My Top 5 Marvel Legend Picks For 2023 Plus A Look Ahead To What We Could See In 2024

JayC

A Thor repaint but still no Air-Walker? If it's true, really hoping he's not a part of some great BaF wave

All good with the rest of them. A new Ka-Zar is long overdue. 

Well David was right about things so far, so I imagine we can assume he will be right about all of this other stuff, Count Nefaria, Ka-Zar, Ikaris, Wolfsbane and Shield 3 Pack all sound excellent, would be interested in them all, but head scratcher on re-painted Herald Thor, but it's likely the Winter what not version, he will be darker, Heroes Reborn Iron Man doesn't do much for me, I mean X-Factor Wolfsbane would be nice but, Would way rather finally get Feral.

Yeah, this sounds like it would be called an 'Avengers" wave, as they are the catch all for anything not specifically X-men, FF or Spider-man centric. Not sure Wolfsbane would be in this wave and hopefully there is a BAF, and a cool one at that. All these mentioned are on my list, so it's an easy sell for me.  And while I love the idea of starting the Eternals in comic form, I like many, would love to see them finish more teams like Alpha Flight, Starjammers, Inhumans, core Defenders, original GOTG, and the Thunderbolts. Many of these are so close, it would be nice to close the book and finish some displays. And I really hope the Thor is the current comic look... different helmet, bare arms, different wrist bands and the shorter tunic/skirt. Like many, I've really come to like this look a lot. Well, fingers crossed and all that.

Strangely I'm excited for a comic Ikaris. Actually I would be very happy with comic versions of any of the Eternals and even the Inhumans while you're at it. I don't think the distinct failure of both these properties should reflect how most fans actually appreciate them. They tried to make the Inhumans happen and we all know what a bomb that was. And I guess they're still trying to make the Eternals happen but if they just want to save some time and effort I can let them know how that's going to turn out. But it's not like Marvel even listens to real fans anymore. It's not that we don't like them. We just don't like them enough to see them as major players. They are not headliners. They are career back up talent and that's all they'll ever be. And I do like when both of them pop in and out of the comics every once in a while to help out or offer guidance but then they get to go away and we get to have fond memories of them. That being said they are all at least somewhat know by most fans and for even non fans they still have some pretty unique designs and powers. And as far as action figures goes everyone knows variety is the spice of life. Let's get some more of these guys out there. I promise they will sell much better than their comic and movie counterparts. I think.

I hope we get Count Nefaria; I've been wanting this figure for a long time!  We need 2 versions:  the 1st would be his earlier X-Men appearances, like the cover of #22 and #94 (Vol 1).  And of course as he's pictured for the article, in Avengers #165 & 166 (Vol 1).

I know I'm not the only one hoping for Outback Psylocke!

But I may be the only one on the planet hoping to get comic Attuma. 😔

On 1/11/2024 at 12:13 AM, RandomRaccoon said:

But I may be the only one on the planet hoping to get comic Attuma. 😔

oH you are not, Comic Attuma, please, we need those Namor Villains, Orka...gimme that as well, Pirahana, U-man, gimme.

Heck no, I'm all about getting some Namor villians and Attuma is at the top of the list. We should also get Orka, Krang and Stingray, since Walter is a hero, but clashed with Namor since his first appearance. Also, let's go back and start giving some other heroes their classic villians. Where are Daredevil's, Hulk's, Dr. Strange's and some much need Iron Man villians.

Attuma vote here as well! 

I am always shocked by the amount of clearance priced and pegwarming villains. No matter how good they look, or where they stand on my must haves. I was so excited for that villains only set that came out a few years back, but it sold like crap. It wasn't the strongest set as far as lineup or execution, but they saw low sales and that's what matters. It really hurts our chances of seeing more deep track villains. But I agree with the running sentiment of more villains! I would love a Namor set.

On 1/11/2024 at 2:26 PM, since83 said:

Attuma vote here as well! 

I am always shocked by the amount of clearance priced and pegwarming villains. No matter how good they look, or where they stand on my must haves. I was so excited for that villains only set that came out a few years back, but it sold like crap. It wasn't the strongest set as far as lineup or execution, but they saw low sales and that's what matters. It really hurts our chances of seeing more deep track villains. But I agree with the running sentiment of more villains! I would love a Namor set.

Yeah, we need more villains, but they don't seem to sell as well as they should

Really hoping that Hulkbuster is a 90s style Hulkbuster so it doesn't need to compete against the Marvel Select Hulkbuster. Maybe it could be to the Iron Man retro wave what Rhino and Kingpin are to the Spider-Man retro wave? God, I'm already picturing it in my head and it could look beautiful. That oversized retro cardback and the Hulkbuster in all of its glory.

Man, an actual Odin is very high on my list. That drab, undersized alternate baf years ago was just underwhelming. I really hope this is a comic, Big John Buscema style Odin. Regale, massive, marrying the ancient Norse with the futuristic Kirby stylings for the outfit design. That would really be something to look forward to. Destiny, it is waaay past due. And if they finally give Mystique decent legs, I have no problem purchasing her again. Same with Constrictor, probably my favorite Serpent Society member. He has needed a redo for a long time. And if I have to buy Crossbones again to get him, thats okay, especially if he comes pinless this time. Cap deluxe two packs are intriguing. Maybe there will be some villians in there... porcupine, more serpent characters, maybe even an original Bucky. I'll hold off judgement on some of the others on the list as they don't excite me right now. Maybe once we know more. 2024 is looking good!

I usually love these leaked lists but this year's is pretty disappointing to me personally so far. After what I considered a stellar 2023 where we got around 50 new characters making their very first appearance in the line, all I really see in these leaks is re-dos, re-makes or different versions of what has come before. Now while it's likely that I'll buy a bunch of these to replace existing versions with, I will NEVER be excited about a purchasing another version of ANY character that I've already bought a figure of in the past. So far the only 2024 figures that I'm genuinely excited about are Hallow's Eve, Maydelyne Pryor and X-Cutioner who have been confirmed and then Destiny and Nefaria who have been leaked. I've already got at least one version of every other single character specifically called out on that list. As a consumer I never feel good about buying the same product over and over just to sell the older version for pennies on the dollar compared to what I paid for it. I understand that recycling the A-listers is always going to be necessary to keep the line alive, but I do hope that they find ways to mix in new characters like they seemed to in 2023. That X-Men comic wave last year where 6 of the 8 figures (including the BAF Ch'od) had never been done before was one of my favorite waves in a very long time, and it also just happened to include at least 4 of my most 20 most wanted figures. I'd really like to see more of that, personally. I'm sure that there are plenty of people who will continue to buy more versions of Spider-Man, Wolverine, Cap, Venom, etc. - however I find it unlikely that I could ever get excited about a new figure of any of those characters at this point. I feel like I've already spent enough $$$ on figures of those characters at this point. 

I do hope that we finally get a Jim Hammond Human Torch in that rumored Strange Tales wave, though!

Some cool characters. Guess I'll have to break my no movie characters rule to get that Colossus. Finally an Iron Fist update. And a Constrictor update. Both previously done on whatever Hasbro's alteration of the Bullseye body was called back then. Still no updated DD in sight. No Colleen Wing. No She-Hulk update. Still a lot to love here tho.

Not all of these are must haves for me, but this is a damn impressive list with many characters we have been asking for. An updated Iron Fist is a must have (guessing it will be the big collared version and he will come with a redecoed Powerman with multiple head sculpts), any version of Ghost Rider is welcomed, Man-Thing needed a better release than the Netflix wave, people have begged for Warbird, and Destiny for what seems like forever, Crossbones was done dirty with the horrible Hyperion buck (guessing this one will probably be on the Hercules buck), and Skaar, Hulkbuster, and Odin (guessing this one will be comic, since we just got an MCU version not too long ago) will be great to see. It feels like Venom is released as much as Wolverine, but I am sure there are plenty of folks who want more of him. Curious how the other characters will turn out, and if the Cap sets will be MCU or Comic (would love to finally see an Isaiah Bradley). Along with the upcoming Vision from the Void BAF wave, Wolverine sets (finally a proper Sabretooth), deluxe Angel, Haslab Giant-Man, and classic Wasp, this is looking like a strong year for Legends. Fingers crossed we get a Marvel Monsters Box set for Halloween, and an Original X-Men Team Box set for Christmas! 

Let's have a look at this list:

- Deadpool Movie Colossus Deluxe Figure - It would be very interesting to see how he will be a Deluxe.
- Wolverine an Spider-man F4 set - Clearly to go with Franklin and Valeria
- Vemon + Carnage set - Possible Movie Set?
- Venon Anniversary - Hopefully some Toy Biz colour variants
- Venompool deluxe set -  A reissue of the BAF
- Superior Spider-man!!!! - A year out, but an more accurate Otto would be nice.
- 3 deluxe Captain America sets - Hard to see how you could make a deluxe Cap set alone 3
- Iron Fist and unknown figure - Maybe with Misty Knight in a 70's pack
- Odin (Unknown if MCU or Comic) - I'm thinking a more classic comic version
- Hulkbuster - Comic version in retro packaging
- Ghost Rider (Unknown which one) - Please be Danny with his Bike
- Man-Thing (Unknown if comic or MCU) - Either a reissued BAF or an MCU deluxe
- Skaar - Probably a Comic version
- Prowler on retro card - Reissue
- Professor Xavier on retro card - Hopefully in his costume
- Quicksilver on retro card - For his Anniversary, hoping for his late 90's look
- Carnage on retro card - Hopefully with loads of weapons
- Warbird on retro card - A new Black Suit Carol Danvers maybe
- Crossbone and Constrictor 2-pack - Very odd choice for a two pack (and like what is this the 4trh crossbones)
- 4-pack with Dr. Doom, Iron Patriot, Taskmaster and Loki - Probably a Dark Reign Cabal set, so loads of re-releases.
- Destiny and Mystique 2-pack -  Hopefully Mystique will be updates and not another straight re-release

Disappointed there is no mention of a new Wanda, given it is her 60th anniversary

This is the problem when you've been collecting since the beginning. A lot of these I don't need so I would only be interested if it's a huge upgrade in design. If it's comic Odin then I'm all on board for that. Love to get Destiny but really don't need another Mystique. Be interested in Skaar if it's the comic one. Hulkbuster without Iron Man attached has me intrigued to see what that is.