Steven Yeun Joins Marvel Studios Thunderbolts In Key Role

Outsiders

Oscar-nominated Steven Yeun is set to join Marvel Studios’ Thunderbolts, and sources from within indicate that this is a major role for the film and could also play a role going forward in future films of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Yeun joins an ensemble cast that includes Florence Pugh as Yelena Belova, Sebastian Stan as Winter Soldier, David Harbour as Red Guardian, Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Valentina Allegra de Fontaine, Wyatt Russell as US Agent, Hannah John-Kamen as Ghost and Olga Kurylenko as Taskmaster. Ayo Edebiri also joined the ensemble in an undisclosed role.

Marvel Studios’ Thunderbolts is being directed by Jake Schreier, from a script penned by Black Widow scribe Eric Pearson.  Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige will be producing.  Not much is known about the plot of the film, but in the comics, it revolves around a group of villains who are sent on missions commissioned by the government.  The film is scheduled for a July 26th, 2024 release.

Yeun is best known for his TV role on The Walking Dead and his movie roles earned him his first Oscar nomination for best actor in his starring role in A24’s Minari, followed by Jordan Peele's Nope.

Source: Deadline

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen rumors that Yeun is playing The Sentry. I mean... I guess they're  going the CGI route as Sentry is supposed to be a fairly large guy. And Yeun is 5'5" in high heels.

I suppose they did the same with Tatania Maslany in She-Hulk and that mostly looked pretty okay..

• 8 months later...

Robert Kirkman, the creator behind The Walking Dead and Invincible, may have inadvertently revealed the identity of the Marvel character that Steven Yeun will be portraying in Thunderbolts.  During a guest appearance on artist David Finch's YouTube channel, Kirkman casually mentioned Yeun and his potential involvement with Sentry.

"My good friend Steven Yeun is playing The Sentry in a movie.  He called me, he went in for a costume fitting.  I don't think this is a spoiler or anything that will get anybody in trouble. I don't know, maybe, we'll see. I don't care, I don't work for Marvel. What are they going to do to me? He called me and said, I just came back from a costume fitting for Sentry. I guess I only do superheroes that wear yellow and blue.

On 11/18/2023 at 4:54 AM, JohnF said:

Well, I'm not gonna lie I would've liked someone else to play Sentry

Yeah me as well, I love Steven Yeun, but on paper he just doesn't seem right to play Sentry, is he going to have long blonde/white hair (a wig?) I dunno might just look odd, like Micheal Rooker in Suicide Squad...either way I generally believe in Marvel Studios and their ability to cast, they really have not done much in ways of letting me down, so if they think Mr. Yeun is the right choice, I''ll reserve my opinion until I can see what's what.

I stand by that now was the time to do the original Thunderbolts plot. We have no Avengers team. The whole villains pretending to be heroes story would work right now. Of course it would help if our MCU villains weren't jokes or dead, but Zemo could get some criminals together to pull the wool over everyone's eyes. I don't think the reception to this team/story is gonna be as excited as they think. Seems pretty bland. Like they are gonna mix the New Avengers origin issue with the Suicide Squad first movie. 

On 11/18/2023 at 7:09 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yeah me as well, I love Steven Yeun, but on paper he just doesn't seem right to play Sentry, is he going to have long blonde/white hair (a wig?) I dunno might just look odd, like Micheal Rooker in Suicide Squad...either way I generally believe in Marvel Studios and their ability to cast, they really have not done much in ways of letting me down, so if they think Mr. Yeun is the right choice, I''ll reserve my opinion until I can see what's what.

I also have faith in their castings, well most of the time, but he just doesn't look the part...and for a character like Sentry I think they should have found that someone who looks the part. You know, big dude with blonde hair. In any case like you say I'll wait to see what comes out of it, but right now I can't help but be a little bugged. 

Not a fan of Sentry anyway. His retcon story was so contrived, forced and ridiculous that its clear that the character is just a vanity project. That aside, if you're gonna bring the character to some other medium like an action figure or a movie, it needs to look like that character.

Imagine hasbo putting out a figure that looks like Steve Yeun and telling you its supposed to be Sentry. Imagine casting Rob Schneider in the role. Ridiculous. Clearly they learned nothing from the absurd casting, outfitting and even inclusion into the MCU, of the Eternals movie.

And I swear, they're making these choices JUST to generate publicity and get people riled up. 

There's lots of ways they can handle the Sentry.  Steven Yeuh can be the Robert Reynolds persona, who transforms into Sentry--who can still have Yeuh likeness even with the long stringy blonde hair.
Sentry doesn't really have the emotional toehold like other characters do, so I think changing up who plays him can still work just fine.
And don't forget that Tatiana Maslany still played She-Hulk, while being two radically-different body types.

On 11/18/2023 at 5:15 PM, AndyL said:

Big Yuen fan but I must say this is just a terrible casting. While I'm sure his acting the part will be fine whatever happened to trying to cast people that actually look like the character? I miss the good old days. Dear Lord Disney. Have you ever even heard of Charlie Hunnam?

Charlie.jpeg

Why do you think Marvel re creating a new Sentry at the moment? So he will look like Yuen's version and therefore have MCU Synergy

I would  prefer someone like Ryan Gosling, who could play aloof mentally disturbed individual struggling with his own demons, but I'm sure Steven Yuen is skilled actor who can do the job with his own twist, although thanks to Invincible he fits more into Peter Parker type archetype now, but casting really won't be the problem, the real question is about movie script and direction, since recent MCU movies have tendency to be incredibly mediocre and uninspiring.