Blade: Yann Demange To Director, Michael Starrbury To Write Script

Outsiders

After a slight delay in finding a new director for Marvel's Blade, the studios have picked up a new director and a new writer for the feature.  Yann Demange has signed on to direct with Michael Starrbury to write a new script.   Mahershala Ali is starring in the titular role with Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige producing.

Marvel is looking to change the tone of the new Blade movie and not make it as dark as the previous films.  They wanted a director and writer that could achieve that look and feel for this feature and felt the pitch that Demange gave the studio was what they wanted for the film.

Production is scheduled to start next year in Atlanta and the film has a September 6th, 2024 release date.

Source: Deadline

On 11/21/2022 at 1:38 PM, Outsiders said:

"Marvel is looking to change the tone of the new Blade movie and not make it as dark as the previous films.  They wanted a director and writer that could achieve that look and feel for this feature and felt the pitch that Demange gave the studio was what they wanted for the film...."

Yeesh, I don't know how a Blade movie will perform if its not "dark". Seems a rather essential part of the character.

Blade was one of the very VERY few movie productions that differed (costume) from the comics that I liked. Still, I would like to see a first appearance Blade figure.

The rumor is, and should be taken with a huge grain of salt, was that the previous director thought the original script was a blatant rip off of the first Underworld movie, right down to the warring Vampire and Werewolf clans, while also putting the spotlight on an, up till now, never heard of daughter of Blade who would become the Corvin-esque master hybrid race, instead of the movie actually being about Blade. After much strife the director split and due to the glaring similarities to said movie they decided to start from scratch. It supposedly came from a source that is pretty accurate in the industry, including leaking the plot of The Rise of Skywalker and both final Avengers movies. Again, grain of salt, but is being reported by multiple sites online.

If that is true I am glad that version got scrapped, however I am still concerned that the problem they felt with it was that it's  "too dark" I for over the the no r rating thing after multiverse of madness and werewolf by knight it gave me hope that they could stretch the pg13 rating to it's limits. I don't want to be the guy who proclaims  something  a disaster at the first sign of trouble or change . I dislike the immediate  disregard for something's potential quality because they changed this character's powers/backstory/characterization or cause the effects look off initially. But when it comes to the story and tone i feel like that should've been nailed down before production started. Still Im crossing my fingers that they find the right script and things Will start going smoothly again. I can hope anyway 

To clarify what I wrote was based off of information that came from the source.  It's not a direct quote, as the source stated:

"While it probably won’t be as dark as the previous Blade pics, Insiders say Marvel is looking to go with a darker tone on this film than other MCU projects have been in the past."

They don't want the movie as dark as previous Blade movies, but they want a darker tone than other MCU projects.  Based on that directly, it's hard to determine how "dark" Marvel will be taking this movie.

On 11/22/2022 at 7:47 PM, Outsiders said:

To clarify what I wrote was based off of information that came from the source.  It's not a direct quote, as the source stated:

"While it probably won’t be as dark as the previous Blade pics, Insiders say Marvel is looking to go with a darker tone on this film than other MCU projects have been in the past."

They don't want the movie as dark as previous Blade movies, but they want a darker tone than other MCU projects.  Based on that directly, it's hard to determine how "dark" Marvel will be taking this movie.

I wouldn't have expected Guillermo Del Toro level gore and the F-word flying every other minute from this movie, anyway.