J.J. Abrams and Henry Abrams Make Their Marvel Comics Debut With SPIDER-MAN #1

JayC

The secret is out! This September, legendary filmmaker J.J. Abrams (Star Wars, Star Trek, Super šŸ˜Ž and his son Henry Abrams will co-write SPIDER-MAN, a five-issue limited series years in the making, with art by the incredible Sara Pichelli (Miles Morales, Guardians Of The Galaxy) and cover art by the amazing Olivier Coipel!

Speaking to The New York Times, J.J. teased, ā€œThe story shows Peter Parker in a way you havenā€™t seen him before.ā€

ā€œSpider-Man is one of those super heroes where the more you read about him, for me at least, the less I understand him,ā€ added Henry. ā€œHeā€™s so anti-everything that youā€™d expect from a hero. I think Stan Lee said something about putting the human in superhuman. That is what weā€™re trying to do.ā€

Together, the father-son duo will introduce fans to a mysterious new villain named Cadaverous ā€“ whose identity remains to be seenā€¦but what do they have planned for Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson?!

All will be revealed this fall in SPIDER-MAN #1!
Ā 

SPIDER-MAN #1 (OF 5)
Written by J.J. ABRAMS AND HENRY ABRAMS
Art by SARA PICHELLI
Colors by DAVE STEWART
Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
On sale September 2019

Ā 

1 of 1

1 hour ago, Hogun said:

I would have preferred a comic book adaptation of the unreleased Spider-Man 4.

For some reason many people thought that was what was being teased but there is just no way Sony would greenlight something like that which would take away from their current Spider-Man.

2 hours ago, JayC said:

For some reason many people thought that was what was being teased but there is just no way Sony would greenlight something like that which would take away from their current Spider-Man.

I know others were suspecting a F4/Spidey team-up given the way the story was teased and Slott now doing the F4

I personally think this is just another one of Marvel's gimmick stories. Seems pretty clear Abrams is only involved in order to allow his son to write a comic book, not that it matters cause I don't really see how being a big name movie director is a real qualification for being able to write a good comic book story. Im sure this will grab a lot of headlines and might even give them a temporary boost in sales but IMO its this kind of thing that has hurt the industry more than helps. Lets not take the time to invest long term in real writers and develop long term stories with good artists but instead invest in gimmicks that grab headlines.

Ā 

2 minutes ago, JayC said:

I personally think this is just another one of Marvel's gimmick stories. Seems pretty clear Abrams is only involved in order to allow his son to write a comic book, not that it matters cause I don't really see how being a big name movie director is a real qualification for being able to write a good comic book story. Im sure this will grab a lot of headlines and might even give them a temporary boost in sales but IMO its this kind of thing that has hurt the industry more than helps. Lets not take the time to invest long term in real writers and develop long term stories with good artists but instead invest in gimmicks that grab headlines.

Ā 

Yeah, it sounds like Stunt-Casting, maybe it will be good but we will have to wait and see.

Ā 

Also long term stories are pointless in Marvel given nearly every event changes theĀ  status quoĀ 

10 hours ago, JayC said:

I know this is true, but I also allowed myself to ponder a comic adaptation of the abandoned storyline.Ā  I like that the general sentiment is that their countdown allowed fans' imagination to run amok with the inevitable let down for what the project actually is, and that theĀ hype backfired.Ā  Amusing.Ā Ā 

Just now, Emnems80 said:

The point I was making is that fans would have looked forward to Spiderman 4 based on 1 and 2. Nobody would have looked forward to a Schumacher Batman 5 based on 3 and 4.

And I know a lot of people who weren't looking forward to Spider-man 4 based on 3.Ā  Hence my earlier comment.