Marvel's 'Venom: Let There Be Carnage' Takes #1 With Best Domestic Opening At The Box Office

Outsiders

Moviegoers were looking for carnage this weekend and they got it with the release of Marvel's 'Venom' sequel, 'Venom: Let There Be Carnage', and the best domestic opening at the box office with $90.1M; exceeding the debut of Black Widow which was $80.8M.  The Sony/Marvel movie exceeded the original 2018 title’s opening of $80.2M by 12%.

“For us, Venom: Let There Be Carnage absolutely validates our exclusive theatrical window strategy,” exclaimed Sony President, Motion Pictures Group Josh Greenstein, “If you look at the history of theatrical, the obituaries have been written many times and they’ve always been wrong. We had confidence in the theatrical experience, confidence in our big valuable IP, and took full advantage and had the patience to weather all of this. That strategy is paying off which we’re happy about. It’s a nice validation of the theatrical strategy.”

Beamed Tom Rothman, Chairman, and CEO of Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group, “We are so grateful to Tom, Andy, Kell,y and all of the many gifted contributors who made such a unique and fun film. We are also pleased that patience and theatrical exclusivity have been rewarded with record results. With apologies to Mr. Twain: The death of movies has been greatly exaggerated.”

On 10/3/2021 at 8:25 PM, monron999 said:

I think people are seriously expecting too much from fantasy movies these days. If you went into this movie expecting cool fight scenes with some decent special effects and weren't looking for some cheesy deeper meaning it pretty much did that

The problem with these movies from Marvel is they have to dummy the movies down so the general public can watch it, understand it and still enjoy it.  If they made Marvel movies that only fanboys would understand and enjoy then Marvel wouldn't make a huge profit.

I saw this movie tonight and thought it was reasonably good. Not great, but good. Some of the action scenes were pretty intense to the point it was hard to tell what was going on. Sometimes I think as fans we have too high of expectations that could never possibly be met. I give this movie a solid B, but I can still say that I liked both Black Widow and Shang-Chi more. I've still got high hopes for Eternals and Spider-Man: No Way Home to finish out the year.

I wasn’t impressed mainly due to movie absolutely doing very little to establish Cletus as serious menace, we just told he’s serial killer that’s all, movie is awfully short, which makes me think they cut a lot of character development stuff from Cletus which makes Carnage wasted opportunity, it could be due to PG-13 rating but Kinda hard to believe . While I don’t like direction they going with this goodie good (Not) Eddie Brock  and Goofball Venom (which is actually accurate to later comics), Tom Hardy is incredibly likable in the role, and just looking at Venom  in funny situations and with straight man Eddie  is fun or at least doesn’t make me cringe like other Marvel movies make me, so It’s entertaining for sure, visuals were much improved this time, Carnage and Venom looked great in finale but still it could have been so much more. 

On 10/3/2021 at 8:25 PM, monron999 said:

I think people are seriously expecting too much from fantasy movies these days. If you went into this movie expecting cool fight scenes with some decent special effects and weren't looking for some cheesy deeper meaning it pretty much did that

I think the exact opposite is true. Going back to the 70s, many of the movies considered the best ever made were sci-fi/fantasy/genre movies. People came to expect that, and when hacks rolled out low-grade schlock like Star Trek V, Return of Swamp Thing or Superman IV, they announced their displeasure with their pocket books.

Now days, no matter how bad a movie is, whether it be a Woke James Bond or another MCU Wanna-Be Frat Comedy, people flock to it in droves. It defies all logic.

The trouble is, people have let their expectations . . . and standards get to low.

We all cry out for another "A New Hope, Wrath of Khan, or Superman the Movie, but they'll never come as long as we settle for The Big Thorbowski, Star-Lords Dance-Off . . . or homoerotic symbiote romances.

I wasn't surprised that this movie seemed like a goofy mess, but I was sad that it was a goofy mess, I didn't love the first film, but this one makes the first film look pretty damn good, this was full of too much wacky humour and made both Eddie and Venom seem like looney toons characters, Carnage and cletus were a waste, they had no development, Carnage barely seemed like a real threat and same with Shriek, the movie felt super rushed and almost at points like it was written and directed by an algorithm, it felt like this movie was a throw away piece and hardly any love was injected, the end credit scene well... I won't go into detail but...I'm scared.

I really wanted to like this movie, I had a hard time even watching it for the most part.