Sony Developing Spider-Man Character 'El Muerto' Standalone Marvel Movie Starring Bad Bunny

Outsiders

Sony announced during their panel at CinemaCon that an El Muerto movie is in development with Latin Grammy winner and platinum-selling recording artist Bad Bunny attached to star.

The character of El Muerto aka Juan Carlos was a super-powered wrestler who originally fought Spider-Man in a charity wrestling match in which he nearly unmasked the web slinger before being stung by Spider-Man with a paralyzing poison. After his oppressor El Dorado came to claim his life, he was saved by Spider-Man, after which the two team up to defeat Dorado.

Source: Deadline

El_Muerto.jpg

On 4/26/2022 at 6:14 PM, Hogun said:

Ah yes, count on Sony to pick the most obscure characters to get a movie over more established names like Scorpion, Hydro Man and Borat.

Also: Who?

Bad Bunny, some musician

spacer.png

this guy...ugh.

He's not even an actor.

I almost believe that this is Sony's attempt to get to Disney to just outright purchase the film rights from them for the Spider-Man universe of characters. This is getting out of hand. Venom was one thing but then Morbius, Kraven, Madame Web and (forgive me) El Muerto? There seems to be no bottom to how far down they're willing to dig down on this.... All of these characters would be fantastic getting introduced in a Spider-Man movie, but having their own movies? How desperate is Sony? Do they think that they can just throw out a bunch of stuff and even if one resonates and pays for the others that it's worth it?!? Please, Disney and Sony, please get together and come to an agreement where Disney takes full creative control and Sony just makes enough $$$ off it to make transferring the rights worthwhile....

On 4/26/2022 at 5:16 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Bad Bunny, some horrid musician

spacer.png

this guy...ugh.

He's not even an actor.

I mean, horrid is a strong word. I don't particularly dislike him, but I know he's not for everyone.

Then again, he really isn't an actor and I don't see his fame being enough pull to cash in on a movie. 

On 4/26/2022 at 9:15 PM, memocromatico said:

I mean, horrid is a strong word. I don't particularly dislike him, but I know he's not for everyone.

Then again, he really isn't an actor and I don't see his fame being enough pull to cash in on a movie. 

I am not a fan personally of any song I've ever heard from him, but then again it's not my cup of tea, I guess Horrid was strong (I edited the original post, to less rude), but that's how I felt about his music when I've heard it. I am more concerned that he's not an actor and has never acted over his music being bad (to me) since it likely the movie isn't going to be a musical, it just seems like a not so great idea to get a musician who may have a big following(?) to star in a film when he's never acted before.

Ah well, Sony is for certain just doing Sony. 🤷‍♂️

Sony released two terrible movies with Venom, arguably Spideys most popular friend/foe. 

If they can’t get Venom right there is no way Morbius, Kraven and this wrestler make for a good (even subpar) film.

I get Sony is playing the  Hand their dealt but what they can’t seem to grasp is that Spidey is the catalyst for ALL of the characters they are making terrible movies with. I mean, it’s right there in the description.. Spidey fights then saves this turkey. ..take Spidey out and this equation and we have an unknown character is fighting another unknown. But why?!?

oh Sony.. this is getting sad to watch

Yeah, I've been a pretty staunch defender of Sony through most of this crap. I like the Venom franchise alright and Morbius wasn't anything more or less what I was expecting. I was under the opinion that they had to work with what they had but I'm really starting to realize, after Spider-Man they really ain't got squat. They got a huge win with Spidey and No Way Home hit the zenith, but I think down is the only direction they can head from here. I think maybe the best bet is to make some kind of deal with Marvel to maybe do Spider-Man 4, depending on how well Raimi pulls off Doctor Strange 2, of course, wrap up the Amazing Spider-Man with a 3rd movie, and let Disney pay them Eff Tons of cash to buy the Holland era Spidey back from them and move on. They can't keep dumping their money on these far reaches. I'm not wishing bad for Kraven but it's gonna be bad and who knows what the hell is going on with Black Cat, Silver Sable, the Sinister Six and now this wannabe Bane guy. With Bad Bunny, no less. Another puny guy they cast as the really big guy? Its not like the guy has shown any kind of competent acting  ability, unlike Maslany who got cast as She-Hulk. Not that there might not accidentally be a hit or two in that batch, but at this point the future is starting to look a little bleak.

You're holding on too tight Sony, it's time to just let go. You gave it a shot, you helped put cinematic Marvel on the map, I gotta imagine you made your money back many times over by now. It's time to stop chasing the dragon. Just let it go. For all our sakes, please just let it go.