Disney+ Docu-Series Marvel 616 Takes A Look At Marvel Legends

JayC

If you subscribe to the Disney+ streaming service and collect Marvel Legends, then you may want to check out episode 6 of the new series Marvel 616 titled "Unboxed". Here is the official synopsis for the episode:

Action figures once dwelled only in toy chests, but today, they are treasured and preserved by collectors of all ages. “Unboxed” muses on the symbiotic relationship between toys and comics, plus the imaginative professionals melding the two. Scouting Hasbro, Funko and New York Toy Fair, actor and director Sarah Ramos (Parenthood) pinpoints artists with infinite passion for Marvel, nostalgia, and play.

During the episode they take a tour of Hasbro and talk with the Marvel Legends brand team. If you have ever watched any of the Hasbro Marvel live-stream videos then you will probably see some familiar faces.

616-01.jpg

616-02.jpg

616-03.jpg

616-04.jpg

616-05.jpg

616-06.jpg

616-07.jpg

616-08.jpg

616-09.jpg

616-10.jpg

616-00__scaled_600.jpg

Ohhh......uhhh......wow! Really hit it outta the park this time Disney. I love toys life as much as the next guy, but I guarantee I and 90 percent of real toy heads already know 10 times the amount of info that's gonna be allowed in this show. This'll be one of those feel good "worked their way to the top" milk toast Disney pieces that conveniently leave a lot of the dirty secrets on the cutting room floor. There will be nothing about Toybiz pushing the industry by its superior quality and price standards and making companies like Hasbro up its game. There will be nothing about Toybiz saving Marvel from the brink of destruction only to get stabbed in the back by insiders who sold out to bigger companies. There'll be nothing about the bigger companies ganging up on TB to sue them into complete oblivion so they'd have to release the Marvel brand, and more importantly, stop innovation at a reasonable price. There will be nothing about designers and artists whose ideas were stolen and copied and used and not being credited for it, with some ultimately being pushed out of the business altogether. Nope, no thanks. If I wanted this watered down success story Disney's bound to try and sell us I can save some time and money by simply looking the garbage up on Wikipedia. The ONLY thing that could make me pass on this steaming heap any faster is if they cast the Goddess Above ALL, Brie in a starring role.

Decent episode I guess, although probably more interesting to folks who don’t know much about marvel legends. My favorite part was probably the profile of Mitchell Wu, since I always enjoy his toy photography. I think the episode might have benefited from looking at things less from the designers point of view and more from that of ML collectors - for example, talking with some ahead of Toyfair and then seeing how excited they were by some of the reveals, profiling more toy photographers like some of the ones Jay features here, or collectors with awesome displays etc. but that’s just my opinion,

the cosplay episode also looks good. I’ll probably check out a couple of the others as well, but some if the episodes didn’t really seem that appealing to me personally (which is fine)

It was fluffy, it wasn't very in depth, not very fleshed out, it had a very outsider looking in appeal vibe, It was also really short, episode was about 33 minutes, so it didn't go into any major details, if you already post on this website like everyday I'm sure this show isn't going to reveal anything you didn't know, it was a nice lil fluff piece, still fun to look at while I ate a piece of pizza and walked away.

LOL, so I finally got a chance to watch this. If you watch carefully I turn up in it 2 maybe 3 times. The first time is when they pan the crowd watching the Hasbro Toy Fair presentation, i'm one of the people closest to the camera wearing a black and red baseball cap. The second time is when they show me taking photos of the Marvel Legends in the Hasbro showroom at Toy Fair. The dude taking pics with the red cell phone (they got a really good shot of the cell phone but you see my face for a second) is me. I think there may have been one other time where they showed me and my cell phone taking pics

Super bizarre editing, and I guess direction, too. JoAnn McLaughlin says that Toybiz wanted to make figures to "scale and form, different heights, different body shapes," and they show the '94 Super Poseable Spider-Man and then focus on the Spider-Man Classics Man-Spider (so far so good).  Then Ann Jespersen talks about "different mechanisms in movement that really weren't that big of a thing before," while the Spider-Man Classics Rhino is shown (right on), then they go back to the old Spider-Man figure again (huh?) while Dave Vonner is talking about how new production methods allowed for new movement, and then you hear Jesse Falcon say, "he's so flexible, he can do yoga," and they show the '94 Spiderman in some yoga poses (ummm).  Then Dave Vonner talks about adding finger articulation and for some reason they show the commercial for that '94 Spider-Man again, even though it doesn't have finger articulation (what?).  Jesse says it was a "runaway success" and that he and JoAnn wanted to open that up to the entire Marvel Universe, "and it was her idea to call it Marvel Legends," and then the doc shows clips from a couple commercials for the '90s 5" Toybiz figures (thud).  Shouldn't the director of a documentary have some familiarity with the subject matter? Or did they go ever her head and the editor and producer (who said "Earth 616 is our universe") #&@$ed that up?