Jump to content

Hasbro Celebrates Avengers 60th Anniversary! Part 1 of 7


toynewman

Recommended Posts

On 10/2/2023 at 8:51 AM, since83 said:

We just lost a bunch of backers this morning. Gettin worried.

 

On 10/2/2023 at 8:55 AM, tarot said:

it lost only five. Calm yourself.

This seems to be from either a person or group I've been watching for a long time. For a while it was almost daily. About 5 people would withdraw all at the same time at almost the same time of day. It seems like someone is using multiple accounts to try to spark that massive retraction of support for the last one. It usually recovers and goes above and beyond by the end of the day's cycle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shown below via stalldwight is a look at the protype for the new Hasbro Marvel Legends 60th Anniversary Giant-Man Haslab which shows the great range of motion for the figures hands. Giant Man boasts a suggested retail price of $199.99. The Giant-Man (24-inches Tall) base offering needs 10,000 backer orders to begin production. Orders beyond that will help unlock tiers that enhance your Giant-Man figure and display. It currently has 5,537 backers as of this posting.

000000.jpg

0000000.jpg

00000000.jpg

000000000.jpg

0000000000.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah have not payed much attention to this campaign, but recently looked at the numbers and I'm shocked this isn't just about funded yet, this is something that people were asking for, and it's done really well, and it's at a really reasonable price, not sure why this isn't working out for Hasbro? people seem so sour on Marvel Haslabs since last years fumble, people just seem to want to make a stand and play the hate card, it's really too bad, because this is a nice offering for those who would be interested, they listened to the people, dialed it back, gave a good figure with a justifiable price tag, and yet tons in the community are going on about how they like the ToyBiz BAF better (oh come on..), it's really sad. I hope this funds in the end for everyone who wants to see this come to fruition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2023 at 5:10 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yeah have not payed much attention to this campaign, but recently looked at the numbers and I'm shocked this isn't just about funded yet, this is something that people were asking for, and it's done really well, and it's at a really reasonable price, not sure why this isn't working out for Hasbro? people seem so sour on Marvel Haslabs since last years fumble, people just seem to want to make a stand and play the hate card, it's really too bad, because this is a nice offering for those who would be interested, they listened to the people, dialed it back, gave a good figure with a justifiable price tag, and yet tons in the community are going on about how they like the ToyBiz BAF better (oh come on..), it's really sad. I hope this funds in the end for everyone who wants to see this come to fruition.

I see the same excuses the whole time. "It too big", "No one asked for Hank", "too much" and "Should have come with such and such". You know hypocritical stuff that you see the whole time on social media. Hasbro could have the president of the company deliver each one to them and they would still whine. Thank god for this forum.

I still think this will fund. I mean look at how late the Galactus funded. They also still have to add the International number like they did with the latest Star Wars set.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2023 at 12:49 PM, tarot said:

I see the same excuses the whole time. "It too big", "No one asked for Hank", "too much" and "Should have come with such and such". You know hypocritical stuff that you see the whole time on social media. Hasbro could have the president of the company deliver each one to them and they would still whine. Thank god for this forum.

I still think this will fund. I mean look at how late the Galactus funded. They also still have to add the International number like they did with the latest Star Wars set.

it's really too bad, the community is full of such negativity, almost for the simple sake of being negative, people get what they ask for but want to continue to be upset, always making it seem like it's never right or never enough, it's a collectible toy, it's supposed to be a fun hobby, I just don't get it sometimes, but ah well, like I said let's just hope in the end this funds, I think it deserves to, it's got what anybody could ask for in a Giant Man figure. I don't personally want it, but it would be really sad if yet again another ML HasLab didn't make the cut.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have to bear in mind that this website seems to skew hard towards both very hardcore comic fans and an older audience.  So for a lot of folks here this figure really hits the sweet spot. 

But as far as a broader audience is concerned Hank is not a character that's ever been super popular.  He's never really carried a solo series, has been through a multitude of identities and has been in and out of the Avengers for decades but outside of the founding he's rarely presented as a "core" member.  He's got some baggage due to the domestic violence and mental illness issues and overall there's a reason they went with Scott Lang instead of Hank Pym for the MCU.   For younger folks he's best known as a crochety old Michael Douglas in the MCU.  Their Giant-Man is Scott Lang.

I think this is an awesome version of the character, but that's not enough if the character itself isn't all that appealing to enough people.   I honestly wonder if an MCU Scott Lang at this size would have sold better.  I'm not saying I would have preferred it and I'm not sure it would fund either, but I'd be curious to see the comparison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2023 at 12:49 PM, tarot said:

I see the same excuses the whole time. "It too big", "No one asked for Hank", "too much" and "Should have come with such and such". You know hypocritical stuff that you see the whole time on social media. Hasbro could have the president of the company deliver each one to them and they would still whine. Thank god for this forum.

I still think this will fund. I mean look at how late the Galactus funded. They also still have to add the International number like they did with the latest Star Wars set.

I don't think it will fund and I dont think someone who says its to big or not interested in Hank is being hypocritical. I think many of you insert yourselves into these echo chambers of like minded people and then expect everyone in the hobby to think like you do. In fact I saw very few people ask for Hank Pym when people would toss around ideas for a new Haslab. Sure when Hasbro started teasing it and saying it was Avengers related Hank Pym was an obvious guess, but that doesnt mean tons and tons of people wanted it. 

I think some of you also way over judge how much influence these guys on Youtube and Social media have whether they are positive or negative. I think most people are smart enough to be able to figure out for themselves what they want to buy and what they dont want to buy. Last years Engine of Vengeance didnt fail because some youtubers started hating on it, it failed because Hasbro choose to do something that didnt have wide enough appeal to get funded. If Giant Man fails it will be the same thing.

I also don't think the cost plays a large part in it. This Haslab is cheaper because your getting less with it, but if it was something many people really wanted I have little doubt there are plenty of people who could and would spend $350 or more for something they really wanted.  The Galactus and Sentinel funded because it was something people wanted, last year not so much the case and again this year I think it may be the same. Unless Hasbro is holding back all its overseas backers to the counter this thing is very likely not going to fund IMO. The numbers just aren't there.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/7/2023 at 3:50 PM, JayC said:

I don't think it will fund and I dont think someone who says its to big or not interested in Hank is being hypocritical. I think many of you insert yourselves into these echo chambers of like minded people and then expect everyone in the hobby to think like you do. In fact I saw very few people ask for Hank Pym when people would toss around ideas for a new Haslab. Sure when Hasbro started teasing it and saying it was Avengers related Hank Pym was an obvious guess, but that doesnt mean tons and tons of people wanted it. 

I think some of you also way over judge how much influence these guys on Youtube and Social media have whether they are positive or negative. I think most people are smart enough to be able to figure out for themselves what they want to buy and what they dont want to buy. Last years Engine of Vengeance didnt fail because some youtubers started hating on it, it failed because Hasbro choose to do something that didnt have wide enough appeal to get funded. If Giant Man fails it will be the same thing.

I also don't think the cost plays a large part in it. This Haslab is cheaper because your getting less with it, but if it was something many people really wanted I have little doubt there are plenty of people who could and would spend $350 or more for something they really wanted.  The Galactus and Sentinel funded because it was something people wanted, last year not so much the case and again this year I think it may be the same. Unless Hasbro is holding back all its overseas backers to the counter this thing is very likely not going to fund IMO. The numbers just aren't there.

 

Exactly, for me personally, there is nothing about this Haslab that interests me. I don't need (nor have the space) for a 2 foot tall Giant Man and the tiers don't interest me either. The price is quite good and I have spend the same amount of money on Victory Saber and Deathsaurus Haslabs. To be fair, I am struggling to even think what Marvel legends HasLab would interest me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fandom really does have a gross distortion about what is popular and what is pragmatic, and it's all filtered by their own wants and consumption.  Fans frequently  assume that the toy line they are interested in is the most popular, the biggest seller, the key line in the manufacturers various brands.  It's almost always over-stated and under-realized.

I thought from the outset that Giant-Man was going to be a dud----for all the reasons stated above.  Sure, it's a nice enough figure as it is, but there's not enough bang-for-the-buck to pique my own interest.
I think the appeal to the character is mediocre, and if they wanted to plus this project they needed to offer more characters. Classic Wasp, original Ultron, maybe a diorama of Hank's lab--stuff that surrounds the character.  There's no nudge in this project, and it comes across as very luke-warm.  Other's mileage may differ, but that is where I sit.

 

On 10/7/2023 at 12:27 PM, leokearon said:

To be fair, I am struggling to even think what Marvel legends HasLab would interest me.

I'd steer into places that Haslab has not yet gone:  Dioramas.
An X-men Danger Room
Fantastic Four Baxter Building Lab
Avenger's Meeting room, with Jarvis
Avenger's Quinjet
Bruce Banner Gamma Lab
I mean, they would all be something to do something with stuff most of us already have--they plus a collection.   Giant Man already has a good rendition (the Walmart excl BAF) that doesn't seem too out of date.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/7/2023 at 12:29 PM, TheArrow said:

Fandom really does have a gross distortion about what is popular and what is pragmatic, and it's all filtered by their own wants and consumption.  Fans frequently  assume that the toy line they are interested in is the most popular, the biggest seller, the key line in the manufacturers various brands.  It's almost always over-stated and under-realized.

I thought from the outset that Giant-Man was going to be a dud----for all the reasons stated above.  Sure, it's a nice enough figure as it is, but there's not enough bang-for-the-buck to pique my own interest.
I think the appeal to the character is mediocre, and if they wanted to plus this project they needed to offer more characters. Classic Wasp, original Ultron, maybe a diorama of Hank's lab--stuff that surrounds the character.  There's no nudge in this project, and it comes across as very luke-warm.  Other's mileage may differ, but that is where I sit.

 

I'd steer into places that Haslab has not yet gone:  Dioramas.
An X-men Danger Room
Fantastic Four Baxter Building Lab
Avenger's Meeting room, with Jarvis
Avenger's Quinjet
Bruce Banner Gamma Lab
I mean, they would all be something to do something with stuff most of us already have--they plus a collection.   Giant Man already has a good rendition (the Walmart excl BAF) that doesn't seem too out of date.

I think the Danger Room and the Labs are good calls.  Maybe an Iron Man Workshop or a Doctor Strange Sanctum.  Doctor Doom's Throne Room might be fun too.  Meeting Rooms and Quinjets maybe not so much.  Outside of Toy photographers I don't see a lot of appeal there but the others feel like they have more "play value" if that makes sense.

But part of the problem is getting these projects approved by Hasbro higher-ups.  Maybe the door is open for something a little more outside the box now that both a vehicle and (likely) a "big figure" HasLab for Marvel Legends will have failed to fund.  I think they could do entire waves of normal to normal-BAF sized figures that "wouldn't get made any other way" as HasLabs and they'd probably fund at least a few.  Though they'd probably want the waves to have some kind of loose "theme" which might make it more difficult or mandate the inclusion of an oft-rehashed character.

I thought the Hell Rider was cool but you know what I think would have had no problem funding?  Danny Ketch Ghost Rider, Vengeance, and Johnny Blaze (Human/Midnight Sons) all on their respective bikes.

Basically maybe less "One big thing with add ons" and more "A lot of small-medium things."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think there are a ton of things out there for Marvel Legends that would work for a Haslab. Marvel has never been a vehicle oriented line so vehicles are not going to have super wide appeal. Fin Fang Foom I think would have had a better chance of funding than Giant Man, because it might appeal to non-marvel fans as well. People love dragons in general these days and if Hasbro had really gone all out on it and blown people's socks off with it, even if it cost more (and if done right it would have) I think more people would have been willing to back it, but even that I would say isn't necessarily a sure thing.

I do think if Hasbro did like a X-Men Danger room as a modular piece, that would have real potential. One modular piece filled with a bunch of the same accessories that you can mix and match. That way if you are someone with limited space and or money, you can just buy 1 or 2 and still have a fun display piece for your figures. If you are someone who has the money and space then you can buy multiples and build it out to true scale. For Star Wars they should consider doing the same thing for a Deathstar playset.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been seeing a lot of panic in the community about this not funding. Maybe I'm just wrong here, but I'm still not the slightest bit worried. Maybe it's just because I'm someone who never backs these things until the final day or two, and because of that I just always personally expected about 40% of the total orders to happen that final weekend of October 20th - October 23rd. I fully intend to buy multiples of this offering and my only other local friend that is into Legends is planning on buying 5 (he owns a comic books store and buys for resale) - but neither of us plans to place our orders until the final couple of days. It's possible that we're outliers, but I'm thinking that there are just many of us out there with that mentality. Yes, I know that you still pay at the same time regardless - but this isn't a pre-order that they might run out of, this is something they will fill as many orders as they receive. I just can't come up with any incentive to ever back it early (and no, there's not really any downside either).

As I recall, people were certain that Galactus wasn't going to fund going into that final week, and it wasn't especially close at the end as it funded all tiers relatively easily. I'll be shocked if this doesn't fund, as I can't imagine a more fan friendly offering and price point for a HasLab campaign. If this fails, Hasbro might just decide that Legends collectors are too price conscious when compared to Star Wars / Transformer / GI Joe collectors to offer anything else like this in the future. I'm also not someone who expects vehicles to do well for a Marvel HasLab. I think it's always going to be mostly be about the characters. I'd love a nice diorama, but after seeing what NECA had to charge for their sewer living room, I don't really seeing that being terribly realistic either.

Only time will tell on all counts. I still expect it to fund, and sincerely hope that it does all the way up to the Skrull Giant-man head. However if it doesn't, I'll still have my Toy Biz BAF version and countless other versions of Hank Pym, so I'll actually be less let down than I was when I realized we will likely never get comic based figures at all of Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider, Madelyne Pryor Goblin Queen and Daimon Hellstorm in the line after the failed Engine of Vengeance. (I would have been happy to get Mephisto, but I'm also perfectly happy with my Marvel Select version). Also, for what it's worth I do think that we'll eventually get MCU versions of Robbie and Mephisto, but probably not Madelyne or Daimon. I'd always just personally rather have the never before made character in the end. I'll usually buy the upgrades/updates, but always wish they'd focus on the never before made characters as the priority (and I think they've been doing a great job this year with characters like M, Quentin Quire, Corsair, Ch'od, Moondragon, Clea, Namorita, etc). I recognize that isn't what sells, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2023 at 9:15 PM, Reno said:

As I recall, people were certain that Galactus wasn't going to fund going into that final week, and it wasn't especially close at the end as it funded all tiers relatively easily. I

If someone is literately panicking over a figure then I don't know what to tell you but based on the numbers we are seeing this does not appear like it's going to fund. No on can predict the future and anything is possible but again based on the numbers its not looking good and here are the key differences between this campaign and Galactus.

While Galactus took longer to fund than say the Sentinel which was a true army builder figure, it still moved faster than this one has been moving.

The Galactus campaign which was more expensive ended on August 30, 2021. Back on August 05 2021 Galactus had 10,719 backers of the minimum 14k backers needed to fund with only 1 stretch goal having been revealed with the Frankie Raye Nova. So with still 25 days left it only needed a minimum 3281 backers with 3 more stretch goals yet to be revealed. It's important to note that with the stretch goals yet to be revealed, people were keeping close tabs on it to see if whatever they ended up being would be enough to convince them to back it for those still on the fence.

Right now Giant Man which is cheaper and we know all the stretch goals is sitting at 5,609 Backers out of the minimum 10k Backers needed. So with just over 14 days left this campaign still needs 4391 Backers. Since we know what all the stretch goals are there is really nothing left that might convince someone who is on the fence to back this campaign nor is there anything left to reveal so people who didn't back it have moved on. See the keeping the stretch goals secret is all about marketing and trying to keep hype going for these things. The hype for Giant man is long over. Also it should be noted that with Giant Man being cheaper than Galactus and needing less backers, logic would have suggested this would have reached it's minimum goal more quickly than Galactus.

Galactus at the beginning of it's final week on August 23, 2021 had 13,156 backers of the needed 14k. So less than 1k to go and again we only knew 1 of the stretch goals. Galactus reached it's minimum 14k backers 2 days later on August 25, 2021 with 5 days left in the campaign. At that point people really started tuning in to see if Nova would be added and what the other stretch goals would be.

Frankie Raye Nova was unlocked on August 26, 2021 when it surpassed 16k backers. That same day Stretch Goal 2 was reveaed to be the Silver Suffer.

The Silver Suffer was unlocked a day later on August 27, 2021 when it surpassed 17, backers. That same day Stretch Goal 3 for the Marvel Legends MORG figure was revealed.

On August 29, 2021 MORG was unlocked when the campaign reached 20k backers. That same day the final stretch goal and weakest of the 4 was revealed to be the Alternate Galactus Doom Head.

On the final day, August 30, 2021 stretch goal 4 for the Alternate Galactus Doom Head was unlocked when it surpassed 22k backers. The Galactus campaign finished out the day with 30,780 backers.

So again no one can see the future and so I can't tell you it's NOT going to fund and who knows, maybe in the last week it will jump over 3k backers even though there are no further incentives to convince someone to back it in the last days. As I've mentioned before IF Hasbro hasn't been adding in it's overseas numbers then seeing a huge jump like could be more likely, but based on the numbers we have before us today it just doesn't seem like that would be the case. There will definitely be a bit of a jump in the final days as there always is with these things, but something like 3k without any further incentives to me just doesn't seem that likely.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can’t speak for anyone else, but Marvel Legends as a line hasn’t captured my interest lately.

Don’t get me wrong, the figures look probably the best they ever have.

For me, several factors play into this:

- The price increases. I just do not feel that most basic figures with basic or no accessories is worth what is being charged.

- Weird pricing. Some things are high and some are super high. I can’t figure out the logic in some of their figure pricing.

- Unwilling to complete teams.  I’ve collected since the first wave of the Toy Biz days. There are still massive holes in my teams. Nuff said.

- Overstock.  Go to an Ollie’s and see all of the Marvel Legends just hanging on the pegs. My local Walmart hasnt been able to move any Marvel Legends all summer. That doesn’t make me feel great as a collector if I see “my line” not moving at retail or clearance.

- Weird Decisions. I don’t understand why army builder packs were limited and rarely restocked on Hasbro Pulse. Engine of Vengeance was overpriced in my opinion and poorly handled. Spider-Man Far from Home figures still aren’t in stores (I’m sure it’s a Disney thing).

I guess I’m just thinking that lack of support for Giantman may not be because people don’t like the figure, it may be because of overall disinterest or frustration in the Marvel Legends line.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m buying the stuff I like and think is worth it.  Unfortunately, I haven’t picked up or preordered a Marvel Legends in many months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still have faith it'll fund, I assume there will be a ton of last-minute backs that will push it to 10K. Not sure about the tiers though. If it doesn't end up funding though, I wonder what their next step would be. Clearly they retread on the EOV and tried to play it safe here by setting the price so low and not including any figure tiers, but if that also doesn't work would they just not do a Haslab next year? Maybe try another Giant Man situation but with figure tiers? Despite what they said about not wanting to lock figures behind a Haslab paywall, I think it 100% would have funded by now if the tiers had been figures like classic Wasp and Yellowjacket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The article said it was about "why" it doesn't seem to be funding as well/quickly as had been anticipated, but the only "why" I see seems to be centered around the timed reveals of new tiers that were done with previous Haslab ventures. Is that the "why" being proposed here - that there are no tiers being revealed as time passes, so people who would somehow be motivated to buy because of that dynamic are not playing along(?). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2023 at 1:37 PM, Sidewinder said:

I can’t speak for anyone else, but Marvel Legends as a line hasn’t captured my interest lately.

Don’t get me wrong, the figures look probably the best they ever have.

For me, several factors play into this:

- The price increases. I just do not feel that most basic figures with basic or no accessories is worth what is being charged.

- Weird pricing. Some things are high and some are super high. I can’t figure out the logic in some of their figure pricing.

- Unwilling to complete teams.  I’ve collected since the first wave of the Toy Biz days. There are still massive holes in my teams. Nuff said.

- Overstock.  Go to an Ollie’s and see all of the Marvel Legends just hanging on the pegs. My local Walmart hasnt been able to move any Marvel Legends all summer. That doesn’t make me feel great as a collector if I see “my line” not moving at retail or clearance.

- Weird Decisions. I don’t understand why army builder packs were limited and rarely restocked on Hasbro Pulse. Engine of Vengeance was overpriced in my opinion and poorly handled. Spider-Man Far from Home figures still aren’t in stores (I’m sure it’s a Disney thing).

I guess I’m just thinking that lack of support for Giantman may not be because people don’t like the figure, it may be because of overall disinterest or frustration in the Marvel Legends line.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m buying the stuff I like and think is worth it.  Unfortunately, I haven’t picked up or preordered a Marvel Legends in many months.

I'm right there with you mate. These figures don't excite me anymore. We pay more for less and their pricing is literally made up on the spot or too overpriced for deluxe/big figs. I mean £55 for blob?! Ridiculous. When I look at GI Joe, Power Rangers and WWE I get excited. I see ML's I just see bland overpriced figures. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's just not an exciting figure. Sorry to burst people's bubble. We keep screaming for X-mansion, Danger room, Quinjet, Blackbird etc, we keep getting stuff a lot of folks don't care about. GI Joe are crushing it with their vehicles so Marvel's branch has no excuse. Hell, even Super 7 are getting their Thundercats stuff funded with no major issues. Personally I don't care if we don't get another Haslab. Marvel legends brand is just dull compared to its competition now. So many pointless characters and it's doubly frustrating when they've barely scratched the Mutant roster

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE