NSC After-con - SDCC 2016

tarot

Hello and welcome to a new edition of the Near Complete Set After-con – SDCC 2016. For those who don’t know this a look at all the official figure that were revealed at the SDCC, telling you who they are, where they come from and why you need them in your collection. But really this is just to show how they look next to the comic images.

As always please note that these are my personal opinion and Rumours are still only rumours (though I will be mentioning them).

We started last time with the best wave. This time why don’t we start with worse.

2hi0bqt.jpg

Okay I’m not going to go into too much detail for this wave. It is extremely disappointing. 2 figures (Brother Voodoo and Dormammu) from last year’s SDCC exclusive, granted they are for general release and one figure (Dr. Strange) that is the exact same as the one previously release but with a new cape. They could have at least painted him blue and black for a somewhat classic look (even if it’s not accurate). The only thing I can think of is that all the budget went into the 2 MCU figures. They look okay but not amazing. The only saving grace is the 2 new comic figure, Nico and Iron Fist. Rumour has it that there will be 2 more figures in this wave, The SDCC Enchantress (which is great for those who could get her) and an Ancient One figure, which more than likely will be the MCU version.

Now onto something more positive.

nz7g9.jpg

Now this is a proper wave. Granted it has 3 Spider-men but at least they are all different characters but one of them is a new character and a requested update. Not sure why they decided to do the other version but the design. We get a fantastic new breakout character as well as a figure we all knew as going to be made since the last wave and an extremely underrated character finally gets a figure (which hopefully will be used for more furry hero/villains. Beast, Vermin and Werewolf by Night come to mind.) Rumour has it that Shocker will be in this wave with a repainted Sandman for the BAF. Honestly I hope they leave him for the next wave so we can get another character look Doppelganger, with Man Spider swappable parts.

· All New, All Different Spider-man 2099

o Story: This is what Miguel O’Hara looks like after the Secret Wars. The story is that he is basically he is stuck in the 616 universe and he is trying to prevent Alchemax from destroying his time of 2099.

o Buy? It’s not an absolute most. The Design IMO is great. But I don’t see many people excited over it. I say get it if you are a fan of 2099.While not in the Spider-verse, I would say get it just to make that display larger (can pretend he is a new character). Spider-man fans this is a most.

· Symbiote Spider-man

o Story: All (or at least most) comic fans know this story. This is the costume that Spider-man began wearing during and after the first Secret Wars. He later learnt that it was a living alien symbiote that it was trying to fuse with him. He later removes it. Black Cat later made him a cloth version which he wore up until Venom first appears. He has return to it a few time, usually during his darker storylines.

o Buy? If you do not have one of the earlier versions, then I absolutely recommend getting this version. It is an extreme most have for any Spidey collection. Even if you do have it, it is a very good update.

· Spider-UK

o Story: The Spider-man of the Captain Britain Corp (I swear you probably find a version of all hero in that Corps), UK was one of the first to realise that something was wrong with the Great Web. He went out to recruit many Spidey’s as well as providing the team with dimension hopping tech. so essentially if it wasn’t for him, the Spider-verse would have been destroyed. He later teamed up with Arana’s Spider-girl and became the leader of the Dimension Hoping team the Web Warriors.

o Buy? Again this is not a figure that most people will want. But I believe he is an essential part of the Spider-verse as well has the Leader of the Web Warrior who we only need 3 more figure to complete. So let you decide if you want it yourself.

· Green Goblin

o Story: Green Goblin is one of Spider-man’s greatest foes. The father of Peter’s best friend Harry Osborn, Norman Osborn was an industrialist who created a formula that enhances his strength. However, this drove him crazy and created a new persona. GG fought Spidey over the year even escaped death and lived him Europe where he worked behind the seen and made Spidey’s life miserable. He returned and was later arrested.

o Buy? I personally think this is the best version of GG yet. While the TB version of good, this one tops it. Spidey fans will need him, as well as Thunderbolts and Avengers figures.

· Kamala Khan’s Ms Marvel

o Story: A Muslim-America, Kamala was breathed in the Terrigen Mist that was spread over New York and was in cased in a cocoon. In there, she had a vision of Cap, Iron Man and Carol Denver’s Captain Marvel, which made her choice one of them. She choice Danvers and gained a version of her costume as well as “stretching” powers. She took up the mantle of Ms Marvel and has since joined the Avengers and recently quit.

o Buy? However you feel about Kamala Khan (is she overrated? Yes. Is she a bad character? No way in Hell), you have to admit that many people have been asked for her for a since she was introduced. Is she placed weirdly in a Spidey wave? Yes, and No. Spidey line seem to allow many Street level heroes and Kamala is a street level hero, who has teamed up with Spidey a few times.

· Jackal

o Story: Miles Warren was a college professor of Peter who was in love with Gwen Stacy. When she was killed, he blames Spidey for it and worked to get his revenge. First appeared as the Jackal when he tricked Punisher into attacking the Web head. He eventually created clones of Spidey and Gwen Stacy and had them fight Spidey. This would eventually lead to the controversial Clone Saga. Basically, this guy is the “father” of all Spider-clones, including Ben Reilly and Kaine. This version is based on the most recent Spider-Island saga.

o Buy? Like I said before, Jackal is an extremely underrated villain and is an absolute most for any Spidey collection. It is also the best figure in this wave. If you only get one, get this.

Next onto the X-men wave 2

2enu7f4.jpg

Just looking at the line-up already make this wave a hundred time better than the first wave and that wave was fantastic (It sold all on all Etailer and I have to wait till after my vacation to get them). We get a figure that everyone though was going to be a BAF but released signally, a highly request version of a character and 3 brand new and extremely requested characters. The biggest surprise of this wave is the BAF. I don’t think anyone was expecting that. They said there is still more to be revealed (probably in NYCC), with rumours having Wolverine (more than likely Tiger Stripe) and Shatterstar (who might not get confirmation giving how low ranking he is but I have been wrong before.

· Utopia Colossus

o Story: This is Colossus as the X-men moved to San Francisco and eventually to the island known as Utopia. It was short lived as he eventually became Colosonaut.

o Buy? This was a short lived costume so it’s kind of odd they picked it but the figure itself looks fantastic. I would say you should get this if you didn’t get either version or if you just want a new version of Colossus

· Jim Lee’s Blue Strike Team Cyclops.

o Story: The original X-men returned to the team and everyone got new costumes and was divided into 2 main teams Blue and Gold. This is Cyclops as he led the Blue team. It was designed by Jim Lee and is what he wore in the 90’s cartoon.

o Buy? This was a highly requested version of Cyclops. While we did get a version of it but it was extremely rare and really a bad figure so it’s nice to have. A most for any X-men fan.

· Disco Dazzler

o Story: Alison Blaire was a disco rock star who was one of 2 mutants detected by Cerebro (the other being Kitty) and was about to be taken by the Hellfire Club but was rescued by the X-men. She was offered membership but declined as she wants to be a rock star. She had her own solo comic before going the team.

o Buy? Disco Freaking Dazzler. On Frigging Roller stake. I seriously saying you have to buy this figure. Not only for your X-men wave but also for you’re A-Force collection, which we nearly have completed.

· Polaris

o Story: Polaris was a college girl with green hair when she was kidnapped by Mesmero, who tricked her into thinking she was Magneto daughter (who thought he was really right. Make you think what else he knows). She eventually escaped and joined the X-men where she began a long termed relationship with Havok. This is an update to her classic costume, which is wore with the Starjammer.

o Buy? A extremely long requested figure, this is a most have for any collection. Better get her as she might never get another figure.

· Sunfire

o Story: Sunfire is the national hero of Japan (just like Captain America and Red Guardian). He first met the X-men when he was protecting a democrat. He was invited to join the X-men to save the old team but left after rescuing. He would encounter the team over the year. He eventually joined the Avengers as part of the Unity Squad.

o Buy? We did get a version of Sunfire before but that was the Age of Apocalypse version (which I consider a different character). This is the version that many fans have been asking for years and is well deserved. It is need for your X-men collection as well as your Avengers collection. Now if only they could release some Big Hero 6 comic figures. Oh and a Thunderbird 1 figure, we will complete that team.

· Warlock

o Story: Warlock is a member of the Techno organic race the Phalanx. He was considered a mutant since he had individual thinking. He would join up with the New Mutants and become extremely close friend with Doug Ramsey before both their deaths. He was later seen during the Conquest storyline which this figure is based on.

o Buy? This was the best surprise of the SDCC. It looks fantastic and is a figure I never thought we see. Well worth getting all this fantastic wave for.

Finally, what I think is the best wave announced, the Guardians of the Galaxy VOL 2 wave 1

2vdmjc2.jpg

This wave is fantastic. All that has been shown are brand new character. We have the fan choice winner as well as one of the runner-up (we just need Mysterio now). We also get one of the choice from that very same fan poll, which many people knew was coming thanks to the teenage build. We now have the first of what I hope is a full team of the Classic GOTG team. The BAF might not be one everyone wants but it’s a character no one as expecting and who was a main villain for one of the figures. As for the rest, which is said to be 2 MCU figure, now rumour has been released but my GUESS is that it will be Starlord and Yondu.

· Angela

o Story: Angela was originally a character created for the comic Spawn before she was taken by the original creator and sold to Marvel. In Marvel she is the older sister of Thor who was lost in Haven. She was raised by the angel to fight Asgard and eventually thrown into Marvel’s world and joined the GOTG.

o Buy? Angela is not a character that has never had a figure before (mostly during her Spawn run), but this is the figure many people voted for, including myself. And she looks great, all new mold. I thinking you should definitely get her for your Thor and GOTG collection.

· Darkhawk

o Story: Christopher Powel found a gem that transformed him, in the being he called Darkhawk. He would become a hero, joining both the Avenger and New Warriors. He eventually learnt that the stone was one of many to transform people into Raptors.

o Buy? Away back, TB told us they had planned to make this before it jumped over to Hasbro but they couldn’t thinking how to do the wings. Now Hasbro has done it and it looks fantastic. Avenger, Cosmic and New Warrior fan need this figure.

· Nova

o Story: Sam Alexander is the son of a Nova Corp member. His dad died before he knew him so all he had left of him was a helmet. When Titus attacked him he took the helmet and become a Nova. He has joined the GOTG and Avengers.

o Buy? Most people saw this coming and it’s great. A Most for cosmic fan as well as GOTG, Avengers and Spiderman fans (he was a member of Ultimate Spider-man cartoon support cast).

· Major Victory

o Story: Also known as just Vance Astro, he was an astronaut that was frozen in time and woke in the year 3000. There he met some alien and helped fight the Badoons by forming the original GOTG. This team would eventually have travelled to the present to defeat Korvac. He is also a possible future of the hero Justice.

o Buy? This is a nice surprise. It is nice for the modern version of the GOTG which he also appeared but unless they do another team member then it might not be worth getting. Still a great figure though.

· Titus

o Story: Titus was a member of the Nova Corps, before he went rogue and killed Sam Alexanders’ Dad. He travelled to earth and fought Kid Nova. He was a major part of the GOTG cartoon as well has appearing in a Nova theme episode in the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon

o Buy? Titus is a relatively new character. Not many people knew who he was. He is a nice addition to a collection but is not essential.

Well that it for the confirmed waves. I know that there is the teaser figure but they have not been confirmed for a wave so I really can talk about them until then.

So……………………what do you guys think? Agree? Disagree? Tell me to shut up? Let me know below.

Thanks for the time and effort. I don't know too much about comic book characters other then what I read breifly in 95 and 96 before I got burned out on them. I did read some of them while in middle school as well which is where I got first introduced to the X-men and Wolverine as well as Punisher. Some of the kids I met in school let me read some of theirs. I mostly just watch cartoon shows based off of these characters. I am super excited for Jim Lee Cyclops. Green Goblin is a major want for me. Then Polaris, Dazzler, and Angela. I don't know what to make of Mary Jane yet.

Nice rundown Tarot!

My hands down favorites of the waves:

Spidey Wave 7: JACKAL

If by the grace of God we actually get a Shocker...Jackal slinks to #2 for me. Regardless...we NEED more classic and and obscure Spidey bad guys like Jackal...like badly.

Xmen Wave 3: DAZZLER

If 90s ShatterStar or Maverick wind up rounding out the wave by chance, then she will roller skate down to #3 for me.

GOTG Wave 2: ANGELA

Darkhawk as an easy #2 for me and nothing else about the wave excites me...at all.

Dr. Strange: IMMORTAL IRON FIST

Nico is #2 right behind Rand but as someone who believes the Immortal run by Fraction/Aja is by far the greatest Iron Fist tale ever written/drawn, I couldn't be more excited for the fig. The rest of wave bores me to no end and I've found Strange to be a boring character for the most part in the comics so I guess the wave reflects my feelings about the good Dr. If only Jason Aaron had been writing the character for the past 50 years...id be much more invested lol but I'm stoked for the movie because Marvel delivers on the MCU side and I have very little doubt that it won't be a great movie.

Dr. Strange Wave: Nico. This wave is very "strange" but she looks the most dynamic. This is a fairly mehh wave as you noted. It would have been really nice to have a comic Baron Mordor and we should have got a classic Dr.Strange.

Spider-Man Wave 7: Without a doubt the hardest wave to choose one figure I want most. At the moment Black Suite Spiderman as I just really want one on that mold. I want Jackal, Ms.Marvel and Green Goblin super bad as well though.

X-Men Wave 3: Cyclops. Without a doubt. Considering how much I want that Sunfire that is saying a lot. I will be really happy to get Tiger Stripe Wolverine but they need to give us X-23 Wolverine and Old Man Logan!

Guardians of The Galaxy Wave 2: Its cool but I really hope they give us a Classic Drax, White Outfit Gamora, and The Collector in the second wave.

The only wave we might see this year is Dr.Strange correct?

Well Hasbro beat their record of 6 waves last year with 7 this year so while it might be nice to think we will get two more waves this year...I sincerely doubt we will see 9 waves before years end.

Have to remember that the Fall season belongs to Star Wars while Legends rule the spring/summer.

I would absolutely LOVE Hasbro to prove me wrong as I would be all for 9 legends waves a year but pretty sure it won't be this year. Next year however it could be quite possible to think we might see 3 full Spidey waves versus the standard two considering Homecoming comes out.

Plus, when you factor in that there "could" be a full wave of Netflix figs and possibly even FF, in addition to the guaranteed additional XMEN figs we will see...2017 might just climb to 9 waves but at the least, I'm sure we will 7 again guaranteed.

My wallet is telling Hasbro to BRING IT!

God, I hope we get the X-Men wave this year. I need that Cyclops......plus we need like a ton more X figures so they need to start getting them out! At the very very least we need Psylocke, Gamibt, Emma Frost, JL Storm and Jubilee, (might as well let us make a real JL display) X-23 Wolverine, Domino, Old Man Logan and for the love of god a decent Magneto figure.....and a hover chair Professor X obviously.