything and latch characters on to bigger franchises, but hell, maybe it'll work in this case.  Who knows?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2023 at 9:11 PM, AndyL said:

LOL. Wow I thought I was being harsh. I actually toned down my statement for fear of being take to the woodshed. But I must say you speak to truth. The only part I think you might have forgot that she's probably a clone of the actual Kamala from an alternate universe that has all 6 infinity stones bonded to the polish on her toe nails and used them to place a variant of herself in every conceivable alternate universe and alternate time line to make her a nexus point.

Isn't anyone brough back using the resurrection protocols technically a clone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2023 at 2:09 AM, leokearon said:

Isn't anyone brough back using the resurrection protocols technically a clone?

I think your right on a technicality my friend. I think technically the body is a clone but the consciousness or soul is the same. But where's the fun in that? The best part about clones is you can have several of them running around and they can pop out suddenly as villains or heros or doppelgangers and they can make you question your existence and possibly even replace you. Decades and decades of stories and SAGA's right at your fingertips every time the well runs dry. That's where it's at.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2023 at 12:27 PM, AndyL said:

I think your right on a technicality my friend. I think technically the body is a clone but the consciousness or soul is the same. But where's the fun in that? The best part about clones is you can have several of them running around and they can pop out suddenly as villains or heros or doppelgangers and they can make you question your existence and possibly even replace you. Decades and decades of stories and SAGA's right at your fingertips every time the well runs dry. That's where it's at.

Yeah, but the resurrection protocols (as far as I know) don't replace the original body, so even though Kamala is back, her original body would still be buried.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, wow, people seriously talking about comic sales? That hasn't been a thing Marvel's cared about in a while. When Disney bought the company, they did so for the IP, not floppy sales. The comics are, at best, a loss leader that serves to be R&D for the stuff the Mouse actually cares about like adaptations and merchandise, which is where the actual money is. I'm not even debating about the character, it's just a kind of irrelevant barometer. The Abnett and Lanning Guardians of the Galaxy limped to 25 issues and the third movie inspired by that run just did close to $850 million at the box office.

These days the characters of Marvel are bigger than just the comics, and that hasn't been the way the majority of the audience experienced the characters in decades. Hell, I'd argue that was the case even back in the 90s when the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons were airing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE