Shang-Chi And 12 Other MCU Movies Getting IMAX Treatment On Disney+

JayC

Disney+ will release 13 Marvel films on November 12 with what is said to IMAX enhanced features. Basically it will expand the aspect ratio to 1:90:1 which will allow more to be seen on the screen. Besides Shang-Chi, look for Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Captain America: Civil War, Doctor Strange, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, Ant-Man and The Wasp, Captain Marvel, Avengers: Endgame and Black Widow to get this treatment as well.

On 11/8/2021 at 9:31 AM, JayC said:
Disney+ will release 13 Marvel films on November 12 with what is said to IMAX enhanced features. Basically it will expand the aspect ratio to 1:90:1 which will allow more to be seen on the screen. Besides Shang-Chi, look for Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Captain America: Civil War, Doctor Strange, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, Ant-Man and The Wasp, Captain Marvel, Avengers: Endgame and Black Widow to get this treatment as well.

That's cool but certainly isn't going to encourage folks to go back to the movie theaters.  Altho perhaps Disney will end up going back to a longer window between theater and D+ release, as it seems like having that gap has really made a big difference in box office between  Disney productions and say WB. 

On 11/8/2021 at 8:47 AM, bashpics99 said:

That's cool but certainly isn't going to encourage folks to go back to the movie theaters.  Altho perhaps Disney will end up going back to a longer window between theater and D+ release, as it seems like having that gap has really made a big difference in box office between  Disney productions and say WB. 

How is it meant to encourage people to go back to theaters if they're releasing these on Disney+?

On 11/8/2021 at 11:37 AM, mako said:

Sounds like somebody's going for a quick cash-grab to make up for some under performing movies.

These are being released on Disney+. There's not much of a cash grab to be had.

Besides that, they're not exactly hemorrhaging money. The last three MCU films are still making very decent returns. Lower than they would have pre-COVID, but stacked up against the overall box office, they're still doing pretty great.

On 11/8/2021 at 3:16 PM, cvg_1493151108 said:

Nah, using an IMAX-like ratio on a standard TV is not even close to seeing a film on an IMAX screen. It's like "the difference between the lightning and the lightning bug," to paraphrase Mark Twain.

Yeah, some weirdo hater know-it-alls like to spew ignorance for some reason. It's part of nerd culture. It's like they don't even bother to think before typing some silly screed. It doesn't take much thought or time to realize this is being done for Disney+ Day (Nov. 12th), and everything is free on that day (including Shang Chi), which isn't exactly the best way to go about a "cash grab." 

You can watch Disney plus for free on November 12?

On 11/8/2021 at 4:05 PM, Hogun said:

That is pretty cool, but does it not just mean less people will go to the movie theaters if they have Disney+ on IMAX?

that's my thought.  just another step towards encouraging people to watch movies at home rather than going to theaters, but again a bit odd since Disney is one of the studios that has done relatively well at theaters despite COVID.  I suppose they are just hedging their bets.

On 11/9/2021 at 9:11 AM, cvg_1493151108 said:

I don't believe so, and I'm no expert. I'm pretty sure you still have to be a subscriber (they're offering 1 month for $1.99 though), but anything "premier access," like Shang Chi would normally be since it debuts on Disney+ that day, will be available at no extra cost on that day. It's the anniversary of the service, so this is their way of celebrating. https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/disney-plus-day-2021-price-discount-1235106404/

Premiere access is for movies that debut simultaneously in theaters and on the site. It's been an extra $30 charge. Since Shang-Chi opened months ago, it would not have been Premiere Access like Jungle Cruise or Black Widow were when they debuted on the site (and in theaters).

On 11/9/2021 at 12:52 PM, cvg_1493151108 said:

Nah, premier access isn't exclusively a charge for a simultaneous release. It's what Disney might charge for something's premier on D+. All Disney theatrical releases for the remainder of this year & probably next will have an exclusive theatrical window of at least 45 days before it premiers on D+. Once there, they may debut it "premier access" with a surcharge or they may not. It sounds like Shang Chi will be premier access after the 12th until around the time it hits home vid on the 30th.

It sounds like you might be confusing a Disney + debut or premiere with Premier Access. Premiere Access has been exclusively for movies that were in theaters at the time. These are Mulan (the only movie to actually premiere on Disney + a few days before its US theatrical premiere), Raya and the Last Dragon, Cruella, Black Widow, and Jungle Cruise. And to get Premiere Access to see the movie before the 45+ day window there has always been an add-on charge to the subscription, $30. There was no Premier Access with Shang-Chi. Now it has been more than 45 days (a little over 60) days it will simply be debuting on Disney+ for all subscribers. The 12th also happens to be the day Premier Access ends for Jungle Cruise.
This article explains Premier Access really well:
https://www.businessinsider.com/disney-plus-premiere-access

This is from a C-Net article about the Shang Chi premiere and Disney+ Day:
"Starting this Friday, Nov. 12, you can begin streaming Shang-Chi on Disney Plus if you're subscribed to the service. The best part? It'll be free as soon as it's released to the streaming service. That's right, even after Disney Plus Day on Friday, Shang-Chi and a bunch of other premier movies -- including Disney's Jungle Cruise and the Home Alone reboot -- will stream for free as long as you have a subscription."
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/watch-shang-chi-and-the-legend-of-the-ten-rings-for-free-this-week-and-what-happens-after/

On 11/9/2021 at 3:27 PM, Satam said:

It sounds like you might be confusing a Disney + debut or premiere with Premier Access. Premiere Access has been exclusively for movies that were in theaters at the time. These are Mulan (the only movie to actually premiere on Disney + a few days before its US theatrical premiere), Raya and the Last Dragon, Cruella, Black Widow, and Jungle Cruise. And to get Premiere Access to see the movie before the 45+ day window there has always been an add-on charge to the subscription, $30. There was no Premier Access with Shang-Chi. Now it has been more than 45 days (a little over 60) days it will simply be debuting on Disney+ for all subscribers. The 12th also happens to be the day Premier Access ends for Jungle Cruise.
This article explains Premier Access really well:
https://www.businessinsider.com/disney-plus-premiere-access

This is from a C-Net article about the Shang Chi premiere and Disney+ Day:
"Starting this Friday, Nov. 12, you can begin streaming Shang-Chi on Disney Plus if you're subscribed to the service. The best part? It'll be free as soon as it's released to the streaming service. That's right, even after Disney Plus Day on Friday, Shang-Chi and a bunch of other premier movies -- including Disney's Jungle Cruise and the Home Alone reboot -- will stream for free as long as you have a subscription."
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/watch-shang-chi-and-the-legend-of-the-ten-rings-for-free-this-week-and-what-happens-after/

Thanks satam.  This guy had me way confused. 

Good movie. Really enjoyed it! Yet...

I think they missed the mark by not sticking closer to the comic version- much more grounded, more fitting. But they went with the direction they did, and i knew enough from the previews that they werent even thinking of that.

Also as beautiful as parts of it were, it made me sad, because it took so many things from Iron Fist...the energy fists, the hidden land, the dragons...hell at one point, they even said "Heart of the Dragon" and I thought for sure we'd see Shou-Lao the Undying.  Not to mention, at one point  Xu WenWu says he was once called Master Khan, a direct reference to the Iron Fist villain. I can't see that that character will ever be able to come to the screen. 

Again good movie. It wasn't Shang-Chi, but it was great entertainment.

Rewatched on D+ and i think i liked it even more the 2nd time around!  The first hour or so in particular is just non-stop fun (imo of course).  The 1st time i saw it i thought the finale was a bit too busy but this time around it didn't bother me.  I definitely would like to see all of the surviving characters' next adventures.

Yeah they did steal a lot from Iron Fist but whatever, he had his shot and Perlmutter, Loeb, and Scott Buck blew it pretty badly.  And frankly they probably could still bring Danny in at some point - they've established that people can get super-powers by communing with dragons, not much of a stretch to expand Ta Lo into one of 7 heavenly villages or somesuch and just make K'un L'un one of the other villages.