Hasbro Raises Prices on Selfie Series Action Figures from $60 to $80

toynewman

Back in July Hasbro announced a new line of Selfie Action Figures that would be available. The properties ranged from Power Rangers, Star Wars, GI Joe and others that Hasbro sells. Initially it was said to be $60 per figure but now according to Gizmodo the price has been raised to $80 per figure. Gizmodo reports Starting this Friday, September 30, collectors who’ve always wanted to immortalize themselves as a six-inch action figure can download the Hasbro mobile app (on either Android or iOS) and use it to order a custom Selfie Series figure. According to instructions you can ONLY order these figures through the mobile app which makes sense due to the fact that you need to upload an image of yourself. You also NEED to include at least five headshots to be submitted, including a required front view, plus several angled shots from the left and right with proper lighting and facial expressions in order to get the best results. Customers are also given choices on what hair styles and facial hair from 14 different options.

Figure styles include Stormtrooper, X-Wing pilot, Leia, Mandalorian, Black Panther, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Black Widow, Red Power Ranger, Pink Power Ranger, Snake Eyes, Scarlett and a male or female Ghostbuster with delivery of said figure about 45-60 days from purchase.

Selfie.Series.1.jpg

Selfie.Series.2.jpg

Selfie.Series.3.jpg

Selfie.Series.4.jpg

Selfie.Series.5.jpg

Eesh! Raising the price on something that hasn't even come out yet is not a good look; somebody seriously needs to school the new guy on the importance of optics! This was already pushing it at 80$ Canadian (before shipping!) which is what 60$ US roughly comes to. 110$ Canadian plus the international shipping = Thanks but no thanks; I liked the idea of myself in Action figure format, but I like having more shopping money for other things a lot more.

Hasbro have become something else of late. Absolute insatiable greed and unreasonable prices. All whilst posting RECORD profits. Well congrats to them as Marvel legends I only get on price drop (and don't care if I miss out on a figure), Power Rangers are done, Joes only a very select few. Meanwhile WWE mattel haven't changed their prices and are infinitely better 

On 9/26/2022 at 11:58 AM, LordVenger said:

Wow. A 30% plus markup on an item you revealed 2 months ago. Now you just lost 30% of the customers who were thinking  of doing this. What is the point?

I'm sure if the price increase drives away most of their customers they'll just blame it's failure on lack of fan interest.

This speaks to how Hasbro has been rolling these past few months: offer a product at a higher but still reasonable cost and the wheels in my mind start thinking “ hey, it would be a little pricy at $60 but I cold get 4, 1 for each member of my family. Then the customary price hike and they’ve priced me out of buying even 1 figure. 

So there you have it Hasbro, I considered a 4 figure purchase of about  $240, you raise prices by $20 (!!!) and now you get $0. It’s like they want this project to fail. That sounds familiar ( looking at you Haslab Ghost Rider) 

This is exactly how my yearly purchases have gone as well. I used to buy 2 of every Avenger and MCU character. Now I buy 1 and Hasbro loses that extra money I would have spent before their price increases. 

Just mind boggling 

it almost feels like Hasbro is actively trying to burn through fan's good will.  I mean they did not need to announce the price at all a few months ago, they could've just said TBD. instead they said $60 and the timing on this announcement to raise the price couldn't be worse (granted, somewhat unavoidable with Hascon coming up).

I am still not entirely convinced the solo Mojo will sell for $42, i think somewhere in the $60s more likely but if indeed it is $42 then you have

• haslab debacle where the price tag for what is offered is the #1 complaint and indeed hard to see how Charger, Galactus, and Sentinel all cost the same, even if we ignore any tiers
  • Mojo debacle where fans accidentally find out that Mojo can be had for a price that makes the box set price look exorbitant
  • seemingly arbitrary increase in selfie series figure

I have been a big ML fan for a long time and continue to think that it is overall the best mass retail action figure line of all time but some of their recent decisions make me shake my head.  

• 2 weeks later...