Top 10 ML for the Year
1. Scarlet Spider (Kaine)- I'm a huge fan of the character from Yost's series a few years ago and this one has a much better sculpt and articulation, plus those stingers are awesome. One drawback would be the lack of thwipping hands, but a quick custom paint job for a Ben Reilly hand and it's much better.
2. Sauron- I mean he's a huge, pterodactyl man with the one largest wingspans in ML, an amazing sculpt, and a superb paint job, plus despite it all he can stand on his own. What else is there to say?
3. Psylocke- Despite the fact that this figure isn't perfect the classic colors and better articulation definitely make this a great figure, the accessories are superb. Truth be told, this one got a bit of custom work to make it this far, but I'd still rank it in the top five without the custom work.
4. Songbird- Love the sonic energy wings effect, plus its a figure that not only have I been hoping to get, it's an upgrade on a figure we were teased with and never actually got.
5. Mysterio- We've never had a ML Mysterio, and as a huge Spider-Man fan he had to make the list for that alone. Add to that the nice effects and the fact that he doesn't have a gimmick like that Spider-Man classics one? It's a win-win.
6. Prowler- Again another "never had a ML" Spidey character, despite the floppy add ons and the cape, it's a great addition to the Spider-Man collection.
7. Ghost Rider w/ Hell Cycle- It's amazing that it's take this long to get a good bike to go with Ghost Rider, but the set is excellent. The only thing keeping it this far down on the list is the color choice. As a huge Ghost Rider fan, I'd have liked a more modern color scheme for Johnny, something circa 2007.
8. Cloak and Dagger- Is it cheating to give them the same spot? I doubt they'd rank this high for me alone and so together they fill out that Spider-Man's supporting characters niche and that's enough for me. Cloak elevates the pair with his awesome translucent cloak and Dagger brings the duo down a bit with the head sculpt and paint.
9. Elektra- Holy...that head sculpt is spectacular! Add that to a good base body with some great sai and some swappable hands, easy entry to this list.
10. Thing and Black Dwarf/Cull Obsidian- I couldn't decide which one I liked better. Both are practically head to toe new sculpt (not sure of Black Dwarf's torso has an overlay or not). They're solid, imposing, and while Thing was desperately needed, more than Black Dwarf, the paint and sculpt on both is nothing to take lightly.
-Mr. Fantastic- Lost out to Thing, would have tied with Black Dwarf otherwise.
-Apocalypse- Great figure, but hard to pose dynamically, the ankle add ons are in the way constantly, plus had to buy Archangel just for the extra hand attachment.
-Thanos (Walmart)- Much better paint than the first, still has a terribly floppy torso.
-Wasp (Vintage)- Excellent figure, great head sculpt, cool wing effects, but largely, seen before. An effect or two might have helped it crack the Top 10.
-Dock Ock- The arms, having to replace them with the superior ToyBiz ones which not everyone has, so not a cost effective custom.
-Black Knight-Great figure, just not as needed or necessary in my collection.
-Spider-Punk- Not that I don't love Spider-Man variants, but this one would have had to be Kaine to crack the top 10. Awesome and fun figure.
-Spider-Man Noir- Again, no Spider-Man variant short of Kaine was getting in the Top 10, but it's a great figure that I'm happy to own.
-Carnage (Updated)- Not a lot of new going on here. The new hands and head are excellent, definitely the best Carnage figure in ML but the lack of new hurts it.
-Invincible Iron Man
-Iron Spider (MCU)- No legs, probably would have placed higher if it had come with the legs.
-Taskmaster- Still can 't warm up to the head sculpt, don't know why.