Marvel Legends 6" Guardsman Figure Video Review And Images

JayC

Man, seeing Guardsman just takes me back to 70s Iron Man, and foes like the Mandarin, Firebrand, Dr. Spectrum, Whiplash, not to mention the appearance of Madam Masque & Drax the Destroyer. Tuska art wasn't my fave but I sure loved that era. 

Now the Guardsman figure is very well done...wish they hadnt just painted on the gloves though. Looks cheap and silly. But at least he's got a paint job that looks like metal armor should!! Hope they use that dark green metallic for Titanium Man.

On 6/27/2021 at 9:25 PM, Air-Walker said:

Love the paint job, but I'm a little disappointed with the helmet. It should be more of a bucket than a form-fitting mask with a frame over it. I'll find a way to customize it more to my liking, but I'm really happy he came with fists!

Maybe in the 70s they had bucket heads, but since the 80s, they have had more normal rounded heads, which IMO, look way better.

qcJQOzN.jpgNcQY7cy.jpgRJTQWUB.jpg

On 6/27/2021 at 10:25 PM, MODADDYDODOK said:

Another one that could've looked cooler if he weren't all metallic.

See the source image

This is a great custom by the very talented Jin Saotome, I actually like his color scheme as it's more comic accurate.

I just utilized some extra IM palm blasters for a couple of my Guardsmen.

eCrWutz.jpg

On 6/28/2021 at 5:33 PM, McHogan said:

Ordered two off Amazon, won’t make “I’ll find  the Hand Ninja in stores “ mistake again..

always room for classic versions so very awesome, can’t wait to get them

Hopefully, Hasbro adds both HAND Ninja & Guardsmen to their army builder list later this yr or early next. I'm hoping they offer the HFC mercs again as I want another 5 to have a nice squad of 10.

On 6/28/2021 at 6:43 PM, Gigantor said:

Hopefully, Hasbro adds both HAND Ninja & Guardsmen to their army builder list later this yr or early next. I'm hoping they offer the HFC mercs again as I want another 5 to have a nice squad of 10.

Are the Army builders that Hasbro has released through Pulse so far straight re-release or do they alter the paint apps? 

I own AIM and Hydra soldiers but bought them all from stores. I did grab HC soldiers but obviously they were only released through Pulse so I wasn’t sure if Army builders are the same as store bought figures? Be bummed to get two Guardsmen in stores then look to grab more from Pulse then not have them match on my shelf

On 6/28/2021 at 7:09 PM, McHogan said:

Are the Army builders that Hasbro has released through Pulse so far straight re-release or do they alter the paint apps? 

I own AIM and Hydra soldiers but bought them all from stores. I did grab HC soldiers but obviously they were only released through Pulse so I wasn’t sure if Army builders are the same as store bought figures? Be bummed to get two Guardsmen in stores then look to grab more from Pulse then not have them match on my shelf

I don't believe they made any changes to the AIM, Hydra figures that they released via Pulse asides from maybe giving them extra or additional weapons.

The single-carded A.l.M. trooper had a silver visor on its helmet and yellow gloves. Also, the weapons were multi-colored. The figure was repainted with black visor and black gloves for the 2-pack. The Pulse exclusive army builder is the 2-pac version with black visor and gloves, except the pistol, rifle, and ammo bandolier are all painted black.

I like this figure. It's not too complicated, not too obscure, it's just somewhere right in the middle. I don't plan to use it as an army builder. I'm not too interested in amassing a Vault inspired collection. I'll us him as the original Guardsman as a lone Iron Man villain. I do wish they had included a 2nd head sculpt to add some distinction between the original and the Guardsmen, but that's small details.

As far as the mystery for the pistol. According to some people on FB, there was a very short, fleeting period of time after the first Iron Wars where the guards were merely wearing a Kevlar type armor suit and carrying pistols in holsters. Some people seem to remember, but no one's been able to locate a panel or even a picture of a panel. Either way, it seems that they remember them looking a lot more swat team-ish rather than the Guardsmen armor with a pistol. Who knows. If that's the case then someone from the ML team obviously remembers. I was hoping one of them would be shedding some light on that. Another option is that they simply decided to include just a tad bit more in the accessories department on this figure. If that's the case then let's do a hell a lot more of that. Seriously, if you wanna just include random weapons in figures that don't particularly pertain to that character, a few extra weapons to spread around to other characters is all good. There are plenty of figures they could have employed this strategy on in the past.

On 6/29/2021 at 12:09 PM, leokearon said:

Did a bit of digging and managed to discover an issue with the Guardsmen with guns. From Avengers Annual #15

deme4dr-2ed0da2e-a271-45a8-b60b-e7024fb8

And “cheeky” bottoms apparently haha.. who knew being Guardsman was such sexy work 

On 6/28/2021 at 10:33 PM, RyanDaly said:

The single-carded A.l.M. trooper had a silver visor on its helmet and yellow glasses. Also, the weapons were multi-colored. The figure was repainted with black visor and black gloves for the 2-pack. The Pulse exclusive army builder is the 2-pac version with black visor and gloves, except the pistol, rifle, and ammo bandolier are all painted black.

Damn.. just damn fine research 

On 6/29/2021 at 2:09 AM, leokearon said:

I don't mind my army builders to be somewhat different (in fact I love making them different), it takes the sting out of buying multiples of the same figure

But that defeats the purpose of "Army" building.  A cohesive unit is in the same uniform so as to not differentiate between members, there is no individualism in a team/unit/squad or Army.  If you want different looking characters that are otherwise wearing the same exact armor/uniform, then yeah, you're best off just sticking with 1 Guardsman & getting a redhead human Headsculpt to pass as Kevin O'Brien.