Hasbro Celebrates Avengers 60th Anniversary! Part 1 of 7

toynewman

Since it is established that the cost of the Giant -Man Haslab already includes the Zombie and Skrull head being only 100ish away is reason enough to throw in the Skrull head. Not like it's going to cost them any more than they already figured in...

Haha I've already stated many times I dont care about the tiers but now that I know I'm not getting the Skrull head I'm arguing for it...f@#&ing collectors am I right? 

Now on to important business: how are you all going to display this beautiful MFer? I love the underneath, about to be stepped on  POV advertised on the Pulse site but my detolfs aren't up high enough to get that dramatic pose. I've got an idea about removing a shelf in my cabinet, an extreme sets ground cover and having him bust up through the floor and smashing some fools. A static pose with Wasp on GMs shoulder might be cool. The new Wasp can almost stand in his hand they way I used to diplaythe Toybiz GM and mini Wasp ( her feet fit nicely between Hanks fingers) 

Just thrilled this is a reality. Woke this morning to a $212 charge on my account and it made me smile. May never write that again haha

On 10/24/2023 at 1:01 PM, MeGrimlock78 said:

Ooooh, he'd go great with a Robbie Reyes and Engine of Vengeance set...

To soon?  

First and foremost, Hank is gonna throw the double bird to all the haters. Then it'll be Wasp on the shoulder with the 2nd team of Avengers giving a hearty "Avengers Assemble!" up on the living room bookcase where I currently have the Jim Lee XMen fighting a slew of villains including the Sentinel. Then we are gonna have to do battle with the Masters of Evil that I can cobble together from the scraps they have given us. It won't be the correct team, but close enough. They've actually given us quite a few MoE, but just not key players like Executioner and Melter for that first team. But one day....

On 10/24/2023 at 3:10 AM, bashpics99 said:

feels like it wasn't too long ago Jay predicted this would fail.  oh well, too bad for all the nattering nabobs of negativity

He didn't say it would fail, and in fact it did look like it would, so it wasn't an unreasonable assumption. Its not about "nattering nabobs"; the fact is it struggled. Not every product is gonna knock it out of the park.  He and others weren't wrong about that.

A number of people felt that Giant-Man was just not that popular or strong enough to carry something like this on his own. I still say it would have had an easier time with his 6" counterpart. That's not "negativity", that's something that absolutely should have gone with this particular offering. 

Unlike what others are saying, EOV didn't fail because figures were locked behind tiers, therefore fans don't want figures. EOV failed because it was the wrong base (Ghost Rider) product and outrageously overpriced. They tried to save it with those coveted figures and that really ticked people off, rightfully so. Giant-Man succeeded and I think knowing Wasp was coming but not tied to him, helped out quite a bit. The take away is that if you wanted Giant-Man, you got him. If you want Wasp, you got her. 

On 10/24/2023 at 4:01 PM, Atlantis said:

He didn't say it would fail, and in fact it did look like it would, so it wasn't an unreasonable assumption. Its not about "nattering nabobs"; the fact is it struggled. Not every product is gonna knock it out of the park.  He and others weren't wrong about that.

A number of people felt that Giant-Man was just not that popular or strong enough to carry something like this on his own. I still say it would have had an easier time with his 6" counterpart. That's not "negativity", that's something that absolutely should have gone with this particular offering. 

Unlike what others are saying, EOV didn't fail because figures were locked behind tiers, therefore fans don't want figures. EOV failed because it was the wrong base (Ghost Rider) product and outrageously overpriced. They tried to save it with those coveted figures and that really ticked people off, rightfully so. Giant-Man succeeded and I think knowing Wasp was coming but not tied to him, helped out quite a bit. The take away is that if you wanted Giant-Man, you got him. If you want Wasp, you got her. 

To pile on about this I really don't remember @JayC saying it would fail so much as he just stated facts that it looked like it would fail. I was confident this thing would fund regardless of what it looked like but there is no denying what it looked like for a while and even my confidence was starting to falter. I knew after that last one this was going to be a whole different animal. A loooooo-oooo-ot of people were and are still pretty steamed about the last one and there was just a different feel from the feedback I was getting from all the ML communities as a whole. I saw a lot more people intent holding out until the deadline got closer this time. IMO I really think more than anything they were just waiting to see if Hasbro shot themselves in the foot again. There was a heck of a lot more of just STFU this time around. Pardon my Swahili. But it worked. Here's what we got. We're not going to talk it up too much. Were not going to say anything we have to defend later. We're just going to continue to show more and more of the product every chance we get and hope the customer likes it. We're just doing our jobs. Now to bring this all around. If you really want to see someone who was clearly rooting for this thing to fail without outright saying they hoped it failed and now want to see them hilariously backtrack with a ridiculously long rant that's even longer than their usual rants I suggest you go to YT and look for a video called "Giant-Man Marvel Legends HasLab Epic Conclusion" and get your cringe reflex ready. Not going to say the name because I don't want to call anyone out but I guarantee most of us already know who this is. And yes I do watch this person's channel and at times I value their reviews but they've found a nitch and when you want that kind of perspective you always know you can find it there. And no the video is not as positive as the title would lead you to believe. Typical.

I believe  JayC made a comment not too long ago about the collector community believing they understand things better than they actually do (apologies if that is not correct JayC, or if I am mischaracterizing exactly what you said).  Hasbro does sometimes do things  that are just head scratchers, but listening to folks speak so definitively about things that require a lot of market research to really understand is just exhausting. We all have opinions about what Hasbro should do at every moment, but those opinions are based on what we like and want, not what we know from proper data, experience in the industry, or research (and reading talk-backs doesn't cut it). Our own collecting experience is a really small sample size, so it is pretty arrogant to presume we know better than Hasbro. They are not perfect, but they know more about what should be done than we do. I bought the Sentinel, Galactus and Giant-Man for the main offering, the tier add-ons were icing on the cake. Some thought Giant-Man would fail because he wasn't popular enough, was priced too high, needed added figures... but he funded. 

On 10/24/2023 at 5:53 PM, AndyL said:

To pile on about this I really don't remember @JayC saying it would fail so much as he just stated facts that it looked like it would fail. I was confident this thing would fund regardless of what it looked like but there is no denying what it looked like for a while and even my confidence was starting to falter. I knew after that last one this was going to be a whole different animal. A loooooo-oooo-ot of people were and are still pretty steamed about the last one and there was just a different feel from the feedback I was getting from all the ML communities as a whole. I saw a lot more people intent holding out until the deadline got closer this time. IMO I really think more than anything they were just waiting to see if Hasbro shot themselves in the foot again. There was a heck of a lot more of just STFU this time around. Pardon my Swahili. But it worked. Here's what we got. We're not going to talk it up too much. Were not going to say anything we have to defend later. We're just going to continue to show more and more of the product every chance we get and hope the customer likes it. We're just doing our jobs. Now to bring this all around. If you really want to see someone who was clearly rooting for this thing to fail without outright saying they hoped it failed and now want to see them hilariously backtrack with a ridiculously long rant that's even longer than their usual rants I suggest you go to YT and look for a video called "Giant-Man Marvel Legends HasLab Epic Conclusion" and get your cringe reflex ready. Not going to say the name because I don't want to call anyone out but I guarantee most of us already know who this is. And yes I do watch this person's channel and at times I value their reviews but they've found a nitch and when you want that kind of perspective you always know you can find it there. And no the video is not as positive as the title would lead you to believe. Typical.

I def pointed out based on the numbers we were seeing it wasnt looking good which was the case until about 1pm ET yesterday, but also clarified anytime I talked about it that I had no idea if it would fail or not. What I specifically said was that IF it funded it would happen with a big bump at the very end which is EXACTLY what happened. I've also stated that in my opinion these huge bumps at the end which have become pretty common with these things isn't just people waiting until the last minute, but its Hasbro adding in all their international orders on the last day.

What this campaign shows us is the numbers we watch throughout these campaigns are basically meaningless because we aren't really being given the whole picture.

On 10/24/2023 at 6:40 PM, Psychosomatic said:

I believe  JayC made a comment not too long ago about the collector community believing they understand things better than they actually do (apologies if that is not correct JayC, or if I am mischaracterizing exactly what you said).  Hasbro does sometimes do things  that are just head scratchers, but listening to folks speak so definitively about things that require a lot of market research to really understand is just exhausting. We all have opinions about what Hasbro should do at every moment, but those opinions are based on what we like and want, not what we know from proper data, experience in the industry, or research (and reading talk-backs doesn't cut it). Our own collecting experience is a really small sample size, so it is pretty arrogant to presume we know better than Hasbro. They are not perfect, but they know more about what should be done than we do. I bought the Sentinel, Galactus and Giant-Man for the main offering, the tier add-ons were icing on the cake. Some thought Giant-Man would fail because he wasn't popular enough, was priced too high, needed added figures... but he funded. 

Honestly what I grow tired with about these things and I'm not necessarily talking about anyone specifically here in this thread, in fact I think the discussions here have been quit civil, but you have people on both sides of these things whether it be on YT or various ML Facebook groups that dig in as "Pro Hasbro" and "Anti Hasbro". It's not even really about the action figures anymore. So for instance the Anti Hasbro people will often say things like how overpriced these things are, or that Hasbro should just release these at retail ect ect without really having any understanding about how retail works or the industry. On the flip side you have the Pro Hasbro people who will start telling people things like not being interested in the character, or not having the space aren't valid reasons for not backing it and they aren't real Marvel Legends fans if they don't back it. Or one of my favorites when they say things like people should run out an commit right away and even get 5 just so it gets backed and they can cancel later on. It just gets ridiculous on both sides and each time Hasbro runs one of these campaigns the fandom seems to become more and more divided.

That is why i think JC has the best toy news channel, he has more insider info and never bias, he just tells us the news thanks for that truly. I get so tired of yt people sometimes and just want to hear figure news i need to know.So it seems hasbro probably knew this had enough backers when they showed us wasp. If that is true they definetly need to be more transparent with us

On 10/24/2023 at 8:27 PM, GnarlyCharlie85 said:

That is why i think JC has the best toy news channel, he has more insider info and never bias, he just tells us the news thanks for that truly. I get so tired of yt people sometimes and just want to hear figure news i need to know.So it seems hasbro probably knew this had enough backers when they showed us wasp. If that is true they definetly need to be more transparent with us

Thats my speculation, based on the fact that it is a more logical explanation of these huge jumps in the final hours campaign after campaign than there being all these people who wait until the last day and then in exponential order hour by hour start backing these things. If you watched the counter from 1pm to midnight yesterday, it consistently went up without waver, with each hour gaining more and more backers. Sure you would see ups from some who wait until the end but you would also see downs if it was natural, again IMO.  Also the fact we can see not all their numbers are entered in real time since they were still adding backers to the count a good 30 mins after the campaign had officially ended. Like I say that is my opinion but no way to know for sure since Hasbro doesnt share that kind of info and likely never will.

At the end of the day though does it really matter? For those that wanted this figure, all that really matters is that it funded. If you didn't want the figure then you didnt need to back it and life goes on. Those who think they are teaching Hasbro a lesson hoping these things fail, well I think those people are severely misguided  and I say let those who wanted the figure enjoy it. Those who didnt want it, go find something else that you will like. Of course I say that knowing full well that come next year when Hasbro announces the next Haslab, people will be right back at it.

Well after backing all Marvel offerings and taking the monetary hit for 3of them, I'd be ok if Hasbro either takes a break from Marvel Haslabs or offers something I can do without. 

But to be honest, I wasn't going to buy the Sentinel until I did. Galactus was never a doubt, GR I really thought was cool but was immediately disheartened when the early bird bombed. Giant-Man was a day one backing.

My wallet needs a break since it's already been confirmed that one way or another the Avengers Anniversary is continuing.. the amount of $$$ spent on the Avengers within a short span was sweet torture but I wouldn't mind saving some next year too...

On 10/25/2023 at 11:07 AM, McHogan said:

Well after backing all Marvel offerings and taking the monetary hit for 3of them, I'd be ok if Hasbro either takes a break from Marvel Haslabs or offers something I can do without. 

But to be honest, I wasn't going to buy the Sentinel until I did. Galactus was never a doubt, GR I really thought was cool but was immediately disheartened when the early bird bombed. Giant-Man was a day one backing.

My wallet needs a break since it's already been confirmed that one way or another the Avengers Anniversary is continuing.. the amount of $$$ spent on the Avengers within a short span was sweet torture but I wouldn't mind saving some next year too...

Damn, I sure hear that! Hasbro has been putting out so many on my must have list - Classic Comic versions of Ronan, Doctor Strange, Red Skull, Dormammu, Yondu, Blob, Powerman, Toad, Lizard, Drax, Ant-Man, Wonderman, The Orb, and now Giant-Man! And Wasp and Dum Dum Dugan next year?! Damn! Now, if  I could get a Classic Adam Warlock, a Classic X-Men set, Marvel Monsters, Iron Fist, a proper Daredevil, Valkyrie, Mole Man, and Mephisto I would have all of my Absolute Must-Haves...anything else would just be icing on the cake.

Earlier this week the Marvel Legends Haslab campaign for Giant Man ended with 13,889 backers which put it just shy of unlocking the second stretch goal for the Skrull faceplate. To be exact it came up 111 backers shy of the 14k needed for that item to be included.

Because it was so close to be unlocked, many have felt that perhaps Hasbro would just go on and include the faceplate as a thank you to those who backed the campaign. Well Tarot informs us that word out of MCM London is that Hasbro will not be including the Skrull faceplate due to cancellations they have gotten since it the campaign ended. No word what the new final count is with the cancellations.

Hasbro did suggest we could see the faceplate released in some kind of future set, but that nothing was yet set in stone.

Skrull-Face.jpg

On 10/27/2023 at 10:31 AM, GnarlyCharlie85 said:

Im guessing it must of been something like 1000+ or ot least hundreds that cancelled their orders. Otherwise they might of gave it to us.

I'll maintain that there was something really fishy about this Haslab. From the crazy stall to the massive gains to the fact that they produced a Prototype even when the numbers didn't look good to now all these shady cancelations. Something seems like the fix was in from day one and this was just a test run of some sort for Hasbro. Not that I'm not stoked. I got my Giant Man. I don't plan on canceling. And I have no regret. I don't claim to know if something went down but it's just really strange.

I ordered a 2nd one during that final half hour when it looked like we would hit 14,000 - but with this news I'm almost certainly going to cancel that 2nd order. I was waiting to see what they'd say about it today. They allow up to Nov 22 to cancel. I'll wait to see if they address publicly during the podcast. I don't doubt Tarot at all, but I want to see if they offer any other details. Quite frankly "maybe" releasing it later wouldn't appeal to me because if I cancel then I won't have a 2nd body to use anyway. Now if they were willing to openly commit to doing so then I would keep that 2nd order - but I'm not going to do so for a "maybe". My plan had been to have regular Giant Man, Skrull Giant-Man and just a severed Zombie Giant Man head in my displays.

• 1 month later...

While Hasbro finalizes this Astonishing Avenger, they wanted to offer YOU, the backers of the Giant-Man HasLab, an exclusive peek behind the Marvel Legends curtain, and a chance to have your voices heard with a FAN VOTE for the packaging illustration.

They're counting on your help to choose between three larger-than-life illustrations for the Giant-Man packaging, all created by Marvel cover artist, John Tyler Christopher!

You'll need to log in using your Hasbro Pulse account to cast your vote. Don't have an account set up? Create one using the email you used to back the project.

One vote per day, per backer. Voting ends Monday, December 18, 2023 at 3:00 PM ET. Only backers who backed the project through Hasbro Pulse are eligible to vote. The winning packaging design will be announced later in December 2023. Cast your vote here.

Giant-Man-Fan-Vote.jpg