San Diego Comic Con 2023

toynewman

That Bishop is really well done, finally a new body and actually sculpted detail but without mullet head it's not an instant buy for me, so now I have to get Sauron wave one just for the head or Hasbro might give us that down the line in 2-3 years... Overall, that line is great idea, Magneto, Rogue and Wolverine will be must have for people who missed or don't want to pay prices above retail. Updated Mystique, Jean, Cyclops and Nightcrawler would be great picks for wave 2. 

Alright so there we have the X-Men 97 Wave, as much as it looks good, it looks like an instant skip for me, I have all of these characters and I don't think I need to re-buy them for some minor improvements, they do look pretty nice from what I can see though, good for I guess anybody who doesn't have any of these characters, I only really want a new Professor X, I hope that's in the cards as a deluxe.

Now that Select Dynamo that's another story, that looks pretty awesome and likely something I'm going to get

That Dynamo while initially catching my eye looks very Marvel Select-y. Meaning strange proportions and weird articulation. And to top it all off it's probably in some weird scale between 7 inches and 1989. Again MS beats ML to the punch. And that happens sometimes but I'm confident we'll get an ML version that will fit in with the current Iron Man lineup. For better or worse. Maybe. Probably. Most likely. Eventually. Not going to waste a dime on this thing only to have to buy one that better suits my collection later. Nice paint though.

On second glance I think I'll have to leave myself open to that new Bishop figure. It does look a lot better than that first one. And it's on a much better body mold. Colors are a little bright but at least it isn't whatever passes as cell shaded. Hopefully Hasbro has given up on that little foray.

On 7/21/2023 at 1:06 AM, enzosaurusrex said:

Catching up on some SDCC news and don't want to get in trouble with the mods (so please let me know if this isn't allowed) but is there supposed to be a video of that X-Men '97 reveal with Jesse Falcon? These pics look like they're screenshots from a video (?)

As far as that goes I think @tarot said you can mention other info and any sites that may have other info but cannot post links to the sites or videos.

Nice to see these seem pretty pinless, and they look nice, but clearly these faces are based off the cartoon, they def have more of a toon vibe, I see no need in picking any of these up since I have em, in the case of both Bishop and Rogue they look to be based off non comic depictions seeing as how rogue has a greenish jacket, and not familair with this look for bishop, the Sauron wave Bishop is clearly still better IMO, also did help me here but did Storm ever rock a mohawk in this specific costume? I didn't think she did, The only figure who may be a real improvement and warrant a buy is Magneto, he's looking really nice, but can't tell if it's actually worth replacing the 3 pack version for this yet. totally cool with passing on these to save some money. But as I said a zillion times please give us a new Xavier!

That Bishop looks better and better and yeah his portrait is clearly cartoon but still not bad. And can we get a bald head sculpt already? Surely it wouldn't have been that hard to remove the hair on one of the sculpts from one of the two Bishop figures. I guess we're going to have to buy a third version.

Yeah officially a nope for me on these, these new pics really show a better look of their faces, these are What If/Spider-Verse catagory, they are toon figures, not particularity passable as comic versions, I'll stick with these guys I got already.

the weird eye thing with Storm seems to be she's got her lids really low, looks like shes kinda sleepy or squinting, nada bro...and not sure that face for Rogue even looks like her at all.

spacer.png

Next!

On 7/21/2023 at 2:30 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yeah officially a nope for me on these, these new pics really show a better look of their faces, these are What If/Spider-Verse catagory, they are toon figures, not particularity passable as comic versions, I'll stick with these guys I got already.

the weird eye thing with Storm seems to be she's got her lids really low, looks like shes kinda sleepy or squinting, nada bro...and not sure that face for Rogue even looks like her at all.

spacer.png

Next!

Funny that's exactly why I'm getting at the least Gambit and Magneto becasue to me they look 100 times better then the ones I have on my shelf. 

Still torn on these. In general, I don't like animated figures and these are of course going to be based purely off their looks in the upcoming animated X-Men 97 sequel series from Marvel Studios on Disney+. The Gambit and Rogue definitely don't do anything for me but I find the Bishop, Magneto, Storm and Wolverine all tempting to various degrees.

I'll continue to watch reviews and comparison videos of these figures, skip pre-orders and possibly just consider them when they're finally in stores possibly at a reduced price, which would be a major change for me because I usually pre-order anything I want and only buy clearance stuff from physical stores. Either way I certainly won't be heartbroken if I miss any of these. None are must haves.

On 7/21/2023 at 2:37 PM, toynewman said:

Funny that's exactly why I'm getting at the least Gambit and Magneto becasue to me they look 100 times better then the ones I have on my shelf. 

Fair Enough, to each their own, and it's all about personal preference, I personally don't like the childish almost nickoldeon look to gambit's face it's too soft and almost woody from toy story-ish, Magneto is certainly the most comic passable figure out of this lot, and then Wolvie, and it is a nice Magneto, and good for anyone who didn't buy that 3 pack, I'm always happy when I know there are people who want these things, not everything can be for everyone, but I hate the whole "who asked for this" or "why did they do this" because that's just ridiculous, not everybody eats pancakes but that doesn't mean they should stop being made. 

all this I have said I'd still not even second guess buying a Xavier figure if they did one.

MAFEX DD looks a bit plain. It appears to lack muscle tone and while Select and now MAFEX went the monotone, uniformed red, I appreciate Hasbros effort all the more. With the way they offset the colors a bit.. 

XMen 97 I am missing the appeal. Granted I wasn't a viewer of the cartoon they are reviving here but the reveal isn't doing much to pull in new fans..as with all animated figures, these are to much of a specific vibe to have any crossover appeal. THANFULLY, no cell shading.. I guess there's that