My Top 5 Marvel Legend Picks For 2023 Plus A Look Ahead To What We Could See In 2024

JayC

On 1/15/2024 at 4:59 PM, JohnF said:

I know Colossus is a big dude, but is that on it's own enough to justify a deluxe release? Cause I can't think of what he could come with as an accessory or accessories that would justify the deluxe release. And that's what deluxe should be. 

Same here. I still have my Warlock Wave Colossus and nothing about him screams deluxe. THough if I remember, this body was used for the Comic Ronan who was a Deluxe.

Even Movie Colossus  is only slightly taller MCU Thor

Internet action figure sleuth JTPrime has discovered a new listing of Marvel Legends figures that read as follows:

MVL LEGENDS RETRO 6"' SECRET WARS 1
Product Number: G0779

MVL LEGENDS RETRO 6" SECRET WARS 2
Product Number: G0780

MVL LEGENDS RETRO 6" SECRET WARS 3
Product Number: G0781

MVL LEGENDS RETRO 6" SECRET WARS 4
Product Number: G0782

MVL LEGENDS RETRO 6" SECRET WARS 5
Product Number: G0783

MVL LEGENDS RETRO 6" SECRET WARS 6'
Product Number: G0784

These appear to be comic book based figures that will see release in December 2024. The original Marvel Comics Secret Wars mini-series which debuted back in 1984 is celebrating it's 40th Anniversary and we all know how Hasbro likes to do figures for special comic event anniversaries, so we feel like these figures will have some connection to that. We also assume these will be on some kind of Retro cardback. Could the cardbacks be replicas of the original Secret Wars action figure line from Mattel? My initial thought would be no, but remember last year we got word that Hasbro and Mattel had started working together, so who knows maybe it could happen.

With the figures being done on some type of Retro Cardbacks there likely will not be a Build-A-Figure in this wave, but my question is will we finally get a Beyonder Marvel Legends figure???

Marvel-Secret-Wars.jpg

On 1/15/2024 at 5:51 PM, tarot said:

The Beyonder is garenteed in this wave. I have no doubt about that. Hopefully some character introduced in this series will come as well like Titania and Volcania.

Titania and Volcania would be good to see. The Beyonder would be a given, then again he didn't actually appear in Secret Wars.

On 1/15/2024 at 7:15 PM, leokearon said:

Same here. I still have my Warlock Wave Colossus and nothing about him screams deluxe. THough if I remember, this body was used for the Comic Ronan who was a Deluxe.

Even Movie Colossus  is only slightly taller MCU Thor

Yeah, I guess we'll just have to see if it's worth it when it comes out.  

One figure I hope is in that Secret Wars wave is a pinless symbiote Spidey. Either a rerelease of the 2-pack RYV one without the shading or a new version on the AF mold. 

I also 100% see Hasbro doing Colossus as a deluxe. He was at least a head taller than Deadpool in the movies and he'd be a brand new mold. Plus we don't know if he'll have any significant design updates for the third movie, he may be even bigger and more elaborate, maybe more Jim Lee styled.

Wow tons of info here.... this is my take

Movie Colossus - Easy Pass
Wolverine & Spider-Man F4 - probably a Pass, don't need more of these guys
Venom & Carnage - really depends on what this is, likely I need everything Symbiote
Venom Anniversary - Yet again depends on what this is, probably gonna want it
Venompool Deluxe - probably a re-release of the BAF, so I don't need that
Superior Spider-Man - probably a pass, I already have one, despite it showing it's age, but don't really think I need another one
Captain America Sets (3?) - Don't know what this is, gotta wait and see
Iron Fist & ? - well I need a new Iron Fist, so this sounds good, Maybe he's with Misty? Colleen? or Steel Serpent?
Odin - if this is a comic Odin, I'm gonna want this, MCU nope
Hulkbuster - really want a comic Hulkbuster, yes
Ghostrider - always want more Ghost Rider, yes please be Dan
Man-Thing - Hope it's a new comic one, but even if it's MCU probably going to get that, since MCU could be a decent comic stand-in
Skaar - Oh Yes
Prowler - No, it would likely be the Prowler I already have re-released
Professor X - YES! but really hope he comes with a chair, not just a walking Xavier
Quicksilver - probably the green suit, so no, not interested, Blue is fine for me
Carnage - Probably the Venompool wave one again, so with apparently what another Carnage this year, I have a lot of Carnages, probably don't need this
Warbird - Oh finally! yes
Crossbones & Constrictor - Already have these 2, but these might be really nice Updates, we do need a better Constrictor
Doom, Iron Patriot, Taskmaster & Loki 4 pack - Hmmm,depends on what this is, I'd take a new Iron Patriot and Tasky
Destiny & Mystique - I'm gonna need a Destiny...so yeah

Secret Wars Wave! OMG, I really hope that gives us new characters like Titania, Volcana, Beyonder, Wrecking Crew Members.... but I bet it's just carded on Secret wars cards figures we already have...with some extras

Makes sense we'd possibly get retro Secret Wars cards considering the recent retro card love.  I don't imagine a BaF in it but you never know.  Beyonder, Titania and Volcana would be the only ones I would be looking for though.

Weird they didn't just wait a minute with that Doom we just got. So a re release of him on a card? We just got that Kang, and a really nice Zemo too. I would assume a black suit Spidey as well. I hope I'm wrong but probably carded figs we have. 

On 1/15/2024 at 9:35 PM, since83 said:

Weird they didn't just wait a minute with that Doom we just got. So a re release of him on a card? We just got that Kang, and a really nice Zemo too. I would assume a black suit Spidey as well. I hope I'm wrong but probably carded figs we have. 

well, according to the earlier leak, we have a Doom coming in a 4 pack so I highly doubt they would release another one in the Secret Wars wave.

On 1/15/2024 at 11:40 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Captain America Sets (3?) - Don't know what this is, gotta wait and see
Professor X - YES! but really hope he comes with a chair, not just a walking Xavier

From what I've heard, the Captain America deluxes are going to be movie-based. Also rumor is that Xavier will be Warlord Xavier.

Hmm, I would be up for the Beyonder, Volcana, Titania, new properly scaled Absorbing Man and the Wrecking Crew. Now those are all villians, so that is very unlikely. But we seem to have all the heroes from that story and many recent villians from it also. I'm sure we will get yet another black suit spidey, and maybe Julia Carpenter Spider-woman... she would be a repaint of the recent WC Avengers box set one. It would be very disappointing if we got a bunch of repaints for this wave. 

On 1/15/2024 at 3:41 PM, tarot said:

well, according to the earlier leak, we have a Doom coming in a 4 pack so I highly doubt they would release another one in the Secret Wars wave.

You're probably right. That Doom with the shield on the og packaging would look epic though. I hope the Beyonder Titania Volcana guesses are right. All the heroes are done and most other villains too, so I still assume we are getting re-releases on new cards, but I hope I am wrong.

While I like the prospect of FINALLY getting a Mystique without spaghetti legs and FINALLY getting any Destiny figure at all I do think it's a mistake packing them together. As prominent a couple they've become in the comics female figures are traditionally not strong sellers. No matter who they are. And all female multi-packs are notorious clearance shelf fuel. I bought multiples of both the A-Force and Rescue/Cap Marvel packs at massive discount. And there was a reason the Hydra & SHIELD female agent pack was Pulse only. I think a better strategy would have been a couple of 2 packs with some later Freedom Force members like Stonewall or Super Sabre or Crimson Commando. All of them are easy designs that would be simple to make with existing molds. I mean they know we're going to want them eventually anyway. And I'm not sure how well they'd sell as a set either. If they snuck Val Cooper in the line up they could have got three sets out of it. Then again I'm just a customer.

On 1/15/2024 at 5:26 PM, Ironspider428 said:

From what I've heard, the Captain America deluxes are going to be movie-based. Also rumor is that Xavier will be Warlord Xavier.

Ooh Movie Based means I'm out, so I hope that's true since I don't need more to buy, Xavier being his Warlord look...ugh I dunno, not really an Xavier I want personally, was hoping at least for his Jumpsuit look if anything, but since I'm yearning for an Xavier if it's Warlord I probably would buy it.

On 1/16/2024 at 4:48 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Ooh Movie Based means I'm out, so I hope that's true since I don't need more to buy, Xavier being his Warlord look...ugh I dunno, not really an Xavier I want personally, was hoping at least for his Jumpsuit look if anything, but since I'm yearning for an Xavier if it's Warlord I probably would buy it.

Which one is Warlord Xavier?

On 1/16/2024 at 7:00 AM, AndyL said:

While I like the prospect of FINALLY getting a Mystique without spaghetti legs and FINALLY getting any Destiny figure at all I do think it's a mistake packing them together. As prominent a couple they've become in the comics female figures are traditionally not strong sellers. No matter who they are. And all female multi-packs are notorious clearance shelf fuel. I bought multiples of both the A-Force and Rescue/Cap Marvel packs at massive discount. And there was a reason the Hydra & SHIELD female agent pack was Pulse only. I think a better strategy would have been a couple of 2 packs with some later Freedom Force members like Stonewall or Super Sabre or Crimson Commando. All of them are easy designs that would be simple to make with existing molds. I mean they know we're going to want them eventually anyway. And I'm not sure how well they'd sell as a set either. If they snuck Val Cooper in the line up they could have got three sets out of it. Then again I'm just a customer.

I think set will sell well enough just for the sake of it being classic Mystique, especially if they give her extra articulation like Black Widow. Even emaciated Walgreens Mystique sold like crazy, and if anything slightly lower sales might be good because collectors will be able to get this set for retail price until it eventually twice as much on after market. 

On another note I’m excited to see Warbird/Ms. Marvel get another try. I wonder if they will reuse Power princess base that actually not as tall if you have her on flat feet or they will rework moonstone or even use Shriek body, which would be more lazy.