Marvel Legends 20th Anniversary Iron Man In-Hand Images And Review

JayC

MCUcollector24 takes a look at the new Marvel Legends 20th Anniversary Iron Man figure from Hasbro. You can purchase this figure from our sponsors Entertainment Earth and BigBadToyStore.com.

Check out in-hand images below in our GALLERY and be sure to share your own thoughts about the figure in the COMMENTS SECTION.

20-Anniversary-Iron-Man-01.JPG

20-Anniversary-Iron-Man-02.JPG

20-Anniversary-Iron-Man-03.JPG

20-Anniversary-Iron-Man-04.JPG

20-Anniversary-Iron-Man-05.JPG

20-Anniversary-Iron-Man-06.JPG

20-Anniversary-Iron-Man-07.JPG

20-Anniversary-Iron-Man-08.JPG

20-Anniversary-Iron-Man-09.JPG

20-Anniversary-Iron-Man-10.JPG

20-Anniversary-Iron-Man-11.JPG

20-Anniversary-Iron-Man-12.JPG

20-Anniversary-Iron-Man-13.JPG

This is like some hodge podge of Iron Man, and outside of the package there's not much here that has anything to do with a 20th anniversary. The helmet head sculpt was from the first iteration of the classic red/gold armor (MK II/III), and in the comics you could see Stark's eyes. Of course, the toybiz original version was the actual classic armor.  I'm not gonna give them too much grief on the about the eyes (would've been cool if they had the faceplate flip up and down)  but then you get to the rest of the armor, and its just not that suit. They got the lack of hip pods right, he didn't have those on that model. However the diodes/controls on the chest piece aren't in the right position, there's no antenna, the armor plating lines aren't there, the Riri blast effects are wrong (those would work well for Darkstar), and that Stark headsculpt is 80s Tony. The accurate version would've been an armor suit we haven't seen yet, and I don't think has ever been done by Legends? Someone let me know. 

Hasbro should've just settled on one era and stuck with that lol. Then there's the price jump....just not worth it.

Good depiction of 80s Stark though!

Wish they had used these paint apps for the 80th anniversary IM to begin with but anywayzzz  despite the inaccuracy, this one still gives me that og Avengers vibe that I love so I’m sure I’ll get this one later on if he hits any good sales.

And just to share, this is what the armor looked like on the pages.  
A4D3EA09-EC2A-4F9A-9D9D-E2BC205084D3.thumb.jpeg.2e0616101ef4d4c415cac00aa119abff.jpeg

On 1/28/2022 at 3:09 PM, The Mad Bubbler said:

It's... just OK. It looks a bit off. The two new heads are nice, but don't really work with this body. Then 1980s Tony head is cool- wonder if it works on any existing suited bodies?

Right. With just a little attention to detail, instead of "good enough" (which isn't good enough really) they could've done an Iron Man armor that hasn't been done yet. But no....

On 1/28/2022 at 6:12 PM, Atlantis said:

Right. With just a little attention to detail, instead of "good enough" (which isn't good enough really) they could've done an Iron Man armor that hasn't been done yet. But no....

Yeah, your review/evaluation is spot-on. These figures should be something special, but so far Cap is the best one, and he is just OK. This Iron Man is odd, and the Hulk is hideous, and not in a good way. The cardboard backdrops are a big disappointment, too. The biggest thing thing these figures do is make me think about how much we got for just $7.99 20 years ago.

I'm gonna get this figure because I go cuckoo for Iron Man puffs, and also to replace the Proto-Classic Iron Man from the Iron Monger Wave, but to sum up my thoughts on the figure:

1) Kudos for the new torso, but it's not different enough. As others have mentioned, the diodes are misplaced, he's missing the antenna, and he's also missing the segmenting lines in the upper torso.

2) The headsculpt corresponds to 70s Tony Stark. It's very Tuska/Layton. I think it's funny that this armor is 60s with a 70s headsculpt, whereas the 80 Years release was a 70s armor with a 60s headsculpt.

3) The backdrop reinterprets the ToyBiz diorama as a sign. It's not. The ToyBiz diorama was one half of a satellite. The "neon sign" is a solar array. I think it's funny that not even the official manufacturer of Marvel Legends could figure out what that base was.

4) The smoke effect accessories are really unnecessary. When has Iron Man produced smoke like that? That plastic should've gone into a different headsculpt, either a classic head to give collectors a chance for a more classic-looking Iron Man, the riveted faceplate that also corresponds to the Proto-Classic Armor, or the Nose Armor for a good laugh. Another small accessory that would really have elevated this release could've been a pair of roller skates to plug into the feet pegholes.

When did Charles Bronson make an a Iron Man Movie?

The more I see these 70’s/80’s era head sculpts the more in not liking them. Thinking the deciding factor will be seeing these in hand. Only one i preordered  was Cap, figure IM& Hulk will be easy to come by ( no interest in Toad)

On 1/29/2022 at 1:22 AM, McHogan said:

The more I see these 70’s/80’s era head sculpts the more in not liking them. Thinking the deciding factor will be seeing these in hand. Only one i preordered  was Cap, figure IM& Hulk will be easy to come by ( no interest in Toad)

4A165DAB-935E-4086-99A7-F3FC626948FE.jpeg

5B21362B-5A17-4D64-87A9-2DBF0A796C61.jpeg

that was the point at the time. Most heroes were patterned after various actors.

On 1/28/2022 at 4:22 PM, McHogan said:

4A165DAB-935E-4086-99A7-F3FC626948FE.jpeg

5B21362B-5A17-4D64-87A9-2DBF0A796C61.jpeg

So basically its 2 different heads on a body without the hip pods. Seriously? No, I'm not counting some effects from another figure that just came out and to even consider that postcard is laughable. On top of all that, they wanna charge more

So Toad's the last one.....makes you wonder how they'll botch this one. Good thing is, the original tb Toad was a disaster, so its a pretty low bar. 

I could say a lot about this, but people have made most of the claims I will, this isn't it Hasbro, this is a cheap cash grab, this figure should have been his 1st Apperance Suit, since Hasbro hasn't gotten to that one yet, now I know that the 1st apperance IM was not in the first wave of Toybiz figures..but yeah know what I think people would have been happy if they played with the rules a bit because Toybiz did do the figure in the Mojo wave.

This or bust

spacer.png

So it's not so I guess it's a Bust.... people would have bought this figure, this figure they are releasing well I doubt will be a hit.

I'm sticking with 80th.

On 1/28/2022 at 9:23 PM, Atlantis said:

So basically its 2 different heads on a body without the hip pods. Seriously? No, I'm not counting some effects from another figure that just came out and to even consider that postcard is laughable. On top of all that, they wanna charge more

Yeah the combination of everything is pretty sorry. I still feel silly sometimes for thinking they’d be going all out for these anniversary figure before we saw any of them. Dead wrong.

On 1/28/2022 at 9:23 PM, Atlantis said:

So Toad's the last one.....makes you wonder how they'll botch this one.

Cant wait  
4254092F-D4D3-4FAF-A995-1945518BEEF1.thumb.gif.675b6a1d850179170001930604f2cac0.gif

😄

On 1/28/2022 at 7:43 PM, MODADDYDODOK said:

Yeah the combination of everything is pretty sorry. I still feel silly sometimes for thinking they’d be going all out for these anniversary figure before we saw any of them. Dead wrong.

Cant wait  
4254092F-D4D3-4FAF-A995-1945518BEEF1.thumb.gif.675b6a1d850179170001930604f2cac0.gif

😄

You mustn't reproach yourself, Jacob.

Seriously though, I don't think you should feel silly at all....I'd think that most, if not all the fans would've thought they'd go all out on these anniversary figures. I mean where would Hasbro Legends be, if not for Toy Biz? And its not like Hasbro has never rocked it before. When they want to, they can and have done some incredible stuff. Iron Man, Nightcrawler, Psycho Man, Maverick, Dr. Doom, War Machine, Kingpin, Armadillo and Major Ursa BAFs, Hellfire Club box set...just amazing body of work there. I know I certainly thought they would bring something special this time. 

Agree with everybody on this thread as I'm also not very thrilled with this release. I have only preordered Cap from this line. I cancelled my Hulk preorder and didn't even bother with this. Looking forward to Toad but now I'm kind of worried spending $30 for something that I just want the figure and none of the extra stuff that hikes up the price.

On 1/28/2022 at 10:43 PM, MODADDYDODOK said:

I thought they'd at least be going "moderately out...." So far, they've all been pretty darn lazy, and at a jacked-up price. Substituting the silly postcard for the uniquely sculpted ToyBiz display stands really hammers home the lack of value for the price. They're acting like these are a big deal, but they just aren't. 

On 1/28/2022 at 10:41 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

I could say a lot about this, but people have made most of the claims I will, this isn't it Hasbro, this is a cheap cash grab, this figure should have been his 1st Apperance Suit, since Hasbro hasn't gotten to that one yet, now I know that the 1st apperance IM was not in the first wave of Toybiz figures..but yeah know what I think people would have been happy if they played with the rules a bit because Toybiz did do the figure in the Mojo wave.

I think Hasbro has said they're releasing at least a dozen "Anniversary" figures this year, so it's not like they're only re-doing the first ToyBiz wave, and I'm guessing they're not going in chronological order, because wave 2 was mainly Fantastic Four characters. I'm really hoping they saved more of their tooling budget for this line for some of the other figures, to redeem this. We know that Toad will have to be mostly, or completely, new tooling. I'm hoping we get some other more unique figures, like a deluxe Danny Ketch Ghost Rider with cycle, and maybe some less-obvious choices, like Angel, or classic Ant Man.

On 1/29/2022 at 12:34 PM, The Mad Bubbler said:

I thought they'd at least be going "moderately out...." So far, they've all been pretty darn lazy, and at a jacked-up price. Substituting the silly postcard for the uniquely sculpted ToyBiz display stands really hammers home the lack of value for the price. They're acting like these are a big deal, but they just aren't. 

I think Hasbro has said they're releasing at least a dozen "Anniversary" figures this year, so it's not like they're only re-doing the first ToyBiz wave, and I'm guessing they're not going in chronological order, because wave 2 was mainly Fantastic Four characters. I'm really hoping they saved more of their tooling budget for this line for some of the other figures, to redeem this. We know that Toad will have to be mostly, or completely, new tooling. I'm hoping we get some other more unique figures, like a deluxe Danny Ketch Ghost Rider with cycle, and maybe some less-obvious choices, like Angel, or classic Ant Man.

Yeah I know they did say that they had plans to be releasing quite a few figures under this 20th anniversary program, I still think this Iron Man presented here is just not really necessary because it's hardly anything new or substantial and we literally got the inaccurate version of this like 6 months ago, ah well...yes looking forward to the idea that they will give us some much wanted characters, I could see them doing Doom and Namor from wave 2 , which wouldn't interest me inless they were massive improvements, but we really don't need another Doom already, Namor sure , I'm really hoping we can get Ghost Rider myself (wave 3) that would be my top pick, I don't have a damn Ghost Rider! 

On 1/29/2022 at 2:08 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yeah I know they did say that they had plans to be releasing quite a few figures under this 20th anniversary program, I still think this Iron Man presented here is just not really necessary because it's hardly anything new or substantial and we literally got the inaccurate version of this like 6 months ago, ah well...yes looking forward to the idea that they will give us some much wanted characters, I could see them doing Doom and Namor from wave 2 , which wouldn't interest me inless they were massive improvements, but we really don't need another Doom already, Namor sure , I'm really hoping we can get Ghost Rider myself (wave 3) that would be my top pick, I don't have a damn Ghost Rider! 

Yeah, the Iron Man is really pointless. I'm hoping the new "horn head" sculpt might mean we get an accurate figure somewhere down the line. If I end up finding him for 20 bucks or less, maybe, but not at the inflated retail. 

I have the classic Ghost Rider, and the ToyBiz Ghost Riders, but my top pick for this line would be Danny Ketch GR; I would also buy a rerealese/repaint of the OG Ghost Rider rider set, since I missed out on that one. It's really tough to call who else they'll release- people have wanted a new Toad for years, it was smart of them to save that for the anniversary, but I wonder if most or all of the other figures will be A-listers like Thor, Deadpool, and Wolverine? 

On 1/29/2022 at 5:54 PM, The Mad Bubbler said:

Yeah, the Iron Man is really pointless. I'm hoping the new "horn head" sculpt might mean we get an accurate figure somewhere down the line. If I end up finding him for 20 bucks or less, maybe, but not at the inflated retail. 

I have the classic Ghost Rider, and the ToyBiz Ghost Riders, but my top pick for this line would be Danny Ketch GR; I would also buy a rerealese/repaint of the OG Ghost Rider rider set, since I missed out on that one. It's really tough to call who else they'll release- people have wanted a new Toad for years, it was smart of them to save that for the anniversary, but I wonder if most or all of the other figures will be A-listers like Thor, Deadpool, and Wolverine? 

I'd say likely most of these anniversary figures will be heavyhitters, they wouldn't want to fumble up by releasing anything that wouldn't be a potential certified hit from a sales standpoint, I agree with you speculating we will see a Deadpool, Wolverine, Thor, quite possibly Magneto, Daredevil, Namor, Very hopfully Ghostrider it's about time we get a Dan, I could see them also likely giving us an Elektra, Punisher, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Here's to hoping for a Blade! and Nick Fury!

but I mean who knows at this point, I really don't see them doing wave 1 and then also doing wave 2, since wave 2 had fantastic four members in it, that's way too on the heels of the recent FF wave.

They totally put Toad in this line because they know everyone wants him and they can attach that nice big price tag on it, super money grubbing scheme there.

Well according to Rektangular (yes I know he has become a bit unreliable) the 20th anniverasary MAY consist of

Confirmed Cap, Iron man, Hulk and Toad (not shown)

Firelord

Sentinel

Apocalypse

Beast

MVC War Machine

Scorpion

Mr. Negative

CAP?

This has not been confirmed and I have asked others like Jayc and JTprime, neither can confirm but it's as good of  a list for NOW.

On 1/29/2022 at 6:30 PM, tarot said:

Well according to Rektangular (yes I know he has become a bit unreliable) the 20th anniverasary MAY consist of

Firelord

Sentinel

Apocalypse

Beast

MVC War Machine

Scorpion

Mr. Negative

CAP?

This has not been confirmed and I have asked others like Jayc and JTprime, neither can confirm but it's as good of  a list for NOW.

Yeah most of that seems pretty out of left field for a line that's supposed to be based on the 20th anniversary of Legends, Celebrating Toybiz legends, I think Rektangular is pulling stuff out of his behind. Marvel VS. Capcom Warmachine? Mr. Negative? Firelord? (as examples) yeah I'd be blown out of my socks if that came true, sure those figures listed above I can see being released in some for in 2022 but under the Mock Toybiz card 20th Anniversary Banner...Why would that program include those figures seems totally inconsistent and extremely random. Toybiz never did a firelord or a mr. negative or gamerverse figure, Sure I will eat my words if this comes true, but I also think it would be stupid to include most of those above listed figures in a ToyBiz 20th Anniversary celebration wave, and what not include Thor, Namor or any of the figures it should, Hasbro would be wacked out.

On 1/28/2022 at 7:41 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

"...this is a cheap cash grab, this figure should have been his 1st Apperance Suit...I know that the 1st apperance IM was not in the first wave of Toybiz figures..."spacer.png

Given that they've already done a number of the red/gold armors, I think you're right that fans would've enjoyed a FA armor, especially if this was done in a glossy gun-metal gray, with a removable face plate feature and Tony's face underneath. If they really were to do the toybiz "version" it would just be the classic suit that we already have. Your idea of the MK I is certainly better than the sloppy mess they're offering now.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:30 PM, tarot said:

Firelord

Sentinel

Apocalypse

Beast

MVC War Machine

Scorpion

Mr. Negative

CAP?

That seems to be the most random leak I'm seen. Only 3 of them were done in the Original Line and Mr. Negative didn't even exist back when Toy Biz had the licence.  Also no ladies.