Magneto Undertakes A New Mission In Hickman And Oliver's Giant-Size X-Men

JayC

When Giant-Size X-Men hits stands next year, X-Men fans will get to see Jonathan Hickman’s bold vision for mutantkind unfold in epic adventures told by the industry’s most acclaimed artists. These large-scale but standalone stories will be specifically designed to highlight the artist’s talents, and each issue will focus on a specific character. This March, Hickman will team up with legendary artist Ben Oliver to turn the spotlight on the master of magnetism, Magneto!

Created by Stan Lee himself, Magneto’s been a fixture in the X-Men mythos since the very beginning. Although he debuted in 1963's X-MEN #1 as the X-Men’s premiere super villain, he eventually became one of their fiercest members. Under Chris Claremont’s pen, Magneto was equipped with a tragic backstory, shedding light on his motivations and developing him into one of the most complex characters in the Marvel Universe. An unrelenting champion for mutantkind, Magneto once again finds himself leading a mutant nation, but this time, he has all of mutantkind including the X-Men standing at his side. Determined to make this new dream of Krakoa prosper, Magneto must now make dealings with his former sworn enemy— humanity!

Ben Oliver, known for his seminal work on ULTIMATE X-MEN, is the perfect artist to capture the emotion behind Magneto’s new role as mutant ambassador. “It's been many years since I last worked on an X-Men related project, and I couldn't be happier than to be working with Jonathan,” Oliver said. “I've long been a fan of Jonathan's work, and Magneto as a character, so to collaborate on this project is fantastic.”

GIANT-SIZE X-MEN: MAGNETO will be the second of five essential one-shots with the first, GIANT-SIZE X-MEN: JEAN GREY AND EMMA FROST debuting in February. Uniting Jonathan Hickman with the best artists in the industry, these stories are destined to be instant classics that fans won’t want to miss! Stay tuned for upcoming announcements about more GIANT-SIZE X-MEN issues coming your way next year and which of your favorite artists will be showcased next!

GIANT-SIZE X-MEN: MAGNETO #1
Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN
Art by BEN OLIVER

Magneto-2020-01.jpg

11 minutes ago, mako said:

Maybe I'm reading to much into this, but is even Marvel getting bored with these "BOLD NEW DIRECTION!!!" press releases? It just seems like they're repeating themselves more and more with the standard hype words and going into as little detail as possible plot-wise. Either there's a very bored intern churning these out, or there's a Mad-Libs-esque fill in the blank Press Release form floating around the Bullpen.

"Coming this  (Place Date Here) ,  (Character Name Here begins a  (Motivating Descriptive Here)  new era!"

It tells you it won't be a bold new direction at all

Yes this is just same old Marvel propaganda. They destroyed the comics for me years ago. I’ve collected Marvel since the early 80’s but had to pass on the ridiculous hype over the last 5-7 years. I love that they pump out great movies but I guess it’s like the old saying, “Careful what you wish for” because the comic side of their business has suffered ever since. They has continually destroyed amazing work of past writers year after year. Superb villains have become ridiculous hero’s great back stories have been butchered by new writers who obviously don’t even research the history. Maybe back issues are hard to come by.  Perhaps it’s the result of the new writers not having any kind of an imagination due to being raised in front of a television.  Maybe I’m just getting old and bitter. Maybe one day they can reinvent the universe back to a week before the original Onslaught and stop the first cataclysmic event from starting the avalanche of overpriced grade three story telling.  I’m not saying everything was garbage after that but a good 90% was. 

3 hours ago, mako said:

Maybe I'm reading to much into this, but is even Marvel getting bored with these "BOLD NEW DIRECTION!!!" press releases? It just seems like they're repeating themselves more and more with the standard hype words and going into as little detail as possible plot-wise. Either there's a very bored intern churning these out, or there's a Mad-Libs-esque fill in the blank Press Release form floating around the Bullpen.

"Coming this  (Place Date Here) ,  (Character Name Here begins a  (Motivating Descriptive Here)  new era!"

Yes you're reading too much into this. Too bad you can't say you read too much comics as well.

1 hour ago, Ithadar said:

Yes this is just same old Marvel propaganda. They destroyed the comics for me years ago. I’ve collected Marvel since the early 80’s but had to pass on the ridiculous hype over the last 5-7 years. I love that they pump out great movies but I guess it’s like the old saying, “Careful what you wish for” because the comic side of their business has suffered ever since. They has continually destroyed amazing work of past writers year after year. Superb villains have become ridiculous hero’s great back stories have been butchered by new writers who obviously don’t even research the history. Maybe back issues are hard to come by.  Perhaps it’s the result of the new writers not having any kind of an imagination due to being raised in front of a television.  Maybe I’m just getting old and bitter. Maybe one day they can reinvent the universe back to a week before the original Onslaught and stop the first cataclysmic event from starting the avalanche of overpriced grade three story telling.  I’m not saying everything was garbage after that but a good 90% was. 

You are going on a bit of a tangential rant and blaming TV for things. If you want a honest opinion, you are sounding old and bitter.

Marvel went through a few bumpy years after Secret Wars, but things have really taken off ever since C.B. Cebulski took over from Alex Alonso. This Dawn of X revamp, for instance, has been one of the most revitalising things to happen to the X-Men since New X-Men. And there have been other great books that came because of this change in the line of command. Al Ewing's Immortal Hulk, Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man, and Donny Cates' Venom, to name a few. The most average of books nowadays are still fun reads too. Even the last few bumpy years that I mentioned had some fantastic series. I also have to hit a hard disagree on the "90% garbage" thing.

Yeah, I don't disagree that Marvel overdoes the "bold new era" bit, but Dawn of X really is a bold new era for the X-Men. And the stories so far have been really, really good. I'm nervous about the direction they're heading and its possible implications, but I'm 100% along for the ride until (and if) those fears are realized. The storytelling has been so good so far that I'm cautiously optimistic that I'm actually supposed to be nervous about this, that it's actual intentional suspense-building, but time will tell. If you've ever been a fan of the X-Men you're doing yourself a disservice by sleeping on the current lineup.