Scarlett Johansson And Disney Settle 'Black Widow' Lawsuit

Outsiders

Terms are not being disclosed but the lawsuit between Scarlett Johansson and Disney over the 'Black Widow' release has reached a settlement.

Johansson had accused Disney of doing a traditional theatrical release for 'Black Widow,' in favor of a simultaneous release on Disney Plus.  Johansson argued that the streaming release cannibalized the theatrical gross, and violated her contract.  The suit alleged that Johansson lost out on tens of millions of dollars in box office bonuses.

Disney had fired back, accusing her of displaying “callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.” The studio also disclosed that Johansson had been paid $20 million for her work on the project.

“I am happy to have resolved our differences with Disney,” Johansson said in a statement. “I’m incredibly proud of the work we’ve done together over the years and have greatly enjoyed my creative relationship with the team. I look forward to continuing our collaboration in years to come.”

Alan Bergman, the chairman of Disney Studios Content, said he, too, was pleased to have resolved the dispute.

“I’m very pleased that we have been able to come to a mutual agreement with Scarlett Johansson regarding ‘Black Widow,'” he said in a statement. “We appreciate her contributions to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and look forward to working together on a number of upcoming projects, including Disney’s ‘Tower of Terror.'”

Source: Variety

On 9/30/2021 at 7:53 PM, tarot said:

basically they gave her  some leading roles in up coming movies.

After CANCELLING some of her projects? Doesn't seem likely, unless . . . 

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but little by little, I'm warming toward the rumor that most of the crazy coming out of Disney lately has been smoke and mirrors. Basically, a concerted effort to discredit Bob Chapek.

A law-suit here, leak of an unpopular plotline there, a couple off-color tweets, generally not a good look for the Mouse House's newest Cock of the Walk.

On 9/30/2021 at 10:18 PM, Fyrefly21 said:

Eh, overpaid rich people paying other overpaid rich people. I feel like this was always how this was going to end, though I'm surprised it moved as quickly as it did. 

Ah, "Rich Shaming," the great equalizer. It's kinda heart warming to know that the second hard work and financial diligence earn any one of us our first million, those who haven't made it yet will automatically decide we're scum.

On 9/30/2021 at 7:18 PM, Fyrefly21 said:

"...Eh, overpaid rich people paying other overpaid rich people...."

I don't know how one gauges "overpaid" in this particular example; she put in the work and deserves to be compensated in a manner commensurate with her peers, and whatever arrangements she and her financial team came up with the studio. 

On 10/1/2021 at 10:22 AM, Atlantis said:

I don't know how one gauges "overpaid" in this particular example; she put in the work and deserves to be compensated in a manner commensurate with her peers, and whatever arrangements she and her financial team came up with the studio. 

Cuz $20 million isn't enough to provide for your family when it comes to the Hollywood elite, athletes & politicians. I Know people feeding a family of 5 on $15 an hr. 

On 10/1/2021 at 10:28 AM, Gigantor said:

Cuz $20 million isn't enough to provide for your family when it comes to the Hollywood elite, athletes & politicians. I Know people feeding a family of 5 on $15 an hr. 

What exactly does the amount you're paid have to do with getting paid for the work you do? Would that person you're so proud of for feeding a family on $15 an hour be any less worthy of respect if they suddenly got a 20-30 dollar raise?

On 10/1/2021 at 11:02 AM, mako said:

What exactly does the amount you're paid have to do with getting paid for the work you do? Would that person you're so proud of for feeding a family on $15 an hour be any less worthy of respect if they suddenly got a 20-30 dollar raise?

I have no idea how you misconstrued my comment. Maybe someone else can break it down for you Barney style.

Anyway, wasn't anything wrong with the movie for the most part. It was the hype train that was built up and then suddenly had to stop. When it got back on track it felt almost stale so in order to build it up again some genius decided ScarJo should start pushing the girl power angle and it just blew up in their face. I promise, if it had been clear that "Taskmaster" was a woman from the jump mostly no one woulda cared as long as it made sense and it didn't take away from the story. But to have a dude, the stunt MAN at that, run around in the suit the entire movie then reveal him/herself (they if you choose) as a female and literally give her the smallest dialog in the entire movie was an absolute momentum killer, and was pretty much degrading to women altogether knowing that they had to have a man do all the heavy lifting only to leave her with nothing to do but take off a mask. And you know what the worst thing is, I would bet an entire years salary (that's a lot of burgers flipped) that that was not how the movie woulda ended if it had released when it was supposed to before the plague. They had so much damn idle time and you know what the Devil does with idle hands. It made zero sense and felt more forced than the girl power scene in Endgame. I know a lot of people that just passed on the movie after that little nugget. The box office numbers pretty much showed that was probably what happened to most of the audience. It opened up to decent numbers and just fell off a cliff almost overnight. Hell, if I had gotten wind of it myself I wouldn't have had the viewing party at my house. I'm a fan of BW and a massive fan of ScarJo, but a bad decision is a bad decision and that BS twist had even M. Night Shyamalan rolling his eyes and moaning in cringe. Disney did it to themselves but they were all too happy to throw ScarJo under the bus and try to make her be the bad guy.

good for her, she deserves this to be done and was 1000% right in her indignation. The new chief of Marvel not only kept throwing this off to the side but even went as far as to character assassinate Scarjo for no reason. Now suddenly they admit they were wrong and she was right. Does not look good on their part at all to be acting like this to one of their top stars for the past 10 years, as this makes new upcoming talent shy away from doing business with marvel studios/ Disney. I hope they change their corporate culture fast.