Hasbro Posts Strong Profits Thanks To Marvel And Avengers: Endgame

JayC

CNBC reported this week that Hasbro posted a good earnings estimate for the second quarter in larger part due to strong sales of their Avengers: Endgame products. This news sent Hasbro stocks soaring, up nearly 9%.

Hasbro's current deal with Disney for the Marvel master toy license as well as Star Wars will expire at the end of 2020, but according the CNBC article, Hasbro has every intention of extending those licenses for years to come.

Marvel and Star Wars are two of the top five best-selling toy properties in the world, according to NPD data.

hasbro.jpg

Yeah, count me as one who was skeptical of rumors Hasbro would lose the license.  Although i can see how the way they've been pumping out product this year, including the 80th anniv stuff which includes a lot of figures people have been clamoring for years, might lead people to think they were trying to wrap things up.

I thought it more likely that Hasbro would not *lose* but give up the star wars license, since my own perception is that merchandise from the new movies isn't really selling that well.  But then i tend to be pretty focused on Black series and forget there are a lot of other star wars toys that hasbro makes that could make it worthwhile for them overall... and even my sense that black series isn't selling well could be way off base.

I agree with bashpics99 that Hasbro is likely, internally deliberating abandoning the Star Wars license. It has been well documented via Patreon and WorldClassBSers that the profitability of that license is in severe doubt and disarray, as the ST underperforms and fails to capture the magic of the OT. People and kids are walking by that garbage, hence why you see such reduced Star Wars sections.

Marvel on the other hand...I cant find a single legends nor even the kid oriented line of figures on the pegs at most Targets and Wal Marts in my metro area. Yeah, the Marvel license isnt going anywhere.

3 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

Yeah, count me as one who was skeptical of rumors Hasbro would lose the license.  Although i can see how the way they've been pumping out product this year, including the 80th anniv stuff which includes a lot of figures people have been clamoring for years, might lead people to think they were trying to wrap things up.

I thought it more likely that Hasbro would not *lose* but give up the star wars license, since my own perception is that merchandise from the new movies isn't really selling that well.  But then i tend to be pretty focused on Black series and forget there are a lot of other star wars toys that hasbro makes that could make it worthwhile for them overall... and even my sense that black series isn't selling well could be way off base.

Given they are planning a massive Force Friday this year, it is clear thewy aren't planning to lose the Star Wars licence

I feel like Star Wars in general is kind of dwindling interest. Most of the movies that have come out havent been that great and arent adding things that have stayed for generations like the original trilogy did. Altho if they stayed after the second trilogy, I dont think they are going to drop it here. I thought the Black series was doing great for them? I also think that maybe people are getting bored with star wars things.. could just be me tho.. And superheroes are getting more and more played out but they keep unearthing characters from our childhoods so I dont see that going away for a while. Star Wars doesnt have much to pull from really, how many Boba Fetts do people really want? 

I admire the fact that Hasbro does appreciate the fact that both marvel and the endgame have done well for them and now they'll do their best to use their remaining time doing more Marvel and Star wars merchandise until they lose in 2020, but i am skeptical as well that they'll lose those licenses too since they're improving and improving their figures time by time, soo i guess there's that.

The biggest danger of them losing the license would be if Mattel undercut Hasbro by making a cheaper offer to Disney, but I don't know how realistic that is. But if so it'd be a mistake. The popularity of the movies and the Marvel brand definitely drive sales, but I also think the fact that the quality level from Hasbro is the best they've ever done with the line so far also is a major factor. 

Marvel is gonna sell no matter what, but I have to imagine crappy DC Multiverse-style articulation and paint (though they have been improving in that area; ironically right before they lose the license) would eventually chip away at interest from collectors.

5 hours ago, watanabefan said:

The biggest danger of them losing the license would be if Mattel undercut Hasbro by making a cheaper offer to Disney, but I don't know how realistic that is. But if so it'd be a mistake. The popularity of the movies and the Marvel brand definitely drive sales, but I also think the fact that the quality level from Hasbro is the best they've ever done with the line so far also is a major factor. 

Marvel is gonna sell no matter what, but I have to imagine crappy DC Multiverse-style articulation and paint (though they have been improving in that area; ironically right before they lose the license) would eventually chip away at interest from collectors.

The most recent CD Multiverse figs are head and shoulders above anything they've done in the past. Kinda sux that just about the time Mattel got their isht together they got the rug pulled out from them by the notorious articulation hater McFarlane. But in the end it's Mattel's own fault for taking so long to simply adopt ankle pivot. It's been like 8 years since Hasbro's been doing it and Mattel just started. Sorry guys, too little too late.

That being said there's about a zero to none chance Hasbro loses the Marvel license. Both Hasbro and Disney are gonna ride this gravy train till the wheels fall off and no matter what numbers are thrown around at bid time these two will find a way to work it out. I think DC gave Mattel too much leniency just for the good will they built with the DCUC success but they ultimately used the extra rope to hang themselves. I don't see Hasbro making the same mistake. They're at their peak and only getting better.

As for Star Wars, I think Hasbro could easily pass on that. With the acquisition of the Power Rangers, which are awesome, and Overwatch (also very good) I think the impact would be minimal if any. It's a dead franchise anyway. Time to put that horse down. Disney literally ran it of the PC cliff. Luckily they saw exactly how easy it is to trash a huge property like that qbefore they went full bore with Marvel, though I would say the announcement of Lady Thor (cuzthats what she is) gives one pause. We shall see.

It would kill me if Disney ever decided to switch to Mattel. In Canada, I enjoy being able to find and collect my action figures. Can't do that with Mattel products here. Not without having to pay an arm and a leg. 

34 minutes ago, LandoTucker said:

Re: Star Wars comments.

I don't know if the mods want to point this out, but this site is MARVELOUSNEWS.COM, and the purpose of these forums is for discussion of Marvel. Marvel, Marvel and more Marvel. It's complicated, I know.

Last year, I got so entirely sick and tired of hearing 'real Star Wars fans' hitting on Star Wars because of some weird, alt-right hate paradigm through which Star Wars must now apparently be understood. Sick of these donkeys braying about social justice warriors, I left all Star Wars websites and social media feeds. But I didn't stop buying the toys! 

So, my friends, no-one with a brain cares what you say. But you know that if you shout loudly enough and repeat yourselves often enough, you can make a brand seem toxic. So, well done! You must be very proud of yourselves.

Now, can we please remove Star Wars hate-speak & rant-athletes from the forums?

While I understand and relate, I wouldn't say it's a bad thing to discuss SW subjects on a Marvel website. Firstly because they're both Disney brands and secondly because they're both licenced to Hasbro for figures. 

What I do agree with, and from what I've read most of the administrators do too, is the SJW complaints. I'm trying to steer away from such comments and stop interacting with them, but sometimes, like you said, they get too loud and I can't help but speak out against it.

I recommend ignoring the posts or muting those accounts altogether, even if it means missing out on every other thing that's not annoying about them.

Here is the deal. @monron999 technically your initial comment in this thread breaks no rules hence why it wasn't deleted. It's stating an opinion related somewhat to to the topic and your not attacking anyone specifically unlike that last time where you comment had no place in the thread and was totally off topic. That being said, you honestly sound like a broken record and it seems like you do it on purpose just to try and get a rise out of people, maybe I am wrong but that is how it comes off. I think we all know where you stand, and in all honestly you probably should just get out of the hobby now cause no matter how much you complain Disney isn't going to stop doing things like spotlighting women in positions of power with their characters and movies. If you hated Star Wars my guess your really going to hate MCU Phase 4, and no one really wants to hear you constantly ranting about it in every thread for the next two years. If you dont like something then move on to something you do but I'm not going to have my forums constantly disrupted by this kind of thing and I don't believe for a minute you don't know what your doing when you make your same comments over and over again.

@LandoTucker Technically speaking you are the one actually breaking the rules here by taking this topic off subject ranting about someone's opinion you don't like or agree with. Your probably doing exactly what he wants you do do.  If you don't agree with monron's assessment of the situation or anyone's for that matter then either IGNORE them and move on or debate them in a civil fashion countering their arguments. It's ridiculous to expect your going to come on to any kind of public forum and only find like minded people who think like you or agree with you. I don't think its actually unreasonable to point out that Star Wars is at one of its all time lows in popularity and Star Wars is mentioned in the article. I don't agree with Monron's assessment as to why that is and the article even counters his comment about SW being worthless being it still remains one of the top 5 selling toy lines out there, but nevertheless your rant is being far more disruptive and off topic to this thread than Monron's comment. 

So TO EVERYONE TAKE NOTE. Any post not deemed on topic to the subject at hand here or in any thread will be deleted. No debate, no arguing just deleted and if you develop a track record of trying to take topics of course you will be asked or forced to leave. Also, you don't have to like everyone on here, you don't have to agree with everyone, in fact I almost guarantee your not going to, and for those you don't like or agree with, my STRONG recommendation is to IGNORE them, or debate them in a civil manner as long as its on subject, but if you can't do those things then again you will be asked to leave or forced to leave, and if you are going to get mad because I won't ban or delete every comment you don't like then you probably should find another community to join as well.

I truly hope we can all come together here and enjoy our hobby we have chosen to partake in here in this community. My intent isn't to have to ban anyone but I will if I have to and you leave me no choice.

So I am going to be deleting the posts in this thread off topic except for this one. If there is something on this any one wants to discuss further, feel free to hit me up in PM, but again anything off topic here or any thread will be deleted.

6 hours ago, JayC said:

I think we all know where you stand, and in all honestly you probably should just get out of the hobby now cause no matter how much you complain Disney isn't going to stop doing things like spotlighting women in positions of power with their characters and movies. If you hated Star Wars my guess your really going to hate MCU Phase 4.

Errrrr......I'm confused. Do you have some inside information that Hasbro will only be doing movie based figures during Phase 4. Otherwise suggesting I give up the hobby altogether is kinda irrational. Asking for a friend.

I highly doubt Hasbro would "only" be doing MCU based lines once the phase 4 movies start hitting. That would be financial suicide for them as not everyone collects just MCU figs, many of us are comic based figure collectors.

They'll make an MCU only based wave once in a while along with a comic only based wave , but the vast majority of the time, they'll make the waves a mixture of MCU/Comic figs to appease both collector bases.

53 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

I highly doubt Hasbro would "only" be doing MCU based lines once the phase 4 movies start hitting. That would be financial suicide for them as not everyone collects just MCU figs, many of us are comic based figure collectors.

They'll make an MCU only based wave once in a while along with a comic only based wave , but the vast majority of the time, they'll make the waves a mixture of MCU/Comic figs to appease both collector bases.

According to a fwoosher, of figures scheduled for this year, 99 are comic based and  53 are mcu.  I'd say comic ML fans have nothing to worry about.  

That said, i could see hasbro continuing to release mcu figs for endgame and earlier movies, perhaps as part of an endgame wave 4 or in sets.  In addition of course we will likely get mixed mcu-comic waves for Black Widow and the Eternals.  

I'm happy Hasbro is doing so well. They've been giving me so much joy with their action figures and I hope they will manage to continue so after 2020. 

It will be tough negotiations for the license extension. I assume Marvel/Disney will ask for loads of money, considering the prior success of the license. Additionally, it might be that Mattel will be hungry for some Marvel honey.

I doubt Hasbro will let go the license, but we might get some price increase after license extension.

I was at Target today & saw the new 3 figure wave release of DC universe 6' scale figs & that  Batman/Joker/Poison Ivy set looked like some kiddie toy line, all 3 had bad head sculpts & just looked extremely unsat. Hasbro ML sculpters blow away Mattel's DC sculpting dept. I will quit collecting the ML line should Mattel ever get it's hands on the contract. The last great DC 6' line was the 4 HM sculpted DCUC line.