Stan Lee Documentary Coming to Disney+ In 2023

JayC

Love Sir Stan Lee, but I have zero interest in seeing Disney continue to shamelessly invoke his name. I'm sure they'll be totally on the up 'n' up when they talk about his later years where they're robbing him blind and using their high paid lawyers to ultimately wrench his IP's away from his family, who were only trying to protect his legacy but were painted as a buncha greedy, opportunistic elder abusers in the media. Oh, and let's not forget Disney taking interviews clearly taped while he was in his decline and cutting and pasting them together to make "editorials" to tow the Disney line. Something they're still doing to this day. Let's not pretend Disney was a friend to "The Man". After making billions upon billions off his creations they basically paid the guy the Hollywood equivalent of minimum wage, which means, as Chris Rock would say, if they coulda paid him less they would have.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Neal Kirby, the son of the late Jack Kirby has expressed his animosity toward the new Disney+ documentary on the life of Marvel Comics editor Stan Lee.

Kirby has posted in a series of tweets via his daughter, Jillian Kirby that states that Stan Lee receives far too much credit for creating the Fantastic Four, the Incredible Hulk, and other Marvel characters that Kirby's father helped create. Kirby states that many assume that everyone wants to believe that no one ever came to Lee with a character idea and when Lee is asked about the established character. Lee would take full credit and say it was always his idea.

Kirby also downgrades Lee's major plot points and how his father would have to beef up the plot and storylines that Lee took to create for and wants to defend all the writers and artists whose work was overshadowed.

Not surprised in the least, and I agree that Jack deserves far more credit. Having an idea is one thing, but in this field you have nothing if you don't also have a visual look to the characters that is both appealing and iconic. Their names imo should synonymous when talking about Marvel history.

And no surprise that Marvel would try to downplay the contributions of Jack Kirby; they're entire empire is built on taking all the credit and profit for what their artists have created over the decades. 

On 6/20/2023 at 9:56 PM, tarot said:

No. That is true at all. Stan always gave credit to the artists. It marvel that push him as the face of the company. 

That's true. Stan at least didn't make his artists do stories were they said he was the only creator of a character.

despite all the controversy around whether stan took credit where it wasn't due, or give the proper credit to artists/writers in the marvel stable for creating characters, I love Stan, and always like hearing and seeing him, he was such a positive driving force in the world of comics, and seemed like a pretty good guy, I actually met him many years ago and he was super nice and really fun, it was at a con and he obviously had people paying to get photos with him, he let me meet him and take a photo with him for free, he was that cool.

I liked this documentary, it was simple and it just celebrated Marvel and Stan, and kept it short and sweet.

despite all of the who got what credit, Stan did in the end make Marvel really what Marvel is, we care about these stories because of his work with them, yes we love what the characters look like because of the artists but it was Stan who kept the Marvel torch glowing all of these years with his public presence and input.