Jump to content

Hasbro Celebrates Avengers 60th Anniversary! Part 1 of 7


toynewman

Recommended Posts

On 10/23/2023 at 11:36 PM, JayC said:

And for the record I think with this coming in only 111 backers shy of 14k, Hasbro should go on and just throw in the Skrull head anyway.

 

111 shy. How crazy is that? Maybe some of those guys throwing around all that negativity on YouTube can do some good and band together and try to convince Hasbro to throw us a bone this time. I honestly think that might be some amount of backers they helped push away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm someone who went ahead and backed a 2nd one during that final half hour during the "run for 14,000". I'm hoping that they'll come through and provide the Skrull head also. Although the payment already went through, they sent an email saying that we have until 11/22 to cancel and I just might cancel the 2nd one if they fail to announce the inclusion of the Skrull head. Now for the record, I'm not expecting that they will do that - but I'm hoping so. I'll give them until at least through the 10/27 event to announce something. I'll definitely be keeping the first one that I ordered no matter what, but I really only want a 2nd if it comes with that skrull head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2023 at 12:36 AM, JayC said:

And for the record I think with this coming in only 111 backers shy of 14k, Hasbro should go on and just throw in the Skrull head anyway.

 

While that would be cool, I doubt they will.  That would be breaking the rules, and maybe stop future HasLabs from reaching higher tiers.  Why back it if they'll just throw in the extras anyway?  The only way they could do it is if they flub the numbers.  Like if they "forgot" to add numbers from one day or something, and the total was "actually" 14,327.

 

The only time there have been bonuses was when the number of backers was so mich higher than the highest tier.  Though this is the closest to a tier without meeting it a HasLab has been...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope the legends team realize one thing from this campaign, WE DO WANT FIGURES AS TIERS! That is what were here for more figures. At the least it should of come with a 6in version of giant man and had wasp and yellow jacket as tiers. We like getting those rarer figures that come with a haslab, when they did Morg they acted like they could't of released him at retail and i thought those were gonna be the types of figures we would be getting going ahead hence mephisto, goblin queen, heck everyone wanted the figures more than the damn vehicle so why would you not keep going that route. I understand the whole pay wall thing, but most people that collect this line GET THE HASLAB FOR FIGURES. Mainly cause nowadays this is an adult heavy line, but we should get unique sculpted figures in a haslab for that reason alone. Do any of the galactus figures go for hundreds of dollars? This should be what their doing for tiers, deluxe baf quality figures we would #$## are pants over (porcupine,grizzly easy reuse ursa major,serpent society members) and so on. I'm so glad giant man funded, but who is gonna buy a 6in version of a haslab they don't have? Him yellow jacket and that wasp will probably be a pulse exclusive pack of some kind watch and see. Im thinking next year will be fing fang foom...and hasbro please put figures as tiers for cryin' out loud!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2023 at 1:11 PM, GnarlyCharlie85 said:

I hope the legends team realize one thing from this campaign, WE DO WANT FIGURES AS TIERS! That is what were here for more figures. At the least it should of come with a 6in version of giant man and had wasp and yellow jacket as tiers. We like getting those rarer figures that come with a haslab, when they did Morg they acted like they could't of released him at retail and i thought those were gonna be the types of figures we would be getting going ahead hence mephisto, goblin queen, heck everyone wanted the figures more than the damn vehicle so why would you not keep going that route. I understand the whole pay wall thing, but most people that collect this line GET THE HASLAB FOR FIGURES. Mainly cause nowadays this is an adult heavy line, but we should get unique sculpted figures in a haslab for that reason alone. Do any of the galactus figures go for hundreds of dollars? This should be what their doing for tiers, deluxe baf quality figures we would #$## are pants over (porcupine,grizzly easy reuse ursa major,serpent society members) and so on. I'm so glad giant man funded, but who is gonna buy a 6in version of a haslab they don't have? Him yellow jacket and that wasp will probably be a pulse exclusive pack of some kind watch and see. Im thinking next year will be fing fang foom...and hasbro please put figures as tiers for cryin' out loud!

they didn't put figure as tier precisely because we kept complaining that those figure were hid behind tiers. They gave us exactly what we wanted. Anyone who says otherwise are honestly hypocrites. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2023 at 8:21 AM, tarot said:

they didn't put figure as tier precisely because we kept complaining that those figure were hid behind tiers. They gave us exactly what we wanted. Anyone who says otherwise are honestly hypocrites. 

Mmm, I don't know.  I complained that Mady was part of the EoV because I'm an X-Man fan, and wanted to get her, but not a Ghost Rider vehicle.

If the figures chosen are appropriate, not main characters, and a little unique, I think the work as tiers.  There are lots of costume variants for Wasp and Hank that the HasLab could have had them, and the character could still be released at regular retail as well.

I like the idea of a big complete box set...Fin Fang Foom with Mandarin, Iron Man, and War Machine tiers to make a Dragon Seed box set?  That would be great!  Fin Fang Foom with a multi-part Makuta Spaceship build a bridge as tiers?  Not so much...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2023 at 7:10 AM, bashpics99 said:

feels like it wasn't too long ago Jay predicted this would fail.  oh well, too bad for all the nattering nabobs of negativity

I actually never once said it would fail. I said based on the numbers we were all seeing it wasnt looking good and that the only way it would succeed is if there was some major boost of backers at the end which is exactly what happened. Up. until 1pm ET yesterday this campaign was not getting anywhere near enough backers to reach 10k and then steadily from 1pm to midnight the backer numbers exponentially went up without falter hour by hour

I also said if there was some major boost of backers at the end that IMO it wasnt going to be from last minute people but Hasbro adding in their international backers from the vendors they work with where Pulse isnt available which is exactly what I think happened. There was no hail marry here and in fact Hasbro probably had a pretty good idea this would fund for sometime. I see much of this as marketing to keep people constantly talking about this thing and work people into a tizzy to scare them into backing more than once.

As I've said, I am very happy for the people who really wanted this figure and that they will be able to add it to their collection, but I also come away feeling like their was a lot of manipulation going on here with the numbers which honestly doesn't leave a very good taste in my mouth when it comes to Hasbro, and I also think these campaigns do far more harm than good because each time we have one the more and more divisive the fandom gets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2023 at 7:41 AM, MeGrimlock78 said:

Mmm, I don't know.  I complained that Mady was part of the EoV because I'm an X-Man fan, and wanted to get her, but not a Ghost Rider vehicle.

If the figures chosen are appropriate, not main characters, and a little unique, I think the work as tiers.  There are lots of costume variants for Wasp and Hank that the HasLab could have had them, and the character could still be released at regular retail as well.

I don't even know know if i buy into the whole locked figures thing either. Some would say the Galactus Haslab had similar tiers as the EoV. While the Surfer was not so convincing Nova and Morg gave me the extra push I needed. I think as @JayCreminded me yesterday that the Early Bird thing set the entire thing off on a bad foot from the start. I'm sure the Wait-N-See crowd who showed out big yesterday were not very happy with that. Mephisto and Maddy actually got me excited and as I said I really remember it getting a slight bump for just a second. But then they kind of gave us a hardline by saying without actually saying that these figures would never be done unless we backed this overpriced project. That kind of did it for me. I never really backed out of the funding but I'd already made my choice that I would be by the end. And like I said the ML team was getting frustrated trying to defend the price. People were trashing it online. And of course YouTube was up to their usual antics. I just think it was a culmination. To tell you the truth even though I backed it it never felt right from the start. And if I'm being honest I go all the way back to first instinct it was the price. And then I spent most of the time after trying to convince myself if no one else that it wasn't to steep. I didn't and it was. This one though I had a different feeling. I did have my doubts how the fans would show up but they did at the end. I'm happy and I'm proud of the fans.

Also I hope FFF is in future plans as well. He would have to be at least as big as Galactus though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2023 at 9:08 AM, AndyL said:

I don't even know know if i buy into the whole locked figures thing either...but then they kind of gave us a hardline by saying without actually saying that these figures would never be done unless we backed this overpriced project.

I would believe that a character won't be released in the same costume as a HasLab, but not that the character itself will never be released.  It gives you a reason to back the HasLab if you're a completist, and it makes you feel special, but it also doesn't anger those that can't afford a HasLab, or don't find it worthwhile.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was the one who was torn about backing the Giant Man Haslab because at 24 inches I felt that he is too tall for display with Galactus and my MU Sentinels.  So I was going to settle with my Toy Biz Giant Man and hold off.  However, I felt that the figure was designed with such great quality and would likely be the best Giant Man figure to ever be done that even if I didn't order it, it still deserved to be made.  Then, when I saw the upcoming Wasp figure and the numbers were still dragging and because it was affordable, I finally decided to order one even if I might sell him later on.  What would get me to keep him is if Hasbro later offers the other different Goliaths in the same size (particularly Pym's Blue/Yellow version and Clint Barton/Hawkeye's version).  As for the Skrull head, perhaps Hasbro can later offer to sell it separately. Nevertheless, congratulations to all who wanted Giant Man!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2023 at 8:22 AM, MeGrimlock78 said:

I would believe that a character won't be released in the same costume as a HasLab, but not that the character itself will never be released.  It gives you a reason to back the HasLab if you're a completist, and it makes you feel special, but it also doesn't anger those that can't afford a HasLab, or don't find it worthwhile.

Exactly, they should have said it that way instead. I think it would have gone over way better with the fans. But they were trying to boost up the desire for the project so they did it the wrong way. I'm not a completist anymore but I would have backed it for those figures to get them sooner. Even if I knew they'd get around to doing it in another color or deco. But they did it the way they did it and it was bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you except the fact that stretch goal figures aren't actually free I think the route Hasbro choose to go here by selling the stretch goal figures separately is 100% the right choice. The base item needs to be compelling enough at a price that makes it worth it to you to buy which last years wasnt and why it failed. As long as Hasbro does that there is no reason to really add extra figures that would only raise the price more. By selling them separately the consumer is in complete control on whether they just want to pay for the main item, just pay for the stretch goal figures or pay for both. Its a win win. To me the only people who get mad about stretch goals are the ones who still think these stretch goal figures are actually free figures. Any time someone says something like if they just added 2-3 additional figures this thing would have easily been backed I kinda cringe. Its like saying if Hasbro only sold Giant Man for $50 it would easily back. Sure it would but its not practical from any kind of business perspective. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2023 at 10:14 AM, JayC said:

Any time someone says something like if they just added 2-3 additional figures this thing would have easily been backed I kinda cringe. Its like saying if Hasbro only sold Giant Man for $50 it would easily back. Sure it would but its not practical from any kind of business perspective. 

'Natch.  To be clear, I expect figures instead of faceplate would raise the retail, but I think it would've been a more compellimg and attractive package, that maybe wouldn't have been so touch and go until the final hours.

Also...figures are something easier to sell off after purchase, if you want to reduce your personal cost.  I bet there are those that just wanted Giant Man and didn't back this because there was nothing to dump onto eBay later.  Only people who bought Giant Man will want a Zombie face, and they're already getting it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I myself wouldn't of minded if it was $250 or more if it would of come with figures. I just feel like this campaign suffered from lack of figures period. When people were speculating of what the tiers were gonna be online i didn't hear anything but figures. I feel as hasbro just got the wrong message. Im sure if it came with figures even if it was more expensive more people would of backed just for the figures alone. They just really wanted that $199 price point to show to us and i feel like the direction they had to go to get to there just hurt the campaign.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stretch goals need to be sensible and complimentary to the main item. With the GI Joe Dragonfly, adding Wild Bill makes sense, but Night Force Ripcord does not.
I think you'd want an adjacent, not a tangent item added on.
   This was one of the problems with the Engine of Vengeance project--the vehicle in and of itself didn't present much of a draw, but adding the additional figures, though "related" in theme to a degree, seemed a bit too far afield.  Adding Wasp to Giant-Man, sure makes sense, but Giant-man alone need to be appealing enough to buy ON HIS OWN. Making Wasp her own offering is a better way to approach this because though being indelibly linked, she's an ancillary character anyway.  Heck, Jan could get her own Haslab---a "Wonderful Wardrobe of the Wasp" set with figures of all her various costumes, LOL--oh yeah.......yeaaaah, you know it would sell. 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2023 at 10:41 AM, GnarlyCharlie85 said:

I myself wouldn't of minded if it was $250 or more if it would of come with figures. I just feel like this campaign suffered from lack of figures period. When people were speculating of what the tiers were gonna be online i didn't hear anything but figures. I feel as hasbro just got the wrong message. Im sure if it came with figures even if it was more expensive more people would of backed just for the figures alone. They just really wanted that $199 price point to show to us and i feel like the direction they had to go to get to there just hurt the campaign.

I think the lack of figures did this campaign more good than harm. The reason why I say that is because if the stretch goals were the deciding factor on whether you backed this or not and you checked on this mid day yesterday, you quite easily could have started feeling nervous that even if it backed it wouldn't include the stretch goals and so the chances of you canceling would have been much higher. Since pretty much everyone was like if I get the faceplates great but I dont need them to want the figure, there was no reason to cancel early even if stretch goals weren't unlocked.  Yes sometimes the stretch goals can entice but as we saw last year they can also cause panic and make people cancel prematurely.  Giant Man struggled. I don't care what the final numbers said. When Hasbro does something people are really excited about these things fund in 1-3 days. Seeing the final numbers now, I dont think this campaign was ever in any real danger of not funding thanks to the late addition of overseas backers, but it still puttered along and took until the final day to get there. That isnt an indication that the base item was super excising to that many folks and if stretch goals was the deciding factor we could have easily seen the counter start to go down and not up which in turn causes more people to cancel until it becomes a snowball type effect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2023 at 9:55 AM, JayC said:

I think the lack of figures did this campaign more good than harm. The reason why I say that is because if the stretch goals were the deciding factor on whether you backed this or not and you checked on this mid day yesterday, you quite easily could have started feeling nervous that even if it backed it wouldn't include the stretch goals and so the chances of you canceling would have been much higher. Since pretty much everyone was like if I get the faceplates great but I dont need them to want the figure, there was no reason to cancel early even if stretch goals weren't unlocked.  Yes sometimes the stretch goals can entice but as we saw last year they can also cause panic and make people cancel prematurely.  Giant Man struggled. I don't care what the final numbers said. When Hasbro does something people are really excited about these things fund in 1-3 days. Seeing the final numbers now, I dont think this campaign was ever in any real danger of not funding thanks to the late addition of overseas backers, but it still puttered along and took until the final day to get there. That isnt an indication that the base item was super excising to that many folks and if stretch goals was the deciding factor we could have easily seen the counter start to go down and not up which in turn causes more people to cancel until it becomes a snowball type effect.

Facts. The tiers moved the needle very little if any at all. Figures and coveted add-ons seem to be more polarizing than anything else. I think Hasbro happened on a better way this time. Keep the Haslab project itself at bare bones and at the lowest cost possible and then show some adjacent product such as the Wasp was done here and bump the interest up. And I hate to keep on bringing up the EoV and people hate to hear it but it is the benchmark of what didn't work but can we wonder if the car with the figure and the cheap LED lights and the stupid extra head sculpt had been $200 and then Mephisto and Maddy and Helstrom had been shown as related product that would be available later that year how many of us would have taken that bite? You can't see it but I'm raising my hand right now. I know somebody will inevitably point out that Maddy probably actually belongs in the X-Men line but you get the general point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While the idea of no figures as tiers does bum me out a bit, but I understand. I agree that it probably did contribute to no one backing out. So if it keeps these viable I guess I'm OK with it. But they should announce a whole set or pack or line of figures and a deluxe or something at the same time as the haslab premier and just say, these are coming out next year to go with this. Of course some would complain, the same ones who said the Wasp reveal was a Scamlab ripoff!! Kinda unrelated, but did anyone see the immediate call out that Hasbro fixed the numbers and rigged the elect..campaign. I don't really look on sites about He Man or Thundercats or whatever else, but do their campaigns get the same hate? Seriously, I feel like there is nothing Hasbro can do that doesn't get scrutinized and turned into a devious plot to rip us off. From the tiers should be free, to paywall, to they are gonna invest the haslab money so....well I don't know but that's bad, to now fixing the numbers. I just don't see this with other stuff, even Hasbros Joe and Transformers lines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Wasp was the right way to go. Don't have figures behind a paywall; instead announce related products to do with the HasLab while the HasLab is happening which will probably be released around the time the HasLan will actually be released. It was one of the reasons in my opinion the tiers didn't work due to the lack of display options available. if they had announced some more classic skrulls or zombies it might have made the tiers more enticing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2023 at 9:01 AM, JayC said:

In an effort to try and entice more folks to back Giant Man, here is a look at the Classic Wasp they will be releasing at a later time that you will have to pay additional money for. THIS IS NOT being included with Giant Man.

Classic-Wasp.jpg

I just noticed something about this render....I don't see a torso or ab articulation line.  Probably nothing to worry about at this point, but I sure hope they don't use that plastic overlay on the figure, the way they did that Luke Cage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2023 at 5:02 PM, Atlantis said:

I just noticed something about this render....I don't see a torso or ab articulation line.  Probably nothing to worry about at this point, but I sure hope they don't use that plastic overlay on the figure, the way they did that Luke Cage.

It looks like she has some waist articulation given the shadows on the sides of the waist above the belt, it could be like Luke Cage with the balljoint waist

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bummed that we came so close to a Skrull head and missed out, I mean 100 orders shy?  The margins are close enough they could throw collectors a bone and add it in.  Goodwill marketing is rarely a bad thing.  I would definitely display mine that way. 

Glad they kept the price low and saved figures for general release instead.  I was never one who was upset about figures as tiers, but in the end it kept things affordable and I think that worked well in their favor. 

What I'm not seeing anybody talk about, in a stream last night Dan teased that a Legendary Rider would be making a return to the line.  To me, that means we'll be seeing a Vengeance figure (hopefully with a bike). 

The original Legendary riders series had Hulkbuster which seems an unlikely candidate (though not impossible, since they've already re-released build a figures as single items, but that is a weird way to tease it if that's the case), Wonder Man, Ultron and Scarlet Witch all of whom we've gotten recently, Wolverine, who we get every other Legends wave, Taskmaster who is a contender, but again, we've seen a couple of them in the last few years, and First Appearance Thing, which... also just feels unlikely?  Vengeance is the only unique one that we really haven't seen in a while, so that's what my money's on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2023 at 12:44 PM, RobertD said:

Bummed that we came so close to a Skrull head and missed out, I mean 100 orders shy?  The margins are close enough they could throw collectors a bone and add it in.  Goodwill marketing is rarely a bad thing.  I would definitely display mine that way. 

Glad they kept the price low and saved figures for general release instead.  I was never one who was upset about figures as tiers, but in the end it kept things affordable and I think that worked well in their favor. 

What I'm not seeing anybody talk about, in a stream last night Dan teased that a Legendary Rider would be making a return to the line.  To me, that means we'll be seeing a Vengeance figure (hopefully with a bike). 

The original Legendary riders series had Hulkbuster which seems an unlikely candidate (though not impossible, since they've already re-released build a figures as single items, but that is a weird way to tease it if that's the case), Wonder Man, Ultron and Scarlet Witch all of whom we've gotten recently, Wolverine, who we get every other Legends wave, Taskmaster who is a contender, but again, we've seen a couple of them in the last few years, and First Appearance Thing, which... also just feels unlikely?  Vengeance is the only unique one that we really haven't seen in a while, so that's what my money's on. 

Ooooh, he'd go great with a Robbie Reyes and Engine of Vengeance set...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE