San Diego Comic Con 2023

toynewman

Female Shield and Hydra agents is great news that they are continuing army building. I had skipped getting 6  Maria Hill/ Quakes when they were easily available as I figured (hoped) Hasbro would do them as army builders BUT with holsters.. ah well... 

So normally I'm a 6 of each for army building but I did manage to get 2 extra Hills / Quakes and popped some Power Rangers heads on them just like I did for male agents ( wasn't a fan of the riot helmets so the best option for unrecognizable (to me) unmasked males was Lightning Collection). Plus this gave me variety in my agents. So if Hasbro again does 3 unmasked heads along with riot helmets I'll only need 3 to reach my limit.

I did eventually use those riot helmets however. Vulcan was generic enough that I popped them on 6 of those guys. The  red and gold visors matched his suit enough that it looked pretty  good as random villains for hire

What I'd love to see though is some female Skrulls. 

On 7/24/2023 at 6:04 AM, RoMe00150 said:

Let's hope they can keep them in stock for once. I've missed out on every army builder and I'll have to pay outrageous prices 

They should really re-release the army builders especially with all the EU now having Pulse and missed out on them all.

I know there was an entire X-Men wave, and I'm not sure if more was expected, but this seemed underwhelming to me. 

There were some nice things about that wave, though. Wolverine's claws look cool. That Bishop is a nice design. I don't hate the Storm, but they really missed a chance to make an actual silver costume.

I did think it was cool that they used Magneto's purple New Mutants costume in the presentation. That's a look that interests me. Hopefully it will be in wave 2.

Someone mentioned Deathbird earlier. If they really are releasing someone else from that image of Uncanny 275, I hope it's her or Professor X. Those are pretty cool designs. Lilandra and Zaladane are kind of boring in my opinion.

Overall they had some interesting stuff, but thankfully not too many that really screamed "gotta have it".  Blade and Clea were obvious pre-orders.  MCU Fisk, Vision, and Justice are about the only other ones that I'd say I'm in for, maybe Detroit Steel depending on when it drops and the price.  Would love to get a couple Mindless Ones, but that wave just doesn't justify even one of them, let alone a double dip.  Crystar was a really interesting reveal, but I want to see that one up close first, I have zero connection and that was even my first time hearing about him, but a really cool looking figure for sure.  

On 7/24/2023 at 6:38 AM, greenlucario said:

Overall they had some interesting stuff, but thankfully not too many that really screamed "gotta have it".  

Same here. I'm sure a lot of these collectors liked this but for me, it wasn't christmas in July. Power Man and Power Princess and that's about it. Maybe that Iron Man.  I love me some translucent figures, but it seems like Crystar should have a more "segmented" sculpt; the pic is unclear as to the detail.  If it is like that however, they now have a perfect base for Martinex of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

I agree, it feels like Hasbro held back. Especially woth Pulse Con looming I get the impression the reveals with more wow factor are pushed back for their own con.

For every reveal I liked there was an equal one I was meh on. Certainly not like the "old days" when SDCC was like mentioned above Xmas in July. 

I do love that Legends is obviously still going strong, and making nice steps to continue to improve. 

I don't think they held back that much. they did reveal 3 waves of figures (yes I'm counting the Disney + figures), Detroit Steel, the Spidey 2-pack, The 3 infinity Saga, The hydra/shield set and the four "unknown where they are going" figure (not to mention the obvious NWH tease). If you take away the one officially revealed previous (Nick, Talos and Luke) that's a total of 31 figures revealed.

On 7/25/2023 at 12:02 AM, tarot said:

I don't think they held back that much. they did reveal 3 waves of figures (yes I'm counting the Disney + figures), Detroit Steel, the Spidey 2-pack, The 3 infinity Saga, The hydra/shield set and the four "unknown where they are going" figure (not to mention the obvious NWH tease). If you take away the one officially revealed previous (Nick, Talos and Luke) that's a total of 31 figures revealed.

Totally agree, they didn't hold back. Marvel legends had the strongest showing of all of Hasbro's brands, it was clear the other lines were holding back stuff.

On 7/24/2023 at 5:47 PM, Atlantis said:

Same here. I'm sure a lot of these collectors liked this but for me, it wasn't christmas in July. Power Man and Power Princess and that's about it. Maybe that Iron Man.  I love me some translucent figures, but it seems like Crystar should have a more "segmented" sculpt; the pic is unclear as to the detail.  If it is like that however, they now have a perfect base for Martinex of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

That's a good point for Cyrstar leading to Martinex.  I'm definitely interested in seeing Crystar up close, I could probably be tempted to pick him up.  

I think some people are confusing holding back with showing stuff that didn't appeal to them personally. By all measures they showed a lot of product, including some figures a lot of fans had been asking for like Kingpin and Agatha Harkness (even if they had leaked out well in advance). Expecting there'll be much more or something way bigger (pun not intended) other than maybe the Haslab at upcoming cons may be setting yourself up for disappointment. 

On 7/25/2023 at 10:55 AM, watanabefan said:

I think some people are confusing holding back with showing stuff that didn't appeal to them personally. By all measures they showed a lot of product, including some figures a lot of fans had been asking for like Kingpin and Agatha Harkness (even if they had leaked out well in advance). Expecting there'll be much more or something way bigger (pun not intended) other than maybe the Haslab at upcoming cons may be setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Sure. You're probably right as far as my comment. It really was a lot. I think the Marvel Knights wave looks really cool for a bunch of figures with whom I'm not familiar. I was interested in the X-Men and they were pretty much all repaints, right?

I'm so excited for female SHIELD and Hydra Agents! And though I'm jsut happy to finally have them I think Hasbro missed out on a golden opportunity here. In this one convention they were able to show 4 army builders. The female Hydra Agent, the female SHIELD Agent, the Fist and the Mindless Ones. If they could have just come up with a few more army builders they coiuld have actually made an entire a wave and instead of most likely just selling many collectors one set with the Mindless One as the BAF they could have sold most collectors multiple sets of the Mindless One as the BAF. Think about all the other Army Builders people have been asking for for years. And they could have done the old favorite half MCU half Comic thing Hasbro loves to do. Doombots, Chitauri, Outriders, Hammer Drones. Add those to the other three and they could have been an entire wave. I would have bought at least 6 sets. Without exaggeration. How much would it really take? The Doombots would only take a small tweak on the Doom body mold. Of course the Chitauri and Outriders would need new sculpts but what MCU figure doesn't? I can't believe someone at Hasbro has not explored this possibility yet. To me this is a no brainer but to be in my brain would drive most people insane. But is there anyone else here that thinks this is a good idea?

On 7/25/2023 at 7:23 AM, AndyL said:

I'm so excited for female SHIELD and Hydra Agents! And though I'm jsut happy to finally have them I think Hasbro missed out on a golden opportunity here. In this one convention they were able to show 4 army builders. The female Hydra Agent, the female SHIELD Agent, the Fist and the Mindless Ones. If they could have just come up with a few more army builders they coiuld have actually made an entire a wave and instead of most likely just selling many collectors one set with the Mindless One as the BAF they could have sold most collectors multiple sets of the Mindless One as the BAF. Think about all the other Army Builders people have been asking for for years. And they could have done the old favorite half MCU half Comic thing Hasbro loves to do. Doombots, Chitauri, Outriders, Hammer Drones. Add those to the other three and they could have been an entire wave. 

An option of either single or 3-packs would be great for the army builders out there. Even for larger figures like the Mindless Ones, or the Brood, this would be a great opportunity for collectors. 

On 7/25/2023 at 4:23 PM, AndyL said:

I'm so excited for female SHIELD and Hydra Agents! And though I'm jsut happy to finally have them I think Hasbro missed out on a golden opportunity here. In this one convention they were able to show 4 army builders. The female Hydra Agent, the female SHIELD Agent, the Fist and the Mindless Ones. If they could have just come up with a few more army builders they coiuld have actually made an entire a wave and instead of most likely just selling many collectors one set with the Mindless One as the BAF they could have sold most collectors multiple sets of the Mindless One as the BAF. Think about all the other Army Builders people have been asking for for years. And they could have done the old favorite half MCU half Comic thing Hasbro loves to do. Doombots, Chitauri, Outriders, Hammer Drones. Add those to the other three and they could have been an entire wave. I would have bought at least 6 sets. Without exaggeration. How much would it really take? The Doombots would only take a small tweak on the Doom body mold. Of course the Chitauri and Outriders would need new sculpts but what MCU figure doesn't? I can't believe someone at Hasbro has not explored this possibility yet. To me this is a no brainer but to be in my brain would drive most people insane. But is there anyone else here that thinks this is a good idea?

A whole wave of Army builders would be a great idea

On 7/25/2023 at 11:37 AM, watanabefan said:

Mostly repaints with new heads and pinless limbs on some, I think. 

Does anyone know if Magneto is on a new body in addition to the new limbs? 

DzjTAqKUYAA5JSo?format=jpg&name=900x900

F1q2zFTX0AIiRNL?format=jpg&name=medium

Yes, the chest is a new sculpt to “key in” the cape so it’s not just a plug-in to the back but rather glued to cut grooves in the torso. The pelvis and lower hips are also new with folds that previous figures don’t have. The cape is new. I didn’t look too closely at the helmet. That may be the only re-used piece. Even the hands aren’t the same grasping hands from earlier releases.  They’re smoother. Like animated versions. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2023 at 2:56 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Fair Enough, to each their own, and it's all about personal preference, I personally don't like the childish almost nickoldeon look to gambit's face it's too soft and almost woody from toy story-ish, Magneto is certainly the most comic passable figure out of this lot, and then Wolvie, and it is a nice Magneto, and good for anyone who didn't buy that 3 pack, I'm always happy when I know there are people who want these things, not everything can be for everyone, but I hate the whole "who asked for this" or "why did they do this" because that's just ridiculous, not everybody eats pancakes but that doesn't mean they should stop being made. 

all this I have said I'd still not even second guess buying a Xavier figure if they did one.

I'm the same way.  I'm glad when people get things that they want and love.  I'd buy an Xavier also BUT he'd have to better then the one I have.  I also picked up Bishop to hopefully do a head swap with my Legends one I have.  I always hated the body he was on.  I'd also like a non cell shaded Cyclops and Jean. 

On 8/8/2023 at 2:43 PM, toynewman said:

I'm the same way.  I'm glad when people get things that they want and love.  I'd buy an Xavier also BUT he'd have to better then the one I have.  I also picked up Bishop to hopefully do a head swap with my Legends one I have.  I always hated the body he was on.  I'd also like a non cell shaded Cyclops and Jean. 

Yeah it would be pretty hard to top the Xavier we got some years ago, I missed out on that one, and my lust for a Xavier in my display is strong, but not strong enough to buy a movie figure or a walking cyclops in a black catsuit, I'd have gone for a cellshaded if they did that, I just hope they give us an Xavier here because it seems like it might be the only opporunity to see them re-do a classic version, I can't seem them doing one otherwise, I do as well hope they put out a Jean and Cyclops mainly for other collectors, those 2 are super important to an X-Men display, and the Jim Lee looks are the most desired I'd imagine, we've had a truck load of Cyclops over the years but none as good as that VHS one, but alas it's cell shaded, and Poor ol Jean was part of a 3 pack, I'd imagine a ton very got for many reasons, I'm happy with that Jean myself, but I'd probably boot out the jacketed Cyclops if they gave us a non shaded VHS one.