Hulu Turns Down 'Marvel's Ghost Rider' Live-Action Series

Outsiders

Deadline has confirmed that Hulu has decided not to proceed with Marvel's Ghost Rider, its planned live-action series starring Gabriel Luna.

In May, Hulu picked up two new live-action series from Disney sibling Marvel Television, Ghost Rider and Helstrom, to premiere in 2020.  It would appear that Hulu and the Ghost Rider team had reached a creative impasse which could not be resolved, leading to the streamer’s decision not to move forward with the series.  Marvel’s Helstrom is still on track.

Stephen Lightfoot serves as showrunner and executive producer with Paul Zbyszewski and Marvel TV’s Jeph Loeb for Marvel’s Ghost Rider.  It is unclear whether the series will be shopped elsewhere.

Luna played the antihero Ghost Rider when the character also known as Robbie Reyes was brought back to the Marvel Universe in 2016 on ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  Ghost Rider is consumed by hellfire and supernaturally bound to a demon. Reyes lives on the Texas-Mexico border and when he unleashes the Rider, Robbie brings vengeance for the innocents he encounters, but struggles to control the power he wields.

Gabriel_Luna_Ghost_Rider.jpg

This seems like an odd thing to occur , why pass on Ghost Rider (whom was already established in the popular Shield series) but then go ahead with Helstrom whom nobody knows? , I mean I'm stoked hear about that Helstrom series because that would mean some cool things potentially and I mean I don't really care about Robbie Reyes GR, rather Blaze or Ketch but still seems weird

7 hours ago, JbombTheGreat said:

Finally, some good news today. This version of Ghost Rider was the reason I stopped watching Agents of Shield altogether. I went from having seen every episode of the show up to that point, to not watching a single episode more once this wannabe showed up. Wake me when a real Ghost Rider makes an appearance.

You know he only appeared in one season, right? (and was largely absent for the 2nd half of that season).   and there have been two more seasons since then without any GR appearances. Just sayin.

Haven't watched AoS, but heard it was good and Ghost Rider had kind of fan base. It's a shame the show wasn't taken, but I guess it could open the possibility of seen Ghost Rider in the MCU movies. I mean, now that they're going cosmic maybe introduce Cosmic Ghost Rider? Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens next with this character

I'm actually a bit relieved by this. There's so much coming out right now, I can't keep up with every new show or season. I have a huge backlog of movies, shows, games... and not only Marvel, everything. It's a great time to be alive and be able to choose, but there's really too much already.

12 hours ago, JbombTheGreat said:

Finally, some good news today. This version of Ghost Rider was the reason I stopped watching Agents of Shield altogether. I went from having seen every episode of the show up to that point, to not watching a single episode more once this wannabe showed up. Wake me when a real Ghost Rider makes an appearance.

Agree, but not for the same reasons...this show has almost nothing to do with SHIELD, its got way too much emphasis on Skye Daisy or whatever her name is this week, and its feeble attempts to tell us they really are in the Marvel universe by using actors who don't remotely resemble the characters they're supposed to be (Blizzard, Graviton, Whiplash, not to mention that ridiculous costume for Deathlok), just fall flat. What on earth does Ghost Rider have to do with a premiere spy agency like SHIELD anyway?

8 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Skye Daisy or whatever her name is this week,

Hasn't changed since season 2, justified perfectly with the narrative of the story. Didn't like it either, but I don't feel like it's something that can still be complained about 5 years later. 

10 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

What on earth does Ghost Rider have to do with a premiere spy agency like SHIELD anyway?

You can watch the show and find out, it kinda makes sense... at least more sense than when they go to space, but that's another subject completely.

1 hour ago, memocromatico said:

Hasn't changed since season 2, justified perfectly with the narrative of the story. Didn't like it either, but I don't feel like it's something that can still be complained about 5 years later. 

You can watch the show and find out, it kinda makes sense... at least more sense than when they go to space, but that's another subject completely.

Yes, youre right,  the space story was just another feeble attempt to keep the series going by latching onto the Guardians of the Galaxy, which was hot at the time. All along though, theyre doing this as SHIELD even though its been basically dismantled.

48 minutes ago, mako said:

Have you ever watched an episode of either NCIS series? They do crap that a Federal agency would/could/should never be able to do on a weekly basis.

At least SHIELD is a spy agency in a comic book universe. You'd be surprised what floats into their wheel-house.

Assuming you're not one of those guys who would rather rag on it just to rag on it, you should give it a shot. They've kinda strayed over the last two or so season, but its still mostly a great show.

Never seen NCIS but Im sure they're doing things they shouldn't be doing (just like the ridiculous Blindshot show). Yep, I have given it (AOS) a shot, and I think they would've been far better centering the show around May and Coulson. At least they give you a sense of  "SHIELD" as an organization.  But I cant call it a great show because they've deviated so much from what SHIELD should be. When it first came out I knew I would have to put my Marvel Comics version aside, as its based on the MCU agency. But this show hasn't even been that. And its a shame because I really think it could've had potential.

At any rate, the Ghost Rider-car thing just never felt right to me. Can a Ghost Rider show ever come to a Hulu or Netflix? Sure, but at least make it the original motorcycle version first.

9 minutes ago, mako said:

Yeah, that does tend to be one of the shows few weaknesses. They follow what's happening in whatever movie current. GOTG was in theaters, they went into space; Doctor Strange came out, they went all mystical. Most of the time it worked, but occasionally . . .

Agents of SHIELD the b######d child of the MCU. 

12 hours ago, mako said:

Keep in mind, the car came from the comics, not from the show. As for why they used it? I'm sure it was cheaper to trick out a car with some CGI flames than fabricate a big ole' custom Hell-Cycle in a machine shop, to say nothing of stunts being easier to pull off with a car.

I know it came from the comics, and also that  Johnny Blaze isn't the first or only person to carry that mantle. But I'd think the cycle would be cheaper than the car; its more versatile and would be able to out-stunt a charger any day. But its all moot....for now, anyway.

3 hours ago, Atlantis said:

I know it came from the comics, and also that  Johnny Blaze isn't the first or only person to carry that mantle. But I'd think the cycle would be cheaper than the car; its more versatile and would be able to out-stunt a charger any day. But its all moot....for now, anyway.

Keep in mind that the Ghost Rider is largely unseen when he's behind the wheel of the car so that saves a lot of CGI.  That was part of the rationale for using a car on AoS, from what i've read. But yeah, its all moot anyhow.