Daredevil: Born Again

Outsiders

Daredevil: Born Again is the latest New York-based TV series whose production has been disrupted by the WGA strike.

The show wrapped around 1 PM Eastern today with no filming and production is slated to continue tomorrow, according to sources.  Marvel’s upcoming revival on Disney+ has been shooting for the past two months, with an eight-month shooting schedule for an 18-episode new season.

Source: Deadline

On 5/8/2023 at 6:35 PM, RobertD said:

I had no idea this was going to be 18 episodes.  That's a heck of a lot compared to the other Disney+ shows. 

Yes. If I've learned anything from the Disnet+ shows that I watched, sometimes less is better. Especially if it's nor actually a good show 18 episodes of a bad show is toture.

On 5/8/2023 at 9:06 PM, AndyL said:

Yes. If I've learned anything from the Disnet+ shows that I watched, sometimes less is better. Especially if it's nor actually a good show 18 episodes of a bad show is toture.

It's that way with almost so many streaming series on so many platforms. A lot of them have only five or six episodes of story at most and then stretch that **** out over ten or twelve episodes. Eighteen sounds like way too much.

On 5/8/2023 at 10:54 PM, since83 said:

I hope this strike doesn't drag on too long. We already had enough delays as far as I'm concerned. 

The big studios, Disney especially, have been pretty obstinate and downright dismissive of what the WGA is asking for. I hope it doesn't, but it may need to drag on for quite a while and get them to feel it before they're ready to negotiate in good faith and update fifteen year old agreements.

On 5/9/2023 at 2:09 AM, Atlantis said:

Of what little I know of the strike, the demands seem fairly reasonable. I'll need to do some more research

They're completely reasonable. The four big ones are:
1. Update the residuals agreement for the 2020s, since the same residuals model has been in use since the last strike ended in 2008 and when streaming was no where near as huge as it is now.
2. Minimum Basic Agreement salaries (minimum pay) have not been updated for years, too, and have fallen behind inflation.
3. Reform the use of mini-rooms, in which only a small number of writers are employed for a short time before a show starts production. Writers in mini-rooms typically work longer hours (compared to full writers rooms), may not be considered "full time," and are usually paid the minimum for the work they do before a series is picked up (if a show is picked up at all). And there is often a long period of time in between where they may not be working at all. Some writers who work on the pilot or first few scripts or show bible or whatever also may be not asked back when a show is greenlit.
4. Regulations regarding the use of creative AI.

There are a number of other things they're asking for, too, but the above seem like the most reasonable, and if the studios agreed to these four things at least, the strike would probably end.

• 1 month later...

Deadline is reporting that production for Disney's Daredevil: Born Again shut down completely and will not continue until the WGA strike is over.

Writers based out of New York have picketed the Marvel series Daredevil with production being shut down numerous times, more recently on June 12th.  Production was to resume again the next day but picketing members of the Teamster Local 817 and IATSE Locals 829 and 52 refused to cross the line.

Daredevil: Born Again has been shooting in and around New York for the past three months with production scheduled for an eight-month shoot for the 18-episode season for Disney+.  Matt Corman and Chris Ord, who wrote and executive produced the series can't provide services as they are with the strike.  The new season centers on Charlie Cox’s Daredevil aka Matt Murdock, an attorney by day and crimefighter by night. Vince D’Onofrio reprises his role as mob boss Wilson Fisk aka Kingpin.

• 3 months later...

Accroding to THR, Disney and Kevin Feige weren't happy with the direction their upcoming Disney+ Daredevil: Born Again series was heading and so last month they quietly let go head writers Chris Ord and Matt Corman and also released the directors for the remainder of the season as part of a significant creative reboot of the series.

Back in June production was halted because of the writers strike and at that time only a few of the 18 episodes slated for the season had been shot.

Sources say that Corman and Ord crafted a legal procedural that did not resemble the Netflix version, known for its action and violence. Cox didn’t even show up in costume until the fourth episode. Marvel, after greenlighting the concept, found itself needing to rethink the original intention of the show.

Some legal scenes are necessary, but the show has to be skewed toward action and violence. Otherwise, don't bother. I will say, I don't worship the Netflix like others do. It did a lot right, but quite a bit needed work. But the tone does need to be present. I'd like to see more villains though. And maybe even not turned into jokes or dead before they actually do anything.

I mean, I guess that's good if they're actually trying to make it more like the Netflix show. There were reports that Phase 5 was going to be tweaked for quality over quantity and given that at the moment, I have no idea if anything that was supposed to come out in 2024 is actually coming out next year, I'd say they're making true on their word.

If that's true, then I'm good with it. I get he's a lawyer but I don't want to watch Matt Murdock, Lawyer. I want to watch Daredevil 

On 10/11/2023 at 8:29 AM, Ironspider428 said:

I mean, I guess that's good if they're actually trying to make it more like the Netflix show. There were reports that Phase 5 was going to be tweaked for quality over quantity and given that at the moment, I have no idea if anything that was supposed to come out in 2024 is actually coming out next year, I'd say they're making true on their word.

This show was the crown jewel for Netflix. They should try to re-capture that experience

This sounds like an upper management issue.  When a TV show goes before the cameras, there's a commitment in terms of both money and effort.  They have nailed down what they want the show to be by the time the first ep is shot.   
They know then what they are going to give their audience.....supposedly.
So to halt, and reverse course and re-do things from scratch says to me that someone came along and realized that things were either TOO DIFFERENT, or TOO MUCH THE SAME, and called for a re-think.
if you look at the critical and audience responses from the prior shows, there's a lot of unevenness to them, hence a lot of mandates coming down from on high.  There's a lot of stress to do something that works, to catch eyes and keep them watching.
It's not necessarily a bad thing, but neither is it good....it boils down to them throwing s*** at the walls to see what sticks.

It really could go either way, people they initially hired weren't really well experienced or well known so hard to care for their vision. Hopefully, they find new creatives who have authentic take and approach good enough to make something on the par with Netflix but you also don't want a cheap imitation of that as well. Something tells me they won't have 18 episodes anymore due to how prohibitively more expensive it got due to new contract rules that were achieved thanks to strikes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2023 at 8:47 AM, Hordak Rules said:

If that's true, then I'm good with it. I get he's a lawyer but I don't want to watch Matt Murdock, Lawyer. I want to watch Daredevil 

My hope is that they show him as a razor sharp lawyer, when they do scenes involving his career. They made him look a mess before (he was a mess) and he needs that high level status back. Being at the top of his game increases his worth, and that money allows him to more freedom to take cases he wants and also have time to be a credible Daredevil.

Dario Scardapane, known for his work on Netflix's Marvel series The Punisher, has been chosen as the new showrunner for Marvel Studios' Daredevil television series. The show is currently undergoing a creative overhaul, and Scardapane will play a key role in shaping its direction.

Having recently directed episodes of Loki season two, Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead have been brought on board to helm the remaining episodes of Daredevil's first season on Disney+.

Originally, Daredevil: Born Again was in the midst of production in New York when it was halted due to a writers and actors strike. Upon reviewing the footage, Marvel executives decided to take the series in a new creative direction. Chris Ord and Matt Corman, who were initially leading the project as head writers, have since departed.

While some scenes and episodes that have already been shot will be retained, other serialized elements will be introduced to enhance the storytelling. Scardapane will be responsible for writing the new episodes and incorporating the existing footage.

Benson and Moorhead will bring this first season to a close as they take on the role of directing the new episodes. The exact number of episodes for this season is yet to be determined. Corman and Ord will remain involved as executive producers, contributing their expertise to the series.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like the whole Netflix Daredevil band might be getting back together for the upcoming Daredevil: Born Again series. According to reports by insider Jeff Sneider, both Elden Henson (Foggy Nelson) and Deborah Ann Woll (Karen Page) from the Netflix Daredevil series will be joining Charlie Cox and Vincent D’Onofrio for the upcoming series on Disney+. Daredevil: Born Again will run for 18 episodes. Both Cox and D’Onofrio made appearances in the new Echo series now on Disney+ and Hulu and there was an after-credit scene attached to the last episode of that series that seems to be setting up the story for Daredevil.

There were also reports back in March of last year that Jon Bernthal who played Frank Castle/The Punisher in the Netflix universe would also be returning for this series and last October it was reported that Dario Scardapane, known for his work on Netflix's Marvel series The Punisher, had been chosen as the new showrunner for Marvel Studios' Daredevil television series and that the series was undergoing a creative overhaul.

Foggy.jpg

Well this is good news, this show is shaping up to be a 4th season of the netflix show, but truth is I really am not a huge fan of Elden as Foggy, I just don't like that character, love Deborah as Karen, but the fact they are keeping everyone means netflix is canon and that is what I want.