Disney's New Streaming Service Disney+ Official Announcement Plus Loki Series Confirmed

JayC

The Walt Disney Company’s new direct-to-consumer streaming service will be called Disney+. Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger revealed the service’s name today during a live audio webcast of Disney’s fiscal full year and fourth quarter 2018 financial results. Disney+ is scheduled to launch in the U.S. in late 2019.

Iger also announced that Lucasfilm is in development on a second Star Wars live-action series for Disney+ that will go into production next year. The series will follow the adventures of Rebel spy Cassian Andor during the formative years of the Rebellion and prior to the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Diego Luna will reprise the role of Andor, which he originated in the 2016 film. “Going back to the Star Wars universe is very special for me,” said Luna. “I have so many memories of the great work we did together and the relationships I made throughout the journey. We have a fantastic adventure ahead of us, and this new exciting format will give us the chance to explore this character more deeply.” The rousing spy thriller will explore tales filled with espionage and daring missions to restore hope to a galaxy in the grip of a ruthless Empire. A release date for the series will be announced at a later date.

Disney+ is also assembling a live-action series centered around a fan-favorite character from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Iger today confirmed that Marvel Studios is developing a series based on Loki, the god of mischief, to star Tom Hiddleston.

The new projects join an impressive slate of films and series planned for Disney+ that includes new stories set in the worlds of Disney•Pixar’s Monsters Inc. and Disney Channel’s High School Musical, as well as a galaxy far, far away. Earlier this year, Lucasfilm revealed that Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau will write and executive produce The Mandalorian for Disney+. The live-action series, which is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order, is currently in production with a lineup of directors that include Deborah Chow (Marvel’s Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates) and Taika Waititi (Marvel Studios’ Thor: Ragnarok).

1 of 1

This is cool!  I was wondering about this Disney streaming service and going to ask somewhere in these boards but didn’t know where. It gives me a lot of stuff I can watch with my kids that we’d actually both enjoy. (Maybe some things secretly and others more openly lol.) but hopefully this means we’ll be seeing more of some of our favorite Marvel characters on screen. Hopefully eventually they’ll put Daredevil and Punisher on there if they are getting cancelled from Netflix. Which sounds like that’s not actually confirmed right now. I just hope they do t get tuned down anymore from what they currently are; it being Disney and all. 

17 minutes ago, JKenbok said:

This is cool!  I was wondering about this Disney streaming service and going to ask somewhere in these boards but didn’t know where. It gives me a lot of stuff I can watch with my kids that we’d actually both enjoy. (Maybe some things secretly and others more openly lol.) but hopefully this means we’ll be seeing more of some of our favorite Marvel characters on screen. Hopefully eventually they’ll put Daredevil and Punisher on there if they are getting cancelled from Netflix. Which sounds like that’s not actually confirmed right now. I just hope they do t get tuned down anymore from what they currently are; it being Disney and all. 

Expect Disney+ to be very family friendly and essentially capped at PG/soft PG13. Marvel Studios movies will be on there, but don't expect more violent fare such as the current DD, Punisher, etc. or R-rated content such as the Deadpool flicks. That said, Disney already owns 30% of Hulu, and will own 60% after the Fox acquisition goes through, so I suspect they'll use them for more "adult-oriented" stuff like the current Netflix Marvel shows. BTW, streaming rights for Star Wars flicks are currently held by someone else so, unless Disney buys back those rights, it'll be awhile before they play on Disney+. IIRC, the deal ends in like 2020/21 or thereabouts.

39 minutes ago, Hai_Karate said:

Expect Disney+ to be very family friendly and essentially capped at PG/soft PG13. Marvel Studios movies will be on there, but don't expect more violent fare such as the current DD, Punisher, etc. or R-rated content such as the Deadpool flicks. That said, Disney already owns 30% of Hulu, and will own 60% after the Fox acquisition goes through, so I suspect they'll use them for more "adult-oriented" stuff like the current Netflix Marvel shows. BTW, streaming rights for Star Wars flicks are currently held by someone else so, unless Disney buys back those rights, it'll be awhile before they play on Disney+. IIRC, the deal ends in like 2020/21 or thereabouts.

Oh man that’s awhile away. Thanks for that info!  I’m cool with those shows popping up on Netflix. I just hope we’re not waiting 2 yrs plus until then. I don’t wanna see Deadpool anywhere near Disney lol. Keep Deadpool the way it was meant to be. If he does show up there I imagine it’ll be something like the Ultimate Spiderman episodes he was in. 

Kinda wish Disney just kept its stuff on the other streaming sites. I already have Prime, Hulu, and Netflix. I’m not interested in adding another service to expand what’s available. Oh well, still have more than enough options to keep me and the family entertained.

13 hours ago, JKenbok said:

Oh man that’s awhile away. Thanks for that info!  I’m cool with those shows popping up on Netflix. I just hope we’re not waiting 2 yrs plus until then. I don’t wanna see Deadpool anywhere near Disney lol. Keep Deadpool the way it was meant to be. If he does show up there I imagine it’ll be something like the Ultimate Spiderman episodes he was in. 

Marvel Studios has already gone on record stating Deadpool movies would remain rated-R under Disney. I'm pretty sure they'll have to tone the character down when/if he appears in X-men or other MCU flicks though as they're meant to be more kid-friendly, which makes sense.

1 hour ago, Hai_Karate said:

Marvel Studios has already gone on record stating Deadpool movies would remain rated-R under Disney. I'm pretty sure they'll have to tone the character down when/if he appears in X-men or other MCU flicks though as they're meant to be more kid-friendly, which makes sense.

Okay that’s awesome. I’m cool with that. Thanks for all the info.