Hasbro Celebrates Avengers 60th Anniversary! Part 1 of 7

toynewman

Ok so NOW strike while the iron's hot; companion wave for this project. Retro packaging, no BAF needed:

1. Yellowjacket (preferably goggles vs individual lenses), pinless Vulcan buck
  2. Giant-Man (companion to giant version)
  3. Wasp (original outfit, pointy "cone" headdress, shiny metal headset and reducing gas belt). As a bonus, an Ant-Man head...but with removable helmet
  4. Whirlwind (classic look). Can't reasonably leave this guy out. Chauffer, stalker, mutant, and one of their earliest and deadliest foes.
  5. Equinox, translucent or semi, way past time we got a decent Legends of this guy
  6. Graviton (original outfit), long overdue. Besides its time for some Canadian representation....even if it is from a deranged piece of

Like I said you wouldn't need a BAF for this wave but if you wanted....

BAF- Porcupine

On 9/8/2023 at 8:18 AM, since83 said:

It's gonna be hard to concentrate at work today! Couple more hours till the reveal! I am very hopeful! 

Is it just the reveal, or are we gonna be able to back it today? Probably gonna insta-back this!

On 9/8/2023 at 8:20 AM, tarot said:

same. I'm literally just starting work when the stream starts. I need to hide somewhere for the 20 minutes it's on.

I was going to try and watch it but I have fully booked sessions all day. No matter. We all know where this train was going. All I was really not sure of were the tiers. Just saw this on my lunch break. Kind of surprised a matching 6 inch figure or a Wasp figure was not part of them but I can't argue with the more streamlined approach after that last fiasco. Love the price. Love the size. Love the design. Well done Hasbro. Bought and bought. Is it possible that they do more than one Haslab this year? A Goliath or Yellowjacket would be pretty easy to pull off from here.

Well this will be the first ML Haslab I have no real interest in backing.  Toy Biz is good enough for me, but this is great for folks that don't have an alternative.

Be curious to see how this does in the long run: Not exactly a "fan favorite" character, no real troop builder potential, and at least IMO one of the dorkier classic costumes.  As well as (again, IMO) some underwhelming tier goals.

Initial thoughts:

1) I'm very comfortable with that price. 

2) I'm glad he's not taller than Galactus.

3) That smiling face is hella creepy. 

4) I'm glad they're going with zombie/skrull faces as unlocks.  The zombie would be better if it weren't that skin color (I don't like the What If Zombies because of it, it feels like "safe" zombies- doesn't sit right) so no way I'll display it that way, but if it gets up to the Skrull tier (and I'm betting it does at that price) I'll pick up a 2nd to display that way.  Different color on that zombie skin and I probably would have gone for a 3rd. 

On 9/8/2023 at 1:16 PM, Atlantis said:

Ok so NOW strike while the iron's hot; companion wave for this project. Retro packaging, no BAF needed:

1. Yellowjacket (preferably goggles vs individual lenses), pinless Vulcan buck
  2. Giant-Man (companion to giant version)
  3. Wasp (original outfit, pointy "cone" headdress, shiny metal headset and reducing gas belt)
  4. Whirlwind (classic look). Can't reasonably leave this guy out. Chauffer, stalker, mutant, and one of their earliest and deadliest foes.
  5. Equinox, translucent or semi, way past time we got a decent Legends of this guy
  6. Graviton (original outfit), long overdue. Besides its time for some Canadian representation....even if it is from a deranged piece of

Like I said you wouldn't need a BAF for this wave but if you wanted....

BAF- Porcupine

Dude you should work for Hasbro. Fresh off this Haslab announcement this wave would fly off the shelves. Only thing I could think that would make this just a smidge better would be instead of Porky as the BAF how about a mid-sized Giant Man around 12 to 14 inches. Somewhere around the size of Super Adaptiod or Surtur?

On 9/8/2023 at 1:12 PM, tarot said:

I wouldn't put it past the team to announce fa wasp or yellowjacket at pulse con or nycc 

I'm sure that they're coming, but I'm expecting that timing of release might line up more around the time the HasLab is expected to ship. So if we say they'd likely come out in the fall of 2024 then they probably won't be revealed until spring.... but just guessing, though of course.

Of course you could also be 100% right and they might want them out before the year ends to coincide with the 60th anniversary....but it didn't stop them from releasing another separate Spider-man retro carded wave the year after his anniversary - so really, who knows?!?

I'd actually guess though that they may stay away from announcing any more Pym related characters until after the HasLab funding period ends. There might be some people that would choose not to fund the HasLab or withdraw their order if a cool new different cheaper Pym figure is announced and they decide they don't need multiple Pyms. I know that I'm already feeling "Pym'd out" after buying the classic Ant-Man and WCA versions this year. I know that I tossed both of those figures in a bin (and they're good figures!) because my ToyBiz BAF Giant-Man is the only Pym I have displayed right now. I don't need more than one Hank. I could use the Ant-Man as Scott but that's just not the costume I tend to associate with Scott.

On 9/8/2023 at 1:35 PM, AndyL said:

Only thing I could think that would make this just a smidge better would be instead of Porky as the BAF how about a mid-sized Giant Man around 12 to 14 inches. Somewhere around the size of Super Adaptiod or Surtur?

That might actually cannibalize some of the backing for their HasLab so I can't imagine they would announce anything like that before the HasLab window closes. Plus I have a feeling there are going to be a ton of the 3 different 12" versions that they've released in the past plus the slightly larger Toy Biz BAF hitting the secondary market over the next year. Anyone wanting a smaller Giant-Man can certainly go that route. Of course as of right now none of those are all that much cheaper than just backing the HasLab. LOL!  At last check the Toy Biz BAF was selling for around $175 but that will likely start decreasing immediately.

On 9/8/2023 at 1:44 PM, Reno said:

Yes, really nice detail!!!

Right? And I'm seeing a light five-o-clock shadow on the interchangeable Pym faces. Striking detail on the eye irises too. I respect anyone who doesn't want to shell out for this figure, but I have a feeling after first impressions pass and people have more time to look at it, maybe see it displayed with other figures (images 6 & 7), that more will be inclined to purchase it. 

It was mentioned in the video that the main Pym head will be 3 interchangeable face plates. But after looking at the pics again, there's no way the Zombie and Skrulls are just face plates correct? 

Unless they somehow have a way to plug in the Skrull ears? They said cost is why they use face plates but I'm pretty sure the Tier heads are one piece. 

Has anyone heard or seen differently? 

On 9/8/2023 at 4:22 PM, McHogan said:

It was mentioned in the video that the main Pym head will be 3 interchangeable face plates. But after looking at the pics again, there's no way the Zombie and Skrulls are just face plates correct? 

Unless they somehow have a way to plug in the Skrull ears? They said cost is why they use face plates but I'm pretty sure the Tier heads are one piece. 

Has anyone heard or seen differently? 

I've had a chance to watch the video now, and the team points out that the zombie face is a plate that slides in under the mask just like the different Pym expression faces. But, the skrull is an entirely separate head due to the big green ears. They even took Pym's three white lines off the sides of the skrull head in order to have room for the ears.

On 9/8/2023 at 5:39 PM, Jormungand said:

I've had a chance to watch the video now, and the team points out that the zombie face is a plate that slides in under the mask just like the different Pym expression faces. But, the skrull is an entirely separate head due to the big green ears. They even took Pym's three white lines off the sides of the skrull head in order to have room for the ears.

Ah great info, thanks for taking the time

I finally had a chance to look at the figure.

Is it over price? Not really. This is a once off figure. 

Should it have come with a figure as a base set? Oh absolutely. It's surprising Janet is not with him. if not her then a 6inch version of the build. That being said I can see Janet coming in a wave next years along with Yellowjacket and as for the smaller figures, given the amount of detail on the suit for the big guy, if the 6inch figure didn't have that same detail, it would be extremely cheap looking.

Am I bummed it doesn't have tiers with figure? Nope. it anything this gives me a peace of mind as now I don't have to worry about if we will unlock them. Plus, I don't have to hear hypocrite whiners give out about "Hasbro making figures behind a paywall". (Seriously do they think Hasbro give them figures for free or something?)

Do I think the tiers are stupid? Yep but I enjoy silly things like this. Plus this actually gives us 3 characters in one. 

Do I think the figure is fantastic? absolutely. 

Did I back it? the first time I can back a character on the EU site. You better believe I did. Didn't even think about it.

I will say to everyone in the forum, if you can't or don't want to back it, that's okay. That's your money your choice. If you can and have backed, that okay as well. I and the rest of the MODs don't want to see any back and forth about arguing over this. Respect other people's choices in this. 

While I'm at it, Am I think only one who think this new Haslab system is a good idea?
No more BS. No more electrics that few use. No more Gimmick like the changing the car into a hellcharger. No more hiding figure behind tiers and worrying about whether the numbers will get unlock and hearing people complain that Hasbro is hiding them behind paywall

Just the figure itself with a couple of extra heads and keeping the price cheap. I mean lets look at other possible figures;

FFF - just Foom with tier 1 being flame effects and tier 2 being an animated face

Surtur - just the fire demon with odinsword as tier one and the MCU version as tier 2

Eternity - just Eternity with a Inbetweener face and a Doom face

Devil dino with a Spider-rex head or Venom rex head (they can release Moon girl in a wave)

see? simple easy and just giving the people what they want.

Does anyone else want them to keep it this way and not having to deal with the BS?

Yeah. I rarely turn on my Sentinal or Galactus lights. How often would I have turned on the Hellcharger? Would it have funded at less money without those lights and sounds? (I think it would have)

And just to play the other side for those of us that have them. How often do any of you regret being one of 20000 people worldwide that have Galactus on your shelf? None? My only regret with the Sentinal is not getting three. Idk, I love these. I know not everyone agrees, but I'm pumped right now.

On 9/6/2023 at 6:53 PM, tarot said:

Rumor and I use the word RUMOR extremely heavily here cause you know Hasbro, is that this project will be 199.99$  (also note that Shogun part of the name is the project code name Not about Red Ronin)

https://hasbropulse.com/products/shoguntemp57cfe9a7

I almost posted yesterday that if Giant-man was only going to be $200 then we would probably getting short changed on the extra figure tiers. Looks like I was right. I'm reading this correctly, right? There's only two tiers and they are both alternate faces?

On 9/8/2023 at 5:37 PM, tarot said:

While I'm at it, Am I think only one who think this new Haslab system is a good idea?
No more BS. No more electrics that few use. No more Gimmick like the changing the car into a hellcharger. No more hiding figure behind tiers and worrying about whether the numbers will get unlock and hearing people complain that Hasbro is hiding them behind paywall

Just the figure itself with a couple of extra heads and keeping the price cheap. I mean lets look at other possible figures;

FFF - just Foom with tier 1 being flame effects and tier 2 being an animated face

Surtur - just the fire demon with odinsword as tier one and the MCU version as tier 2

Devil dino with a Spider-rex head or Venom rex head (they can release Moon girl in a wave)

Does anyone else want them to keep it this way and not having to deal with the BS?

This is the way to go. Like I said in an earlier post I wouldn't mind if they did this a few times a year. I saw what they said about thinking hiding those 6" figures behind teir walls was what brought the Hellcharger down but I think that's wrong. I think the figures were awesome and I think most of us wanted them. The problem was the price. No matter how much they refuse to acknowledge it. No amount of cheap led lights that I buy 100 at a time for $8 could rectify the cost. Had that thing been $250 they could have justified it with the intricate design and with all the unlockables. They just found our threshold. That's all. And I'm glad they did something about it. And I don't think that Early Bird thing sat too well with most of us either.

This is streamlined without being too minimalistic. I like it. I don't want to see a bunch of figures that I want but may never get. Don't tease me. Don't dangle a carrot that I might not get. $200 gets you GM and two portraits. If enough people get it we get a few upgrades. But seriously you don't need them. I'm in and I won't pull my support unless it outright fails.

I don’t care for the tiers but am enjoying it overall. So wish they would shadow ML like this regularly because that just looks great.

But yeah, it’s nice that there aren’t any figures locked behind this thing with all the chaos it brought last year. Ryan Ting explained it pretty well why they’re going this route by focusing on GM himself. 👍 Though I still believe a 6” version would’ve been alright to include.

I will be crossing my fingers that Foom is on deck for next year’s!

On 9/8/2023 at 6:37 PM, tarot said:

So I mostly agree. But I would have ONLY displayed the car as the Hell Charger. My biggest problem was the hubris on Hasbro’s part with the Early Bird that they thought, what was it? 12,000 people would pay $350 for a human version of GR in 10 days of the start of the crowd funding. 

I  mean, I funded that Haslab knowing full well the electronics would almost never be used. But I fully admit that's a "me problem". It was obvious that the Haslab was going to fail early on and I was incredibly annoyed that the Robbie figure was lost immediately.  Then watching g as great characters were teased behind stupidly unattainable tiers.

It was a cluster #@$# almost from the beginning. It appears Hasbro has heard us and while their tiers are very "meh" the base product is phenomenal.  

They need to stay bare bones moving forward. The bells and whistles are worthless unless you actively play with them. Imagine the GR lab being $100 cheaper with no electronics but still offering the 6" figures. I imagine that story would have ended very differently 

On 9/8/2023 at 9:41 PM, RobertD said:

Also, I'm going to note; I'm glad they're not doing the silly "hidden tiers, we'll tell you what it is later" nonsense.  I truly hate that.  Let us know what we're striving for at the jump. 

Actually I think they illuded to the fact there might be a few extra tiers if enough people back this thing. But they didn't name it. Smart move. I think that whole thing about if you don't get it here you'll never ever get it fear tactic was a bad strategy.

I think at least one of them will be an actual 6" version. It'll be a great extra for the people who supported it plus if we never find out what it is we never know what we lost. And best of all it could pop up elsewhere in the standard line.