Russell Crowe Signs On For Thor: Love And Thunder And Jeff Goldblum Spotted On Set

JayC

It is being reported by Deadline that actor Russell Crowe has singed on for an undisclosed role in the upcoming Taika Waititi directed Thor: Love And Thunder movie. More than likely Crowe's role will only be a minor cameo one, possibly in keeping with scenes that will also feature the likes of Matt Damon. Damon is reprising the role we saw him have in the previous Thor movie.

Thor: Love And Thunder is set to open in theaters on May 6, 2022 and will star Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman and Christian Bale who is playing the main villain in this one.

There have also been reports of actor Jeff Goldblum being spotted on the set of the new movie, likely reprising his role as Grandmaster as seen in Thor: Ragnarok.

Russell-Crowe.jpg

I too believe that he'll have a minor cameo, but it'd be really interesting to see who he plays if it's not. Also Jeff Goldblum on the set is good news, eventhough I would in general like a bit of a more serious tone for this one and since Goldblum was one of the key comedy elements in Ragnarok this most likely means the tone will remain the same. But I guess the asgardian theater that was spotted on set, as well as Mat Damon and Luke Hemsworth returning for this one already gave that away. 

PS. I'm not saying that Ragnarok was a silly comedy that served just for laughs. I think it was a great movie and one of the best of the MCU, Taika did a very good job and I'm a big fan of that one. He managed to balance comedy and emotional moments in a positive way and I'm expecting the same thing for the next one. I would just like it even more if it is a bit more serious this time around and takes a small step towards that direction.

Lots of options for Russell Crowe. I could totally see him playing another Elder of the Universe. I could see him perhaps playing a younger Odin. Considering this movie involves Gorr, it could even be a God of some sort that he kills. 

3 minutes ago, michiganjfrog said:

i feel like this could be a cameo like Matt Damons, Maybe crowe plays thanos in another asgard play 😜

Given there is another play with Melissa McCarthy as "Hela", I was thinking Crowe might be in that, maybe as Surtur or Skurge

Well, I don't think they actually sign them to a contract for those small type cameos. I'm sure some kind of formal agreement has to be reached for the protection of the actor and the project, but officially, Matt Damon's cameo in Ragnarok is considered "uncredited" which more or less means they did it for free or some ridiculous compensation like a Chik-fil-a sandwich. If you have time look up some of the weird payments actors have received for bit rolls. It's actually quite funny.

Anyway, I'm thinking it's a bit more substantial, but maybe not major. I'm thinking anywhere between the actual Donald Blake to Mister Hyde. Given that Jane receives her powers through magical means, maybe there's a plot in there where another character such as Wrecker also receives powers through misplaced magical means. Then again, would it be out of the question that he could just be the voice actor for Beta Ray Bill? I could see them giving him that sort of voice. And with an inexplicable Australian accent to boot.

Russell Crowe, Oh I bet hes an actor in one of the play scenes, have you seen ol' Russel these days? he's pretty damn huge, go watch Unhinged, he's a hefty man, too bad Volstagg is dead because he'd be a great for him.

spacer.png

I don't know what super hero he'd be playing 😞

45 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Russell Crowe, Oh I bet hes an actor in one of the play scenes, have you seen ol' Russel these days? he's pretty damn huge, go watch Unhinged, he's a hefty man, too bad Volstagg is dead because he'd be a great for him.

spacer.png

I don't know what super hero he'd be playing 😞

Since it's a bit late in the game anyway, maybe he is just voicing a character like Beta Ray Bill like RyanDaly and monron999 said or maybe Throg.

• 3 weeks later...

Last month we brought you word that actor Russell Crowe was going to have some kind of role in the upcoming Thor: Love And Thunder movie. At the time it was not known what character he would be playing. Well now it looks like the actor himself may have let the cat out of the bag. In a recent interview with Breakfast With The Murphys the actor states that he will be playing the Olympian God Zeus.

“I’m gonna get on my bicycle. I’m gonna ride up to Disney Fox Studios, and around about 9:15 I shall be Zeus!”

He apparently has mentioned being Zeus a few other places as well. This of course has not been confirmed by the studio so it's unclear if what Crowe is telling people is in fact true or if he is just messing with folks as a mis-direct.

In the comics, Zeus and the Olympians are very much a part of the Marvel Universe. Zeus' son Hercules from time to time like Thor has been a member of the Avengers. Ares has also appeared multiple times in the comics and been an enemy of the Avengers as well. Thor and Hercules have on multiple occasions been allies and fought each other.

So if Zeus in fact will be in the new Thor movie, the next logical question most I think will have is how long until we see Hercules, and is a Hercules vs Thor stand-off in the cards???

Given who the villain is (Gorr the God-Butcher) I'm not going to be surprised if Zeus is a one-minute cameo that gets killed to establish the bad guy bonafides.  But they MIGHT hint at Herc (maybe a post-credits).

My only issue with Hercules in the MCU is that they've already pretty much turned Thor into Hercules in the MCU (not entirely, of course, but in terms of a more lighthearted character and "loveable buffoon" status).

To be clear, that's not entirely a complaint (A LITTLE bit of a complaint, but not much).  It plays to Hemsworth's strengths as an actor (He's got pretty great comic timing), but it does feel like it makes certain other characters harder to introduce (Hercules being foremost among them.  Balder being another prominent example, even if I'd giggle if they cast Liam Hemsworth in that role).