Tensions Erupt Between Steve Rogers And Sam Wilson As Captain America: Cold War Begins

JayC

It’s all been leading to this! Last year, a new era of Captain America began as both Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson picked up the shield and embarked on separate journeys in the pages of Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing, and Carmen Carnero’s CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY and Tochi Onyebuchi and R.B. Silva’s CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH. This April, the two Captains will reunite for CAPTAIN AMERICA: COLD WAR, an explosive crossover event that will make them question everything they believe in…and each other.

First teased at New York Comic Con, CAPTAIN AMERICA: COLD WAR will be a pivotal chapter in the legendary 80-year history of Captain America. An espionage-fueled action thriller, the storyline will pay off various plot threads that have building up in the pages of both acclaimed titles including the rise of the mysterious Outer Circle and their shocking connection to Steve Rogers; the surprising return of Ian Rogers, AKA Nomad; Sam Wilson’s intense conflict with Wakanda and White Wolf; and Bucky’s bold new mission as the New Revolution.

Here’s what fans can expect when COLD WAR erupts in full force this April:

Don’t miss CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY #11, a thrilling COLD WAR prelude issue! Captain America and the new Invaders may be free from M.O.D.O.C.’s mind control, but they are not yet guaranteed their lives. With the battle nearly won, the Outer Circle have arrived on the ground to collect their prize. It’s up to Steve Rogers to wrestle victory from the Power and finally end the Outer Circle’s invasion of Manhattan — but choices made at this critical point will alter Steve’s understanding of friendship and the stakes of his fight against the Outer Circle for good.

Then Kelly, Lanzing, and Onyebuchi team up with artist Carlos Magno to begin the revolution in CAPTAIN AMERICA: COLD WAR ALPHA #1! Bucky Barnes is the Outer Circle’s New Revolution, and he has enacted his deadliest move yet — an alliance with Sam Wilson’s nemesis, the White Wolf. When Steve Rogers’ adopted son, Ian, A.K.A. Nomad, is abducted by someone Steve thought was a friend, he suspects Bucky’s hand at work and calls upon the people who know Ian best — Sam Wilson, Sharon Carter and Misty Knight — to help him get to the bottom of the attack. Has Bucky finally gone too far? Why has Nomad been taken, and what does it have to do with a portal to Dimension Z opening over a secret battleground in Alaska?

In CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #12, Part two of COLD WAR, White Wolf has used the power granted him by Bucky Barnes to take control of Dimension Z and unleash its creatures onto the Captains America. Sam Wilson and Steve Rogers are prepared to fight their way through the onslaught, but the Outer Circle has more stakes in this fight than our heroes realize. Can Sam Wilson and Steve Rogers agree on their priorities before they fall to this new threat? And what exactly does Bucky Barnes intend to do to Ian Rogers?

Check out the first covers now and stay tuned for more announcements about CAPTAIN AMERICA: COLD WAR in the weeks ahead, including a pulse-pounding trailer!

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY #11 [Cold War Prelude]
Written by COLLIN KELLY & JACKSON LANZING
Art and Cover by CARMEN CARNERO
On Sale 4/5

CAPTAIN AMERICA: COLD WAR ALPHA #1
Written by COLLIN KELLY, JACKSON LANZING & TOCHI ONYEBUCHI
Art by CARLOS MAGNO
Cover by PATRICK GLEASON
On Sale 4/12

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #12
Written by TOCHI ONYEBUCHI
Art and Cover by R.B. SILVA
On Sale 4/26

CAPACOLDWARA2023001_cov.jpg

00-CAPASOL2022011_cov.jpg

CAPATRUTH2022012_cov.jpg

On 1/11/2023 at 11:57 AM, McHogan said:

Meh.. Sam just needs to go back to being the best Falcon instead of cosplaying as the 3rd or 4th best Captain America

I defended the choice to have the Falcon take up the shield, because Cap asked him to. And given his long partnership with him, it only made sense. 

However now with Cap back, there's just no need for this anymore. 

The Falcon has so much untapped potential, even after being around for over 50 years. Marvel's first (American) black superhero. He's a street fighter on the same level as Daredevil and Moon Knight, if only they'd let him soar (no pun intended). 

Put him back in his classic outfit (without the open V-neck), ditch the facial hair, add the red goggles and restore his secret ID. I'd love to see him in some good old fashioned comic book superhero action, taking on a crime ring in Madripoor. Have him tangle with AIM. Bring back the original Moonstone. Do some out of the box stuff and have him go against Killer Shrike, MAULER, even Deathbird!  And back to his costume, why can't he have a suit for winter weather as well as summer? It cracked me up that when during his first spin in the Avengers, he was flying bare-armed thru snowy winter New York skies. 

Oh yeah....he needs a cool headquarters all his own. 

I'm calling it right now...this is gonna end with Steve Rogers either dead, or giving up the Captain America mantle. I've seen this coming since I noticed that Sam Wilson's title is carrying the Legacy Numbering. Steve will be out of the game (for at least a couple years) and Sam will be the only Captain America, once again. And it just makes sense, if you figure that the latter day comics always follow MCU synergy, (which makes the comics worse) and knowing that Sam Wilson will be carrying the mantle in Captain America 4. I guarantee this is coming, and it's a status quo that will remain, at least until after the movie is in the rearview mirror.

On 1/11/2023 at 5:33 PM, Atlantis said:

I defended the choice to have the Falcon take up the shield, because Cap asked him to. And given his long partnership with him, it only made sense. 

However now with Cap back, there's just no need for this anymore. 

The Falcon has so much untapped potential, even after being around for over 50 years. Marvel's first (American) black superhero. He's a street fighter on the same level as Daredevil and Moon Knight, if only they'd let him soar (no pun intended). 

Put him back in his classic outfit (without the open V-neck), ditch the facial hair, add the red goggles and restore his secret ID. I'd love to see him in some good old fashioned comic book superhero action, taking on a crime ring in Madripoor. Have him tangle with AIM. Bring back the original Moonstone. Do some out of the box stuff and have him go against Killer Shrike, MAULER, even Deathbird!  And back to his costume, why can't he have a suit for winter weather as well as summer? It cracked me up that when during his first spin in the Avengers, he was flying bare-armed thru snowy winter New York skies. 

Oh yeah....he needs a cool headquarters all his own. 

This is where I’m at too.. Sam as Falcon was an awesome character. Sure he was street level but that kinda what made him cool. 

The storyline where Steve has Sam take up the mantle made sense but it ran its course. 

But now, does Marvel think Sam is too big to go back to being the Falcon? 

Whatever their reasoning, keeping Sam as a second Cap just feels forced, movies be damned

On 1/11/2023 at 6:32 PM, GarimusPrime said:

I'm calling it right now...this is gonna end with Steve Rogers either dead, or giving up the Captain America mantle. I've seen this coming since I noticed that Sam Wilson's title is carrying the Legacy Numbering. Steve will be out of the game (for at least a couple years) and Sam will be the only Captain America, once again. And it just makes sense, if you figure that the latter day comics always follow MCU synergy, (which makes the comics worse) and knowing that Sam Wilson will be carrying the mantle in Captain America 4. I guarantee this is coming, and it's a status quo that will remain, at least until after the movie is in the rearview mirror.

Good eye on the legacy numbering, didn’t even notice. I understand their thinking that Sam is the current Cap in the movies so... but being honest and declaring that I am a huge MCU fan, but Marvel tends to ruin their comics trying to keep the synergy up to date with the MCU. 

On 1/11/2023 at 3:39 PM, JTO_Enews said:

I'm really not familiar with the specific qualities of recent runs or anything, but, based on these comments, it sounds like the Title of "Captain America" is something that Americans should vote on every 4 years to decide.  Make it less like a Supreme Court Justice position and more-so an Elected Official role.  

No. Regardless however many new writers come on board, no matter who wears the costume, they always return to the one and only original.

There is only One Batman.

One Iron Man.

One Black Panther.

One Captain America. 

On 1/11/2023 at 11:16 PM, leokearon said:

Sam should go back to the Falcon, he's a good Cap but the Falcon is his own identity. There isn't really a need for two caps at a time. Also can Marvel stop having heroes fighting each other and focus on heroes fighting villains.

YES. THANK YOU! Somebody gets it.

On 1/11/2023 at 10:34 PM, Atlantis said:

No. Regardless however many new writers come on board, no matter who wears the costume, they always return to the one and only original.

There is only One Batman.

One Iron Man.

One Black Panther.

One Captain America. 

Beautifully put. 

• 2 weeks later...

CAPTAIN AMERICA: COLD WAR, the explosive crossover saga that’s been building since the very beginning of Captain America’s current era is almost upon us!

Both Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson presently wield the shield and have embarked on separate journeys as Captain America in the pages of Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing, and Carmen Carnero’s CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY and Tochi Onyebuchi and R.B. Silva’s CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH. This April, both books will collide in an epic that will make them question everything they believe in…and each other. This bold chapter in Captain America’s 80-year legacy will be a globetrotting, espionage-fueled thriller lined with hard-hitting personal conflict between the two Captains America. The storyline will pay off various plot threads that made both titles must-reads the past year including the rise of the mysterious Outer Circle and their shocking connection to Steve Rogers; the surprising return of Ian Rogers, AKA Nomad; Sam Wilson’s intense conflict with Wakanda and White Wolf; and Bucky’s bold new mission as the New Revolution. Things will come to a head when Bucky and White Wolf join forces and kidnap Ian Rogers in a twisted plan to unleash Dimension Z. Will Steve and Sam be able to agree on the hard choices needed to set things right? It all kicks off in April’s CAPTAIN AMERICA: COLD WAR ALPHA but right now, readers can peek ahead at what’s to come in Parts 3 and 4 of the event, on sale in May!

In CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY #12, Kelly and Lanzing will be joined by guest artist Alina Erofeeva as they bring Black Widow into the action! When Bucky Barnes and White Wolf team up to strike at the heart of the Outer Circle conspiracy, Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson and their allies are caught in the crossfire! As the heroes fight their way across the war-torn Alaskan tundra to rescue Ian Rogers, Black Widow attempts to stop Bucky’s descent into villainy – at any cost!

In CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #13, White Wolf’s latest trap has left the Captains America barely standing, and Sam Wilson is hesitant to push the team toward certain death without a backup plan. But Steve Rogers will stop at nothing to rescue his son — even if it means taking down one of his closest friends!

Check out the May covers now and be there when CAPTAIN AMERICA: COLD WAR officially begins this April!

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY #11 [Cold War Prelude]
Written by COLLIN KELLY & JACKSON LANZING
Art and Cover by CARMEN CARNERO
On Sale 4/5

CAPTAIN AMERICA: COLD WAR ALPHA #1
Written by COLLIN KELLY, JACKSON LANZING & TOCHI ONYEBUCHI
Art by CARLOS MAGNO
Cover by PATRICK GLEASON
On Sale 4/12

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #12 – Cold War Part 2
Written by TOCHI ONYEBUCHI
Art and Cover by R.B. SILVA