Hasbro Celebrates Avengers 60th Anniversary! Part 1 of 7

toynewman

Hasbro's Dwight Stall has posted a video how the face swapping works on the Marvel Legends Haslab Giant Man figure. Giant-Man’s head is created out of 6 parts total. 2 antenna, 1 mask, 1 one skull, 1 face plate, and 1 set of eyes. The eyes can be onset on the back of the face plate. The faceplate gets plugged into the skull. And the skull gets slid up into the mask.

Giant-Man-Head-01.jpg

Giant-Man-Head-02.jpg

Giant-Man-Head-03.jpg

On 10/15/2023 at 6:19 PM, tarot said:

I notice the backing seems to be moving slightly faster since the start of the NYCC. Not saying it will be enough to back, which I'm even having doubts about now. Just making a observation.

Between Thurs morning when NYCC began and tonight which is Sunday the campaign has gained 287 new backers. So its avg roughly 75 new backers a day give or take over the last 4 days. So with only 8 days left at the current pace there is no way it would reach 10k.

Right now with 8 days to go it still needs 4029 backers to reach the minimum goal. IMO the only chance this has of reaching the 10k is if Hasbro is sitting on a sizable number of overseas backers they have not yet added to the counter. While we might see a bump at the end of people who waited until the last day, I dont believe there are 3-4k people out there just waiting until the last day to back this thing. This weekend was the last time it's gonna get any significant publicity and with no kind of exciting stretch goals to maybe encourage those who might have been on the fence I am just not seeing how this gets to 10k unless again Hasbro is holding back overseas backers to the count.

It's sad how these constant updates on the Giant Man Haslab are being put out in the midst of the fear that yet another Marvel Haslab fails.  I love the great job they did and would've normally gone for it, BUT for display purposes HIS SIZE IS MY PROBLEM.  This is what has held me back.  At 24 inches he is simply too big in comparison to Galactus (which is the same reason that I didn't get the Haslab Sentinel and settled for the MU Sentinels instead.) I believe that most collectors who display their figures, Galactus needs to be the largest by far in comparison to all others.  This is why I find that the old Toy Biz Giant Man to be sufficiently tall, still shows larger and displays more easily with the 6 inch Marvel Legends.  At 24 inches, this Haslab has him reaching Galactus' chest, which in comics he never did or possibly could.  Had they simply made him closer to 12 inch scale (like the recent Super Adaptoid) in a set with variants of the different versions of Goliath, I would've jumped on it.  Still, I hope it gets funded for those who want it and to keep future Marvel Haslabs coming.  Otherwise, 2 failures in a row may mean the end of this program. 

On 10/16/2023 at 3:08 PM, Ron said:

2 failures in a row may mean the end of this program. 

I seriously doubt it. We've seen multiple failures on the Star Wars front and yet Haslabs continue and in fact Star Wars had a successful Haslab this year. Also in fact Hasbro has had 3 successful Haslabs this year alone. I would imagine it would take consistent failed Haslabs across the board for them to stop. Now if Hasbro were smart they would stop trying to do one for every brand every year and split them up some alternating between brands each year, but even that doesnt seem likely at this point.

I do wish they would do one haslab a year and cycle through the brands. Marvel one year, then Tranformers, then Joe and so forth. I personally only collect ML. But those that collect more can't be expected to get a 500 dollar space ship a huge Transformer, and a helicopter in the same year. It has to be making some hold back on this.

On 10/16/2023 at 8:57 PM, JayC said:

I seriously doubt it. We've seen multiple failures on the Star Wars front and yet Haslabs continue and in fact Star Wars had a successful Haslab this year. Also in fact Hasbro has had 3 successful Haslabs this year alone. I would imagine it would take consistent failed Haslabs across the board for them to stop. Now if Hasbro were smart they would stop trying to do one for every brand every year and split them up some alternating between brands each year, but even that doesnt seem likely at this point.

I agree like I'm sure the successes outweigh the failures when it comes to Haslabs. Still it would be a good idea to stagger the releases, like have two a year.

On 10/13/2023 at 5:14 PM, RobertD said:

I wouldn't sell the Skrull potential short just yet.  It's a super-easy way to double-dip on already-made sculpts. They'd be crazy not to do more when so much of the work is already done before they even head out of the gate. 

Yes that's precisely what I was getting at. With all these new and much improved sculpted body models like the Vulcan and Shreik and all the pinless joints they've developed I'm literally getting in line to purchase each and any figure they've done on the previous body molds. And I know Hasbro's penchant for preferring not to do straight redos but all they have to do include a Skrull head and call it Secret Invasion (Insert-Name-Here) and we would eat it all up. Better yet make some 2 packs. It really doesn't matter but I think they're really missing their window here. In a few months or a year the entire thing will have blown over and we're all on to the next thing.

On 10/15/2023 at 8:12 AM, JayC said:

Lets leave Tamashii Nations out of it for a moment since they are an overseas company which is a totally different beast. I understand what your saying but my point is your making (as I see many collectors do) huge assumptions about Mezco and a lot of these small toy companies. Mezco is a small private company and since they aren't required to show their financial records we really have no idea how profitable they are or aren't or how much business they do. It's probably a safe assumption they manage to make enough money to stay in business, meaning they aren't operating at a loss, but beyond that its hard to say. In fact some business run off of investment money not actual profits, and do actually run at loses in hopes that one day they will start becoming profitable. Mezco has been around long enough I don't think that is the case with them, but they also have not shown much in the way of significant growth over the years IMO either.

I didn't intend to imply you were trying to shill for Hasbro and really took what you said to try and address a misconception I see from many collectors in the fandom when they say things like Hasbro could easily have sold this at retail and such. This hobby just isn't as big as some think it is. Whether Giant Man funds or not, we can definitely see it's struggling to sell what in the overall scheme of things is a very small production run of 10k units. I think if this campaign does fail to get backed there will be a number of factors at play as to why, such as Giant Man as a character just isn't as appealing to as many people which I think was the main deathblow for last years campaign as well. On top of that, we collectors are constantly being bombarded with these huge crowdsourcing campaigns now from all these companies which strains the wallets and the space we have to display these large items. So what was already a small consumer base now is getting more and more selective in what they choose to spend their money on making it harder and harder for these things to be successful.

Had Giant Man been released 3-4 years ago I think it would have had a much better chance of getting funded, but now its getting released in a sea of other huge crowdsourcing campaigns.

I guess all of this is to say if you start looking at these things from the business side of things and not just as a fan wanting a figure they like, it really isn't to surprising if this were to fail to get funded.

@JayC Yeah, you're right. I guess as collectors we all see these things through colored lenses. My disdain for companies like SHF and the like only grows and I really can't understand why people continue to support these overpriced figures that almost seem made to break. No shade to their fans but they just aren't made for my kind of play I guess. I've bought product from many of them and the disappointment comes from a place where I really wanted them to be as good as their reputations. But it never is or was.

Then I see something like this where Hasbro clearly reacted to what went wrong last time and it still puzzles me why it's still getting so much push back. You're completely right about had this been realeased 3 years ago it probably would have blasted through the funding phase. It almost seems like Hasbro shot themselves in the foot with the first two campaigns that were totally cool and they had some cool unlockables that we really wanted but they didn't try to hold it ransom with them and it kind of set the bar a little high. I wasn't surprised when the Sentinel funded so quickly because it was an army builder and I knew many people who were buying multiples. Personally I bought one and just used it as the Master Mold as I had a few of the Toybiz BAFs and bought a few of those KO's when they were selling on Ebay but I know several people who bought at least two. Galactus surprised me a bit because all we really needed was one of him. Those head sculpts didn't really convince anyone to buy multiples for display but a lot of people wanted it so it did and we did. With that EoV thing I really think they were getting cocky and they took the fans for granted and really blew the cap when they tried to force our hand by showing us all these cool figures that they knew we've been pandering for for like 10 years and and then feeding us the whole "If You Don't Get These Now We'll Never Do Them Ever Again" garbage. I mean Mephisto is a major baddie and one we all wanted and they forever locked him behind this really expensive piece of plastic with a character that is really not all that popular to begin with. I did support it and planned to leave it in till the end until they started to strong arm us and then I pulled out because I was honestly disgusted. I really think that's when it hit the fan. Clearly Hasbro adjusted their strategy with this one but I think maybe they drew it back a little too much this time and went the total opposite direction by not including characters as tiers. I love the price and I think it's reasonable in this economy but I think if they'd have included a 6" version of Giant Man as part of the deal from the top and then included at least two figure tiers such as FA Wasp and maybe an updated Yellowjacket this thing would have funded by now. It's okay to put figures as incentives but what is not cool is to use it as leverage by saying we'd never get them otherwise. I honestly don't think those alternate heads and the whole eyeball bit is doing too much to sway the base. Sure the 6" Giant Man would have been just a little bit more of a financial burden than they would have liked but it would have gone a really long way to get the fan's trust back.

Anyway I've watch this campaign more than any other one before mostly because I'm so fascinated by peoples reactions. But it seems to be making steady gains if not big gains on a daily basis. It's almost like all the children are done playing around and trying to sabotage the project and now the adults are home from work and are back in charge. I feel it will fund and I think a lot of people are waiting to see if Hasbro shoots themselves in the foot again. I guarantee if they come out and say "Surprise if this thing funds we all get an 6" Giant Man" it will fund quicker. But for the love of all you hold dear never, ever, ever say again that this figure will never be available ever, ever again if this project fails. That is poison and the clear path to certain failure. As fans we don't like being treated like children who will not get desert unless we finish our brussels sprouts. Especially when we're the ones paying your bills.

On 10/17/2023 at 2:34 PM, AndyL said:

Yes that's precisely what I was getting at. With all these new and much improved sculpted body models like the Vulcan and Shreik and all the pinless joints they've developed I'm literally getting in line to purchase each and any figure they've done on the previous body molds. And I know Hasbro's penchant for preferring not to do straight redos but all they have to do include a Skrull head and call it Secret Invasion (Insert-Name-Here) and we would eat it all up. Better yet make some 2 packs. It really doesn't matter but I think they're really missing their window here. In a few months or a year the entire thing will have blown over and we're all on to the next thing.

That's what I was even saying. Hasbro should have announced some skrull classic characters and Zombie characters while the HasLab was going to make the head variants more appealing.

On 10/17/2023 at 10:58 AM, leokearon said:

That's what I was even saying. Hasbro should have announced some skrull classic characters and Zombie characters while the HasLab was going to make the head variants more appealing.

Yes you have my friend. And you're 100 percent correct. Had they leaned into both the Skrull and Zombie thing a lot sooner and with a lot more substance these additional head sculpts would have been a whole lot more appealing. We would have had more than a few random outliers to pose them with.

On 10/17/2023 at 12:32 PM, Inspection12e said:

It's gaining over a 100 a day now.  I think it's going to get to 250 a day soon then 500. 

Not sure what counter your watching but over the 4 days of NYCC it was avg about 75 backers a day. Yesterday there seemed to be a little bit of an uptick in the 90s but today its back in that 70 range. I haven't seen a 24hr period anytime recently where it gained 100 or more. I wasn't watching it that closely before NYCC so I don't what the daily avg was before that. At this point I would say the only hope this thing has if there is just some massive dump of backers in the last days, and when I say massive Im talking numbers in the 1ks.

On 10/17/2023 at 9:30 PM, JayC said:

Not sure what counter your watching but over the 4 days of NYCC it was avg about 75 backers a day. Yesterday there seemed to be a little bit of an uptick in the 90s but today its back in that 70 range. I haven't seen a 24hr period anytime recently where it gained 100 or more. I wasn't watching it that closely before NYCC so I don't what the daily avg was before that. At this point I would say the only hope this thing has if there is just some massive dump of backers in the last days, and when I say massive Im talking numbers in the 1ks.

It gained 36 more since last post. So it's at about 100 a day . 6174

At 10pm ET yesterday the counter was at 6,090 backers, tonite at 10pm ET its 6,177. So that is 87 new backers in the last 24 hrs, but even if it was 100 a day that still wouldn't come close to 10k backers in 6 days. Like I say its gonna take some kind of massive jump to get there.

On 10/17/2023 at 10:05 PM, JayC said:

At 10pm ET yesterday the counter was at 6,090 backers, tonite at 10pm ET its 6,177. So that is 87 new backers in the last 24 hrs, but even if it was 100 a day that still wouldn't come close to 10k backers in 6 days. Like I say its gonna take some kind of massive jump to get there.

6197 now and it's been 2 hours.  Gaining 100 a day plus over the last 2 days, 

On 10/17/2023 at 10:33 PM, AndyL said:

Yes you have my friend. And you're 100 percent correct. Had they leaned into both the Skrull and Zombie thing a lot sooner and with a lot more substance these additional head sculpts would have been a whole lot more appealing. We would have had more than a few random outliers to pose them with.

Exactly, and that is one of the problems with a lot of the failed Haslabs, the marketing. Jumping the gun on some (Reva's Lightsaber), making them anniversary pieces when they won't be (HellCharger and Giant-Man) and poor choices of additional tiers (again Hellcharger and this). 

On 10/18/2023 at 2:08 AM, Thwippersnapper said:

That one tracker I shared some time ago is projecting this thing will hit 10,766 based on the average of Galactus and the Sentinel’s final days.

Yeah those trackers look at nothing but numbers and no other factors that can and likely will effect these things more and more, like the mood of the fandom, that collectors are constantly hammered with these huge crowdsourcing campaigns on a regular basis now, that collectors wallets are stretched more and more thin as well as the space they have to display these things. Doesn't even take into account the difference between the campaigns like the differences between this and Galactus that have previously been documented like the fact Galactus was a more popular character and had more enticing stretch goals.

Also it doesn't even really just look at the numbers because based on the current numbers there is no way it would fund. Its making an assumption their is gonna be this huge dump of backers at the end because of how past campaigns have gone, but again there are other big differences between past campaigns and this one that they don't consider.

Again at this point the only thing people who want to keep thinking this will fund have to hold on to is their hope there will be some huge dump of backers in the final days which again if Hasbro is holding back adding their overseas backers I think could certainly happen. That's why at this point all we can really do is just wait and see what happens but their is no way to actually predict whats going to happen based on numbers or anything else.