Patton Oswalt Confirms Eternals 2 Is Coming

JayC

i haven't given up on the characters so I'm not opposed to a sequel.  But i'm not so sure about having the same director come back, would rather see them give someone else the opportunity. 

I also remain concerned that its still kind of a big cast, marvel really needs to make us like  these characters more and having so many of them makes it trickier.

in the 1st film the "lead", Sersi, just came across as so bland that i begin to think Gemma Chan casting was a mistake.. so i hope in the sequel either Sersi gets a personality overhaul or that her character just gets less focus.

all imo of course

Oh, good. MODOK says so so I guess we can just pencil that into our calendars. If there was ever an argument for a full CGI Pip it would be to get rid of that movie wrecker. I'm not sure who's idea it was to cast that cat, but I'm interested to know what mental facility they're now locked up in.

But seriously, why?

On 8/4/2022 at 12:05 PM, bashpics99 said:

i haven't given up on the characters so I'm not opposed to a sequel.  But i'm not so sure about having the same director come back, would rather see them give someone else the opportunity. 

I also remain concerned that its still kind of a big cast, marvel really needs to make us like  these characters more and having so many of them makes it trickier.

in the 1st film the "lead", Sersi, just came across as so bland that i begin to think Gemma Chan casting was a mistake.. so i hope in the sequel either Sersi gets a personality overhaul or that her character just gets less focus.

all imo of course

That's where I was kind of at. I knew there would be some kind of follow up project, but I didn't expect a full on sequel. Too many characters and too few of them were very interesting. I expected maybe for them to pick out one or two of them and do some kind of "Eternals Origins" type of thing so they could do what they failed to do in the first movie by concentrating and developing and letting us get to know them so we might begin to like them. I really want to see Black Knight in the MCU so I think something along the lines of a Sersi/Dane spin-off would be the best bet. I too think Sersi was miscast, but I'm a fan of Gemma Chan and I really think she has something more to bring to the MCU so I hope they can flesh out the character and make her a little more likeable. Or even palatable.

P.S. a little item of note. If you wanna see something really funny Google "Eternals Movie" and the first person that turns up as a cast member is Harry Styles. LOL, as if we needed any reminder as to how bland all the other characters in that movie were. Again, I think a large part of it was the size of the cast, but it's still funny.

Not a real shocker, they did say the Eternals would return at the end of the first movie, which usually indicates a sequel, but I wondered if maybe they would have relegated them too some sort of side story in someone elses movie after the poor reception of the first film, I however Am totally into this, contrary to popular opinion I liked Eternals, it had plenty of flaws, but as a MCU movie it was certainly different then what we had seen before and I enjoyed that aspect of it, I'm all for seeing more of these characters but they need to trim the fat, too many characters in 1 movie, I could imagine though some how the Eternals are a big lead into the Secret Wars and introducing and playing with some big Cosmic characters and ideas.

Plus we need a vessel for more MCU Black Knight, I also imagine we will see Sersi play a roll as an Avenger going forward, I feel like that was one of the points, to bring Sersi into the fold, and it would be cool to see more of her and Dane.

On 8/4/2022 at 11:18 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Not a real shocker, they did say the Eternals would return at the end of the first movie, which usually indicates a sequel, but I wondered if maybe they would have relegated them too some sort of side story in someone elses movie after the poor reception of the first film, I however Am totally into this, contrary to popular opinion I liked Eternals, it had plenty of flaws, but as a MCU movie it was certainly different then what we had seen before and I enjoyed that aspect of it, I'm all for seeing more of these characters but they need to trim the fat, too many characters in 1 movie, I could imagine though some how the Eternals are a big lead into the Secret Wars and introducing and playing with some big Cosmic characters and ideas.

Plus we need a vessel for more MCU Black Knight, I also imagine we will see Sersi play a roll as an Avenger going forward, I feel like that was one of the points, to bring Sersi into the fold, and it would be cool to see more of her and Dane.

Like you, I actually liked Eternals, but also saw the flaws. I think it was sort of a palette cleanser. Chloe shot it beautifully, but the pacing  of her films are slow, so I felt that wasn't the best fit for a Marvel film. And two major things stood out for me and stopped it from being a much better film - the Sprite character was ineffective ( the character may look young, but she is thousands of years old  so acting like an immature brat is just off), and SPOILER - they should have edited the story differently with us seeing the Icarus plot line play out in chronological order. It would have been a hundred times more intense if we knew what he was up to (that he killed Ajax and why) and we had to watch the other characters interact with him not knowing he is a threat. Greater tension and drama.

On 8/5/2022 at 9:33 PM, Psychosomatic said:

SPOILER - they should have edited the story differently with us seeing the Icarus plot line play out in chronological order. It would have been a hundred times more intense if we knew what he was up to (that he killed Ajax and why) and we had to watch the other characters interact with him not knowing he is a threat. Greater tension and drama.

If the twist was executed better where Icarus being the traitor, and giving that huge shock to the audience, it would have been fine how it was. But since it lacked that I agree with you on the chronological order would have been better than what we got.

Ehh maybe that whole twist with Icarus could have been more dramatic but the problem is they failed to make us care about ANY of these characters... so motivations aside, when his “surprise” betrayal occurs, it’s shrug inducing.

and I’m calling this now, of the characters that “died” in the first film, Icarus will be the one to regenerate ( because reasons.. they explained this in the movie but *yawn*) and he will be appalled at his last versions actions and repent and once again be a hero. And still nobody will care.

this is another example of Disney backing themselves into a corner. They announced “The Eternals will Return” so now they kinda have too. And to show you how much faith Disney has with the Eternals franchise, there has been ZERO mention of any of the events from that film in other MCU properties.. I mean, a giant stone hand suddenly forming out of the earth would surely mess with the world as we know it right? Guess the citizens of the MCU don’t care about the Eternals either. Sorry to say but I’m in the camp that thinks the post credit scene with Harry and Patton was more intriguing than the entirety of the film. But they will lose me again if they move forward with Will “ mr punchable face “ Poulter as Warlock in an Infinty Watch film haha

On 8/7/2022 at 8:22 PM, McHogan said:

Ehh maybe that whole twist with Icarus could have been more dramatic but the problem is they failed to make us care about ANY of these characters... so motivations aside, when his “surprise” betrayal occurs, it’s shrug inducing.

and I’m calling this now, of the characters that “died” in the first film, Icarus will be the one to regenerate ( because reasons.. they explained this in the movie but *yawn*) and he will be appalled at his last versions actions and repent and once again be a hero. And still nobody will care.

this is another example of Disney backing themselves into a corner. They announced “The Eternals will Return” so now they kinda have too. And to show you how much faith Disney has with the Eternals franchise, there has been ZERO mention of any of the events from that film in other MCU properties.. I mean, a giant stone hand suddenly forming out of the earth would surely mess with the world as we know it right? Guess the citizens of the MCU don’t care about the Eternals either. Sorry to say but I’m in the camp that thinks the post credit scene with Harry and Patton was more intriguing than the entirety of the film. But they will lose me again if they move forward with Will “ mr punchable face “ Poulter as Warlock in an Infinty Watch film haha

I agree, making us care about the characters is what would have been the best fix for the movie. It's that missing element that also would have made the Icarus plot twist more dramatic.