Sony Closes The Door On Spider-Man's Return To The MCU

JayC

Variety reports that Sony Pictures chairman and CEO Tony Vinciquerra has closed the door on Spider-Man returning to the MCU at least for now.

“For the moment the door is closed, We had a great run with (Feige) on Spider-Man movies. We tried to see if there’s a way to work it out….the Marvel people are terrific people, we have great respect for them, but on the other hand we have some pretty terrific people of our own. Kevin didn’t do all the work.”

With the deal between Sony and Disney over, Sony can once again use the Wall-Crawler to more directly help boost their own universe of Marvel-based spider characters such as Venom and Morbius. Of course if things don't work out and these Sony Spider-Universe movies start to bomb at the box office, it seems like Vinciquerra is trying to leave the door open just ever so slightly in hopes they can go back to Disney and renegotiate a new deal.

Just now, mako said:

Actually, it sounds like he was being diplomatic. He didn't wanna say "We offered Marvel/Disney a piece of the pie, and they tried to take the whole dang thing."

In any case, that's one character free of the MCU train wreck. God willing he won't be the last.

He was being diplomatic about it, but I think they want him out of the MCU for their own universe more than money itself.  They also prob don't want Disney to freeze Spider-Man our like they did with X-Men.

Well, I don't really know how to feel about this. On one hand, I really liked seeing Spidey in the MCU, on the other hand, due to how he was introduced and kinda set up to be Ironman's successor the way he was developed was quite curious. 

Guess we'll have to wait and see what Sony does with the character. Also I'm curious, how are they gonna explain his absence in the MCU? A wizard did it?

12 hours ago, JayC said:

Of course if things don't work out and these Sony Spider-Universe movies start to bomb at the box office, it seems like Vinciquerra is trying to leave the door open just ever so slightly in hopes they can go back to Disney and renegotiate a new deal.

I love how you guys are just desperate to take any and all potshots at Sony. Here's a few things you seem to have forgotten: Venom didn't bomb. Into the Spider-Verse didn't bomb. If a movie doesn't clear $1 billion it does not automatically make it a bomb. And if Venom 2 and Morbius bomb (as you clearly hope they do) Sony will double down and try again. And again. And again.

3 hours ago, mako said:

Because, as the Big Thorbowski has taught us, if Disney knows anything, its how to treat its characters (IF they know anything).

Same way they did with Sif, ignore the issue all together and/or replace him with another character.

Folks, when Mako, who once claimed DC Universe Classics was a billion dollar license, said WB needed to keep Christopher Nolan in check because Bane was wearing the "wrong" mask, and blamed s***** looking DC Collectibles figures on Mattel, is the voice of reason and intelligence here, y'all got a problem.

I mean, tbh there aren't a lot of upcoming mcu movies where spidey would obviously fit it as a supporting player. I don't see Peter hanging out in space or Wakanda or with the Eternals.  Wouldn't mind seeing Spidey team up with Doc Strange but they've already got Scarlet Witch to cover the "its all interconnected" angle.  In the mcu,   he's basically been reserved for the "big event" movies - Civil War and Infinity War/Endgame.   It may suit Disney and Sony to do their own thing for a few years, then work out a deal in time for Spidey to show up for Secret Wars or Secret Invasion or whatever big crossover event mcu is building to next.  Spidey's return to the mcu would certainly generate a lot of hype.

I can definitely understand why people have misgivings about sony but after two successful movies with Holland plus spiderverse and the (at least financial) success of Venom,  can't say they haven't earned a chance at doing a live-action spidey movie on their own again. Hopefully they won't repeat (one of) the mistakes of ASM 2 and try to work too many potential spin-off characters into the next movie. Focus on one movie at a time, Sony.

I think Sony figures that they have had a peek at Marvels blue prints and play book and feel that they have the people onboard who can duplicate the success on their own. And if not, then they will go back to the bargaining table. It all comes down to one thing though. The money. Everybody wants to rule the world. Except me, I just want to watch it, like the Watchers. But I do reserve the right to intervene if need be.

4 minutes ago, mako said:

Jay edited my original comment and sent me a PM resorting to petty name calling AGAIN.

What can I say, he's a Mod.

Well, the rules were clear, I'm sure he had his reasons. Now I'm curious what was edited. That comment is nothing new from you, and this one is just asking for a stronger reprimand, but you do you.

On subject:
I think it's a bummer, I'm sure Sony has it's reasons behind wanting to keep making money with Spider-Man but I just can't be excited for anything other than their animated SpiderVerse. I hated Venom beyond reason, didn't like ASM2, and SM3 makes me physically ill. I can't really explain how that works.

I hope this ends up a good move for everybody, and we get the entertainment we deserve.

7 hours ago, cjflan32 said:

I love how you guys are just desperate to take any and all potshots at Sony. Here's a few things you seem to have forgotten: Venom didn't bomb. Into the Spider-Verse didn't bomb. If a movie doesn't clear $1 billion it does not automatically make it a bomb. And if Venom 2 and Morbius bomb (as you clearly hope they do) Sony will double down and try again. And again. And again.

I want to see Morbius bomb, not because of Sony, but because of Jared Leto. After watching Suicide Squad, I'd rather dry hump a cactus than watch him ever act again. Slipknot was more tolerable and he only seemed to exist to show what the detonators do if the team decided to not follow orders.

1 hour ago, BludChylde said:

I want to see Morbius bomb, not because of Sony, but because of Jared Leto. After watching Suicide Squad, I'd rather dry hump a cactus than watch him ever act again. Slipknot was more tolerable and he only seemed to exist to show what the detonators do if the team decided to not follow orders.

I think that's a bit unfair to Leto, he's got a good amount of great performances. His performance on SS wasn't that terrible IMO, the thing is the movie is TERRIBLE in almost every aspect. I mean, watch and wish whatever you prefer... I'm not a fan of the character and just wish they make entertaining films.

7 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

I mean, tbh there aren't a lot of upcoming mcu movies where spidey would obviously fit it as a supporting player. I don't see Peter hanging out in space or Wakanda or with the Eternals.  Wouldn't mind seeing Spidey team up with Doc Strange but they've already got Scarlet Witch to cover the "its all interconnected" angle.  In the mcu,   he's basically been reserved for the "big event" movies - Civil War and Infinity War/Endgame.   It may suit Disney and Sony to do their own thing for a few years, then work out a deal in time for Spidey to show up for Secret Wars or Secret Invasion or whatever big crossover event mcu is building to next.  Spidey's return to the mcu would certainly generate a lot of hype.

I can definitely understand why people have misgivings about sony but after two successful movies with Holland plus spiderverse and the (at least financial) success of Venom,  can't say they haven't earned a chance at doing a live-action spidey movie on their own again. Hopefully they won't repeat (one of) the mistakes of ASM 2 and try to work too many potential spin-off characters into the next movie. Focus on one movie at a time, Sony.

I honestly can't entertain any argument saying Marvel would be better off not actually owning the movie rights to one of it's own characters. It just sounds crazy at base level, but that's just my opinion. He's the "guy" in Marvel, he's their Michael Jordan. He IS Marvel. There's a place for him. Given the lack of Main characters the MCU will have with the departure of Cap America and Iron Man and eventually Thor it woulda been good to have Spidey in the wings to join the Avengers. Keep in mind Marvel now also has full rights to Wolverine and Daredevil (and Iron Fist) and Ghost Rider, all who also joined the Avengers to create a huge Mega-Band. Believe me, as much as they want it to happen, Cap Marvel, Lady Thor, and Black Panther are NOT gonna be able to do the job. It's not a sexist or racist or any other "ist" thing that people are gonna automatically elude to. It's more of an "this idea sucked from the start, and none of these characters were even able to carry their own comics for any significant amount of time" thing. They will do okay, they will not flop, they will be profitable, the PC critics will dote on it and give it amazing reviews, they will all get sequels and trilogies and merch and be pushed and hyped and inflated, but they will not have the "POP" of the last 10 years of the MCU did. Ultimately, the Almighty Disney has enough clout to fudge the numbers to meet whatever outcome they see fit, but the real fans, well they will know. They will judge with their own eyes and will know the truth. Marvel and the Avengers is better with Spider-Man and Spider-Man is better with Marvel. This situation really does suck.

That being said, I can understand Sony's stance. They paid damn good money for the movie rights and Marvel was all too happy to sell them at the time cuz they were on the verge of bankruptcy and they sure as hell weren't doing anything with any kind of cinematic plan. For Marvel, now having Disney's bottomless pockets as their muscle, to come back now and basically make more overall profit (they still own the actual character's merchandising rights) from a property fairly purchased by Sony just isn't right. A 50/50 deal woulda not only been a deal breaker, but it absolutely must have been a bare naked insult to Sony. I think Sony does fully intend to take it as a personal challenge to have continued success relative to what they had while working with Marvel, but I think it will be futile effort at best. Venom was not a bad movie, buuuut It was by no means a good movie, at least by MCU standards. I just don't think the Venomverse has the expansive characters to be able to achieve MCU type success. No characters who typically show up in Spider-Man comics are available. No Daredevil, no Punisher, no Blade, no Heroes for Hire. Sure, they're gonna try and turn guys like Morbius and Prowler and Black Cat into pivotal characters, but I don't think it'll fly. Honestly, I think Sony's best bet for a future without the MCU lies in the animated field, as Into the Spider-Verse was actually a very good movie and it would seem that Disney would have no rights to profits from those movies as it doesn't take place in the MCU. Then again, maybe that's part of the overall problem.

All said and done, though I can see where they were coming from, I think it was a very ignorant decision by Sony and very unfortunate for us as fans. The silver lining, I guess, is that Marvel did manage to get the rights to X-Men and FF and that should be enough for now.

I'm almost sure one of the issues was Sony asking for another movie, Marvel saying "sure, we'll get around to it" and Sony said "NOW" and Marvel said "you want us to change the plan we've set in motion so that you get more Spidey movies sooner? Sure, pay up."

This would explain why there aren't many earthly movies coming up that could have Spidey pop up in, after the success of Far From Home, and the sudden break up of the collaboration.

4 hours ago, mako said:

Jay edited my original comment and sent me a PM resorting to petty name calling AGAIN.

What can I say, he's a Mod.

Lol, c'mon. It's probably only because you don't subscribe to the same exact opinion, in the same exact way that he does and/or your comments stood a fair chance of offending (i.e. disagreeing with) all those that do. What's the problem? Why you being so sensitive?

Been there, done that.

2 hours ago, memocromatico said:

I think that's a bit unfair to Leto, he's got a good amount of great performances. His performance on SS wasn't that terrible IMO, the thing is the movie is TERRIBLE in almost every aspect. I mean, watch and wish whatever you prefer... I'm not a fan of the character and just wish they make entertaining films.

I agree that the movie is terrible in almost every aspect. I disagree on Leto, because he was one of the worst things about the movie. And everything wrong with him boils down to his acting and that aggravatingly annoying laugh, couldn't care less for the "OMG tha fanbois don't like it cuz they don't think it's not a canon look" reasons people normally harp on about.

The MCU without Spidey sucks, but it's not the end of the world. The franchise was going 8 years before him, it'll probably continue without him just fine. 

The bigger problem is on Sony's end. Spider-Verse was great (probably the 2nd best Spider-Man movie) but hopefully they don't try to rush into a whole franchise with the next live-action Spider-Man. They made that mistake with Amazing Spider-Man 2 and WB did with Batman v. Superman. 

4 hours ago, memocromatico said:

I'm almost sure one of the issues was Sony asking for another movie, Marvel saying "sure, we'll get around to it" and Sony said "NOW" and Marvel said "you want us to change the plan we've set in motion so that you get more Spidey movies sooner? Sure, pay up."

This would explain why there aren't many earthly movies coming up that could have Spidey pop up in, after the success of Far From Home, and the sudden break up of they collaboration.

Good point, but that even highlights the reason he's needed in the MCU. While everyone else is off galavanting in space he could be the guy (hand picked by Stark) to hold the fort down on ground level. On Earth he could be bringing characters like DD, Ghost Rider and the X-Men into the fold. Much like Stark he coulda continued to tie the MCU together even far after his own 3 movie arch was over. He wouldn't actually have to have another movie to keep progressing through the MCU, he could just have marked appearances in other movies as Iron Man did. Try and tell me Marvel wasn't salivating at the prospect of doing the whole Bag Man bit with the FF.

Maybe that was the issue. Maybe Sony was unwilling to sign Holland over to Disney for a multi picture deal only for them not to profit from half of them. That kinda makes sense.

2 hours ago, BludChylde said:

I agree that the movie is terrible in almost every aspect. I disagree on Leto, because he was one of the worst things about the movie. And everything wrong with him boils down to his acting and that aggravatingly annoying laugh, couldn't care less for the "OMG tha fanbois don't like it cuz they don't think it's not a canon look" reasons people normally harp on about.

joker was the thing I disliked most about that movie for sure, but I have so many complaints it feels like im not even putting the blame on him

on the subject of Spider-Man, it honestly doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, I really like Holland in the role and I loved vulture and mysterio but honestly both spidey movies are bottom tier MCU movies for me (yea I know that's a crazy statement for most MCU fans :p) . so I hope sony getting all the control will be for the best.i guess time will tell

there are plenty of spider villians and characters to where he doesn't need to borrow any from other marvel heros, if anything im let down that other marvel heros wont get to share spidey's villains

I think what I most bummed out about is no Spider-Man/daredevil team up, but who knows if that  would have ever happened regardless

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah ok, here’s a potshot, Sony is I don’t know what they are thinking this is by far the stupidest thing they have done, I hate the Toby McGuire Spider-Man horrible movies, venom I liked, but they spent the past 5 years bringing and writing him into the mcu and now it’s done, I’m done with it,  if he’s not part of mcu he’s not really important not, come on Stark was his mentor Sony has had the biggest mistake they are gonna lose a lot of fans and money get your fucking heads out of your asses. We don’t need another Spider-Man movie for a while what is the hurry he’s not that great

No team ups with any of the heroes that live in New York, like any of the defenders, it’s was just a stupid move, they could have done a Disney show with team ups with daredevil or Jessica Jones or anything I’m so upset.  The only thing they have that would be kinda cool is venom and Spider-Man. But being part of the mcu is much greater.  Sony you suck everything you sell is over priced #$##. You have failed