'The Punisher' & 'Jessica Jones' Canceled By Netflix

Outsiders

Netflix continues their cancellation streak with Marvel's The Punisher and Jessica Jones.

There will be no Season 3 of the Jon Bernthal led vigilante series, The Punisher, but the completed third season of the Krysten Ritter starring Jessica Jones will still appear on the streaming service.  

“Marvel’s The Punisher will not return for a third season on Netflix,” Netflix confirmed today to sources. “Showrunner Steve Lightfoot, the terrific crew, and exceptional cast including star Jon Bernthal, delivered an acclaimed and compelling series for fans, and we are proud to showcase their work on Netflix for years to come,” the streamer added.

“In addition, in reviewing our Marvel programming, we have decided that the upcoming third season will also be the final season for Marvel’s Jessica Jones,” Netflix also made official this President’s Day. “We are grateful to showrunner Melissa Rosenberg, star Krysten Ritter and the entire cast and crew, for three incredible seasons of this groundbreaking series, which was recognized by the Peabody Awards among many others”.

“We are grateful to Marvel for five years of our fruitful partnership and thank the passionate fans who have followed these series from the beginning.”

Bernthal took to social media this morning to offer a cryptic farewell of sorts:

"To all who have served. All who know loss. All who love and understand Frank and his pain. It has been an honor to walk in his boots. I’m endlessly grateful to the comic fans and the men and women of the Armed Services and law enforcement community who Frank means so much to. Thank you to the USMC and all the wonderful soldiers who trained me. Go Hard. Be safe."

Source: Deadline

Punisher-Jessica-Jones.jpg

Not particularly surprising, is it? This was coming since DD got cut. I could understand IF and LC getting cancelled, I enjoyed them thoroughly but the reception was mixed to bad... but when the greatest streaming service series ever got cancelled... well it was bound to hit the other two.

Thats ok. I officially canceled Netfix a week ago. After they canceled Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist, did not properly wrap up House of Cards, Orange is the New Black is all over the place, messed up another show I liked, I just see no point in keeping them. Stranger Things was good but they will mess that up as well.

We all knew it was coming, sad to see marvel netflix ending but the most annoying part is not getting resolution for Luke and Danny's stories.  Not quitting netflix though, beyond the marvel series they seem to come out with new series i enjoy all the time (unlike the cable networks).. just in the last few weeks they've added Russian Doll and now Umbrella Academy.  I do hope Hulu will at least do a PM/IF mini-series to wrap up the storylines from their respective 2nd seasons.

Wow this is big news (said no one ever!) come on we all knew this was coming, it cant come as a surprise, I really hope in a couple years Marvel picks up these shows either on Hulu or their Disney Streaming Service directly, yeah Luke Cage and Ironfist werent the best but they had potential to be better, Jessica Jones I think its main issue is that the first series was so good it made us think it would all be the same and well I dont think they have much to work with on that character but for DD and Punisher they still have a lot of stories they can make and would be really well recieved

10 minutes ago, mako said:

No,they won't. It's already been announced the Netflix shows end with Netflix. There will be no revivals on other platforms. If the characters ever are used again, it won't be the versions from the Netflix shows.

Do you have a source on that? Because as far as I've read that hasn't been confirmed, and shows have been known to be dropped by certain producers only to be picked up by a different studio. Especially with the rights in the right place. 

I saw somewhere (unreliable source) that Disney had to wait a couple of years before being able to use any of the characters, but at least Charlie Cox has expressed interest in continuing Murdock's story.

M3h, we knew it was coming. I loved Bernthal as Frank. His presence, his physicality, his verbal and physical tics he would do, it was just an amazing performance.

Charlie Cox was spot on too.

I would have loved to see what Cage did in a third season as the kingpin of Harlem, trying to keep his moral compass while having to do some ill ish to hold down his set.

Wanted more Colleen Iron Fist.

Jessica Jones bored me and I won't miss her.

• 3 weeks later...