Chiwetel Ejiofor Joins The Cast Of Venom 3

Outsiders

Sources from within have informed Deadline that Chiwetel Ejiofor has closed a deal to co-star opposite Tom Hardy in Sony and Marvel’s Venom 3.  No details as to Ejiofor's character.

Tom Hardy will produce besides returning to reprise the titular character with writer Kelly Marcel writing the screenplay from a story she and Hardy wrote. Marcel will also produce and direct the third installment. Avi Arad, Matt Tolmach, Amy Pascal, and Hutch Parker also are producing.

Plot details are unknown other than Hardy is returning as the lethal protector Venom.

Ejiofor reprised his role as Baron Mordo in Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

On 5/19/2023 at 6:37 AM, Hogun said:

Wouldn't it be funny if he played the SSU's version of Mordo?  Unlikely, but I could see it happening.

I bet you're not far off. I bet he's that universe's Sorcerer Supreme. And I bet there's going to be some universe jumping going on. Hopefully he'll meet one of the Spider-Men. It would be cool if Garfield got to play Spidey one more time.

On 5/19/2023 at 9:28 AM, AndyL said:

I bet you're not far off. I bet he's that universe's Sorcerer Supreme. And I bet there's going to be some universe jumping going on. Hopefully he'll meet one of the Spider-Men. It would be cool if Garfield got to play Spidey one more time.

Honestly there’s ZERO chance he’s playing Mordo. (Ok, a 0.0001% chance). Any of that would require an agreement with Marvel Studios to use the character, or even to use the title Sorcerer Supreme.

And it’s not like they want to use some random character Marvel isn’t using. Mordo is THE primary antagonist for one of their biggest characters.  Why would Sony either pay them, or give some sort of concessions to Marvel for using Spider-Man, just to use a character they don’t own who has zero substantial relationship to Spider-Man. 

I'm not a fan of casting actors who already play someone in the MCU as someone else in the same universe, Sony may technically be their own universe, but also they are not since we know they do co-exist, so I'm not big on him playing anyone other then Mordo, if he's playing Mordo here which seems unlikely I'll be fine, but if he's someone else entirely I think thats another blunder from Sony, Sony just does silly things and it never favours well.

On 5/19/2023 at 9:02 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

I'm not a fan of casting actors who already play someone in the MCU as someone else in the same universe, Sony may technically be their own universe, but also they are not since we know they do co-exist, so I'm not big on him playing anyone other then Mordo, if he's playing Mordo here which seems unlikely I'll be fine, but if he's someone else entirely I think thats another blunder from Sony, Sony just does silly things and it never favours well.

What if it's a character with a lot of makeup where the actor doesn't resemble their previous role? If that's the case I would be ok with that.

On 5/19/2023 at 10:48 AM, glhshelby said:

Honestly there’s ZERO chance he’s playing Mordo. (Ok, a 0.0001% chance). Any of that would require an agreement with Marvel Studios to use the character, or even to use the title Sorcerer Supreme.

And it’s not like they want to use some random character Marvel isn’t using. Mordo is THE primary antagonist for one of their biggest characters.  Why would Sony either pay them, or give some sort of concessions to Marvel for using Spider-Man, just to use a character they don’t own who has zero substantial relationship to Spider-Man. 

We'll just agree to disagree on that. It's not like Sony's been churning out the bangers with anything not involving Spider-Man or certain involved MCU characters. We all know Spidey and Venom are on an eventual crash course. What better way to make it happen than by using some of that convoluted, crazy, confusing, make it up as you go, fix it all multiverse/time travel logic. I like my chances but I guess we just wait and see.

On 5/19/2023 at 7:48 PM, Emnems80 said:

What if it's a character with a lot of makeup where the actor doesn't resemble their previous role? If that's the case I would be ok with that.

I'm going with a different character, probably using either Make-Up or CGI to make him unrecognisable 

On 5/20/2023 at 2:16 AM, leokearon said:

I'm going with a different character, probably using either Make-Up or CGI to make him unrecognisable 

Which to me poses the question to why hire him at all. I'm sure there are more than a few other actors out there with as good or better acting skills and a lot cheaper price that wouldn't require expensive means to cover their identity. And as things are now in Hollywood I don't think there's any recognizable actor out there that is willing to take a job and not get at least a few minutes of face time. A newer actor maybe would and certainly a stunt or background actor for sure. But a guy who's had several high profile jobs as leads and major supporting? Well I just don't see it. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Sony paid premium for an actor that they're just going cover in makeup. They do have a history of not making the best choices with their budget. I just don't get it. Maybe they're just giving Marvel the bird and saying we'll cast your Sorcerer Supreme as club bouncer.